Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 07:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
it is exactly what it should be.
I agree, its just not luxurious traditionally
Old 02-03-24, 09:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

i have never understood an 'off road luxury vehicle' because if you ACTUALLY take it off road, it's going to get scratches, bumps, dents, etc., and you're likely going to have to trek sand, dirt, water, or worse into the interior. much rather have an intentional defender type interior than a range rover.

now if one's idea of off roading is driving to the golf course or the parking lot of some fancy hunting place, then the RR is the way to go.
Old 02-03-24, 09:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i have never understood an 'off road luxury vehicle' because if you ACTUALLY take it off road, it's going to get scratches, bumps, dents, etc., and you're likely going to have to trek sand, dirt, water, or worse into the interior. much rather have an intentional defender type interior than a range rover.

now if one's idea of off roading is driving to the golf course or the parking lot of some fancy hunting place, then the RR is the way to go.
‘doesn’t sound like you’re much of an enthusiast for cars. Maybe I’m wrong.

Its all about:
Spoiler

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-03-24 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-03-24, 09:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats why there are options.

You just described what everybody does with a Range Rover lol

What % of your LC’s capability do you use? Maybe 20%. No different. It’s a fast sporty car you use to drive to a restaurant hardly ever over 65-70 MPH because it looks cool and you like it.
Old 02-03-24, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘doesn’t sound like you’re much of an enthusiast for cars. Maybe I’m wrong.
clearly you're completely wrong. but you do you.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You just described what everybody does with a Range Rover lol
haha, true.

What % of your LC’s capability do you use? Maybe 20%.

No different. It’s a fast sporty car you use to drive to a restaurant hardly ever over 65-70 MPH because it looks cool and you like it.
the LC is a GT, not a sports car. not sure how to measure "20%". but certainly i bet a lot of people who buy a sports car like a porsche 911 turbo only use a fraction of its capabilities, but hey, they like the car, maybe they've always wanted one, more power to them.

i got the LC because as a car enthusiast i recognized its unique attributes and design, lexus NA v8 reliability, build quality, attention to detail, and relative rarity. not for everyone sure, but i don't care about that.
Old 02-03-24, 10:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

the LC is a GT, not a sports car. not sure how to measure "20%". but certainly i bet a lot of people who buy a sports car like a porsche 911 turbo only use a fraction of its capabilities, but hey, they like the car, maybe they've always wanted one, more power to them.

i got the LC because as a car enthusiast i recognized its unique attributes and design, lexus NA v8 reliability, build quality, attention to detail, and relative rarity. not for everyone sure, but i don't care about that.
Exactly…I just don’t understand casting aspersions towards people who buy an SUV like a Range Rover who never take it off road when people buy all manner of cars that have capability they don’t have and never need.

At the end of the day, we all buy cars we don’t need because we want them. Range Rovers are incredible vehicles, they are unique and stylish and well made and comfortable with great driving characteristics and driving positions, buying and driving one makes total sense to me even if you never use the off road capability. Just like driving your LC to a restaurant once a week is an amazing experience even if 90% of the cars capability is never realized in doing that.
Old 02-03-24, 10:17 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

I find it amusing how so many people don't approve of what other people drive. Who cares?

I would love it if someone tried to lecture me for driving my 12mpg LX that seats 8, driving it alone 99% of the time.
Old 02-03-24, 10:20 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
My wife isn’t even an enthusiast and isn’t really into cars. She just knows that the 6 is a downgrade and point blank said I’m not downgrading to a smaller engine. She’s had a V8 since we bought the first gen GX, to the second gen GX, then the Durango SRT and now the X7 M50i. I believe the RR V8 is the same TTV8 in the X7 and she doesn’t want to downgrade the engine from what we already have even though she doesn’t drive fast/hard but she likes what she likes. In principle I just have a hard time paying $25k more for a bigger engine.
Yep. V8s weren't the go-to for decades and decades for nothing. Luxury cars, trucks, sports cars, etc. etc.

That is a huggggge price increase though, for the V8. That's irritating. Those new RRs look absolutely amazing.

I do love it, your wife is literally 100% the person I describe in a lot of my rhetoric. Not a car enthusiast, but she likes her V8 and V8 attributes.
Old 02-03-24, 10:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly, I wouldn’t pay $25k for the V8, the 6 in the RR feels great. $10k? Sure.
Old 02-03-24, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Range Rovers are incredible vehicles, they are unique and stylish and well made and comfortable with great driving characteristics and driving positions, buying and driving one makes total sense to me even if you never use the off road capability.
i don't disagree with any of that, my point was a RR doesn't make sense to me if someone intends to use it off road! the luxury will get ruined.
other than that, love it!
Old 02-03-24, 10:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

, lexus NA v8 reliability, t.
I wonder what is more ancient ...my 4.0L GR V6 or your 5.0 UR V8. Both date back to the GWB era

Exactly…I just don’t understand casting aspersions towards people who buy an SUV like a Range Rover who never take it off road when people buy all manner of cars that have capability they don’t have and never need.

At the end of the day, we all buy cars we don’t need because we want them. Range Rovers are incredible vehicles, they are unique and stylish and well made and comfortable with great driving characteristics and driving positions, buying and driving one makes total sense to me even if you never use the off road capability. Just like driving your LC to a restaurant once a week is an amazing experience even if 90% of the cars capability is never realized in doing that.
The new GX550 and the RR Defender are also status symbols. They are lifestyle vehicles...from well know luxury brands that project certain lifestyles.

Originally Posted by AJT123
I find it amusing how so many people don't approve of what other people drive. Who cares?

I would love it if someone tried to lecture me for driving my 12mpg LX that seats 8, driving it alone 99% of the time.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yep. V8s weren't the go-to for decades and decades for nothing. Luxury cars, trucks, sports cars, etc. etc.

That is a huggggge price increase though, for the V8. That's irritating. Those new RRs look absolutely amazing.

I do love it, your wife is literally 100% the person I describe in a lot of my rhetoric. Not a car enthusiast, but she likes her V8 and V8 attributes.
yeah. big price jump

Honestly, I wouldn’t pay $25k for the V8, the 6 in the RR feels great. $10k? Sure.
Hard to justify that.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-03-24 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-03-24, 11:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i don't disagree with any of that, my point was a RR doesn't make sense to me if someone intends to use it off road! the luxury will get ruined.
other than that, love it!
You can off-road without damaging the car. I’ve taken lots of cars to places that would shock you, including my S Class. You just have to be careful,
Old 02-03-24, 11:13 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

You'd be surprised how many Range Rover owners take theirs off road, including some reasonably challenging stuff. I took all of mine off-road, individually at our places in the lakes and mountains, and also at owner meets.

The thing about a Range Rover (and this is true of certain other vehicles) isn't whether you actually do any somewhat ridiculous things with it - it's the fact that it can.
Old 02-03-24, 11:17 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I see the occasional GX when I'm offroading, but the majority of the time any newer vehicle I encounter off-road is a 4Runner, Wrangler, Bronco, or a midsize or half-ton pickup. Unless I'm just on dirt/gravel roads that aren't challenging, then I see all manner of crossovers.

Part of the reason I only bought an XLT F-150 is I didn't want to feel bad about ruining a Lariat or Platinum. My truck has certainly taken a bit of trail rash.

Old 02-03-24, 11:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames

The thing about a Range Rover (and this is true of certain other vehicles) isn't whether you actually do any somewhat ridiculous things with it - it's the fact that it can.
I don’t own a RR but I off road my LX and actually do “ridiculous things” with it lol. Knowing all that extra capability is there is a big part of the appeal, RR owners also get to enjoy that.

LX paint and leather/trim is very durable while still being very luxurious. Are RRs not?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024