Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 04:42 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Have you ever been on the Eastern Shore of MD? You could pick that road up and put it there and it would fit right in.

And how is that safe to drive on at 130MPH? Animals can cross into the road, there might be debris in the road, there could be a pothole...those fields to the left and right are harvested at some point...

You simply do not have the reaction time at those speeds to deal with any of the many things that could present themselves to you.

There is no reasonable argument that driving 130 MPH on a public road is reasonable or safe. Zero.

I am passing people. If I'm not passing anybody I move to the right, but honestly anymore on most of the highways that never happens because there is never open and clear roadway and there are always other cars around, and I'm driving faster than most of them. Lane etiquette in the US is basically completely gone.

Really the only road I regularly travel anymore where I can ride for any legnth of time in the right lane is I-64. Often in fact I have to pass cars on the right because of the aforementioned lack of lane etiquette. I wouldn't have an issue with people riding in the left lane if they would surrender it to a faster driver.

Lets not lecture to me about driving safety if you think driving on a public road at 130 MPH is reasonable lol
Yet you drove 100+ in a rental during Atlanta traffic.....
Old 01-03-24, 04:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

What plagues us here is the personal fable, the idea that nothing bad is going to happen to us and that we have unique skills or ability that will allow us to perform better than the average person in any given situation. Note that you guys (Stroock and Striker) are still both really young, that personal fable fades as you age. You CAN die driving your car at 130 MPH, I promise you, and you CAN kill others too...I promise you. You are not any more capable of driving a car at those speeds than any other average driver, your ability is average...your reaction times are average. Things you dont expect will happen...DO Happen...I promise you.
I know all that and I still want cars that can do 130 and far faster. I'm not average in the slightest btw when it comes to reaction speed, I'm actually very much aware of where I rank because I compete in a sport that is hyper demanding of that ability.

I also make sure I only push high speeds like that when I know the area enough to leave windows and time so if someone else shows up I can adjust speed down. If a deer jumps so be it. That's my risk to take

Ive also already dodged a few accidents at 110 no issues. Worst one was a tire blowout that sent a car across two lanes when everyone was going about 95 on a western trip, I dodged but the guys behind me didn't react in time.
Old 01-03-24, 04:54 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Even on most of the Autobahn you can't cruise at 130.

I am always comfortable around 80, I'm a little faster than the majority of the cars on the road but not so much moreso that I don't have reaction time if somebody does something dumb. Some roads that stretches to 85 or perhaps 90 for breif periods. At a delta of 60 MPH faster than slower driving vehicles you just have no reaction time.
The Autobahn stretches with no speed limit are often short and interrupted by sections with speed limits starting with the first at 120 km/h. Some people cruise at 160 km/h or 100 mph. I cruised at about 80 mph as I would here. When I got the old GS300 up to 122, there was no traffic. It was late on a Friday night north of Zzyzx and south of Baker. I didn’t stay in it long and was back to 80 mph for the rest of the trip.
Old 01-03-24, 04:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i dispute basically all of this lol but fine lets assume it's true, one key differentiating factor is i only do my triple digit pulls (like the 120+ stuff) on stretches of highway i'm familiar with and have driven on many times... so i'm never thinking about where am i going and only on monitoring the car and the immediate surroundings
Why not do it on a racetrack then?

Originally Posted by Striker223
I have thermals/NVGs to see them but that is my main concern as well, the road I use is open field both sides very far and you can check beforehand if anything is there. One of my cars also has thermal mounted on it.
Oh please lol. You're not a fighter pilot lol.

Yet you drove 100+ in a rental during Atlanta traffic.....
With the flow of traffic. Thats the whole point, and I said it specifically, its the delta between speeds that creates the danger. Driving along with the flow at 100 in that situation was safer than being the odd one out at 70. In a lot of ways driving 100 MPH along with the flow of traffic is safer than driving as the only car down a road at 100MPH when anything can just pop out in front of you.

I know all that and I still want cars that can do 130 and far faster. I'm not average in the slightest btw when it comes to reaction speed, I'm actually very much aware of where I rank because I compete in a sport that is hyper demanding of that ability.
You are way more average than you think...you say you "know all that" but if you did you would realize the danger. Like I said before, you're not a fighter pilot.

If you want to drive things fast (I get it, I like speed too) just go where its safe for you to do that...to a racetrack or other controlled course. There are many ways to get your speed fix without abusing public roads that are there for everybody to be able to use safely.
Old 01-03-24, 05:02 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
SW17LS is preaching the truth in here. I'm still still in my 30s and the need for speed hasn't left me yet - I just make time for track days. Even then, 100mph+ can still be very dangerous. I've spooked myself at Road Atlanta (a fast track) a few times.
oh road atlanta is an awesome track! been wanting to drive there for years now

so far only done pocono raceway, hit 162 and tbh the track being SO wide took some of the thrill out of it lol
Old 01-03-24, 05:11 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Why not do it on a racetrack then?
ughhh i wish but there's nothing even remotely close... not worth it for the 10 seconds of fun i'm looking for lol
Old 01-03-24, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with Steve. In general, those who want to drive at triple-digit-speeds + in the U.S. need to stop making excuses for doing it on public roads and go to a track.

And, as far as "not being a fighter pilot", I also agree. I was a pilot myself (and a rated Ground-Instructor)...but also had the sense to know the differences between what both I and my aircraft were safely and sensibly capable of, and never tried any silly Top Gun stuff myself like some pilots did when that movie came out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-24 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-03-24, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One thing I find really interesting is Pilots vs drivers. Pilots in general don't do dumb, dangerous stuff...but drivers do. Whats the difference? It’s really hard to become a pilot, it takes commitment and training and really easy to become a driver. The stakes seem much higher. If people took driving as seriously as flying the roads would be a lot safer.

If you look at likelihood of dying in a plane vs a car, I would say the lack of care and training given by drivers doesn’t make much sense.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-03-24 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-03-24, 05:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

One thing I find really interesting is Pilots vs drivers. Pilots in general don't do dumb, dangerous stuff...but drivers do. Whats the difference?
Training. But less attitude in the air. Other pilots don’t cut you off You have to also consider that people see different brands every day, and different brands have different associations with different classes of people. Get cut off in a Rolls-Royce, is very different if you get cut off with a Hyundai Elantra vs some old person in a 1995 Buick Roadmaster with rust all over
Old 01-03-24, 06:43 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

SW17LS is preaching the truth in here. I'm still still in my 30s and the need for speed hasn't left me yet - I just make time for track days. Even then, 100mph+ can still be very dangerous. I've spooked myself at Road Atlanta (a fast track) a few times.
Originally Posted by Stroock639
oh road atlanta is an awesome track! been wanting to drive there for years now

so far only done pocono raceway, hit 162 and tbh the track being SO wide took some of the thrill out of it lol
My goal is to hit Road Atlanta this year hopefully.
Old 01-04-24, 06:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

SW17LS is preaching the truth in here.
indeed, and no way can anyone avoid deer jumping in front of their car.

and they're everywhere. i take a back road to next town over and there's always deer on the side of the road but i'm always aware they could jump out at any time... problem is, what do you do, drive at 10mph!?

it's so bad (particularly at night) with how many there are, i'm probably going to take a different route when it's dark from now on.

and i certainly wouldn't do twice legal speed limits (insanity).

not going to say i've never done dumb driving things but like steve says, as you get older, you realize how stupid they were and how luckily nothing bad happened.
Old 01-04-24, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
indeed, and no way can anyone avoid deer jumping in front of their car.
And at a rate of speed that high, a reaction could cause an incredibly bad accident, you would think it would be a single car accident but you just don't know that, at 130 MPH a car tumbling and flying through the air can travel a long distance...even if its just you though, is your life worth that one thrilling acceleration to 130 MPH? What about your family? Does anybody depend on you? Anybody like you around? There are also worse things than being killed. What if you could never walk again? What if for the next 50 years of your life somebody had to wipe your butt and feed you in a tube?

These things can happen to any of us, dont believe they can't happen to you guys. Its just not worth it, and if you want that thrill, do it in a place that is designed for that where you can limit the risk to yourself.

Old 01-04-24, 08:05 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

My older sister hit a deer at regular speed and hasn't been able to drive since, this was yearrrrrrrrs ago. She will take small, teeny roads (she lives out in the country) but she's scared to death of driving on main roads or interstate.

She's high strung to begin with, but that was the straw.

It came through the windshield and kicked her even.
Old 01-04-24, 08:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

It's not cars, but around here it's not uncommon to have sport bikes go flying by at 100-120+ speeds on the expressways or tollways sometimes in light to moderate traffic. They're weaving in and out of the lanes, passing in the right lanes. When this happens, I can't help but wonder in the back of my mind if I'll be coming up on some debris and then some kind of an accident scene hoping all the time that I won't. Fortunately, most of the time you can hear them coming.
Old 01-04-24, 08:28 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's not cars, but around here it's not uncommon to have sport bikes go flying by at 100-120+ speeds on the expressways or tollways sometimes in light to moderate traffic. They're weaving in and out of the lanes, passing in the right lanes. When this happens, I can't help but wonder in the back of my mind if I'll be coming up on some debris and then some kind of an accident scene hoping all the time that I won't. Fortunately, most of the time you can hear them coming.
As a former sport bike rider, this is true. 130mph used to be one hand on throttle, other hand resting cruising speed. As years passed, I eventually gave up street riding and only rode on the track before I gave it up altogether.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024