Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 10:25 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

So we all get that "JLR reliability" is usually thought to be an oxymoron, but across my Range Rovers, my Jaguar XJs, my F-Type and now my Defender I've had remarkably good experiences and not one of them ever let me down. Other than a rattle on my F Type (fixed) and a trip to the dealer because the factory failed to fit the optional clear sight video rear-view mirror on my last XJ, the only times I've been to the dealer were for servicing. My Defender has been rock solid, no issues at all and has only ever been back to the dealer for scheduled service and oil changes. In fact the Defender is better now than when I bought it as it's had some great OTA upgrades including wireless CarPlay (it was originally wired only) and more.
Old 02-05-24, 10:52 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

My boss has a similar experience with his Defender. Only issue he has faced so far was that when he cracked a windshield, they didn't have a replacement for a month and the truck was so new at the time no other option was available.
Old 02-05-24, 11:49 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
LOL, its in access mode. It lowers way down to make it easier to get in and out of.

Yeah I couldn't bring myself to drive an Accord lol

How old is it? I would lease it and ditch it before 50k miles.

My uncle RR is a 2016 with 20k miles. It’s a Sunday church vehicle. He said he hasn’t had any issues.
Old 02-05-24, 12:06 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

My [husband's] L405 has had stupid issues like motorized armrest calling it quits, cameras intermittently deciding not to work, etc. but nothing major that prevented the vehicle from operating. I'll never buy one and think it's going to be a Lexus.
Old 02-05-24, 01:23 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

LOL, its in access mode. It lowers way down to make it easier to get in and out of.

Yeah I couldn't bring myself to drive an Accord lol

How old is it? I would lease it and ditch it before 50k miles.
I went from an IS to a Civic. It was a bit painful. I don’t drive for work. I will eventually go back to something more luxurious. The Civic gets more eyeball than either of my IS cars did because it is Aegean blue with red 19” wheels and it’s lowered a bit on RSR Down springs. People ask if it’s on coilovers. Nope. The a/c crapped out which is an issue Honda has to fix. Disappointing.
Old 02-05-24, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

So I went and extensively test drove 7 Series' today. I think if I get a sedan, its probably going to be a 7 Series. Its just such a more compelling vehicle than the W223 S Class, interior is so much better and the ride and drive is superior, plus they're cheaper.

The dealer let me go alone and I drove each one for about 35 minutes, an i7 and a 760. The i7 is such an incredible car...the 760 is very close. I really wish they offered the luxury line on the gas cars, if I could get a 760 with the luxury line exterior I would pull the trigger on that. I prefer the way the i7 drives, but the EV and traveling is an issue.

Had a beautiful white i7 on the showroom floor, this isn't the one I drove but this is a spec I would consider. The car really does look much better in person. Salesman told me lease deals on the i7 were great...

I also sat in an i5 and a 540i and they are nicer in person than the photos would suggest.
Old 02-05-24, 02:40 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

If you're serious about a 7 Series or i7 and you're not going to buy within six months, consider joining the BMW Car Club of America right away. There's a $1000 rebate on the 7 and i7, it comes from BMW directly, and it's on top of any deal you do at the dealer. The club administers the program for BMW. Normally you have to be a member for 12 months to get the rebate, but if you join and sign up for three years that's reduced to 6 months. So basically your $150 or so three year membership nets you a $1000 check.

https://www.bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate

But wait! There's more!

You will get Roundel every month. IMO it's easily the best car club magazine, and it's worth the price of membership alone. It's a great car magazine full stop.

I am still a CCA member despite selling my last BMW in 2021, mostly for Roundel. I joined in 2005 when I bought my 545i and have been a member ever since.
Old 02-05-24, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Cool! Thanks for the tip
Old 02-05-24, 02:47 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Have you considered the 8 Gran Coupe? The one with a 4.4 V8 twin turbo is in your budget. Too over the top sporty for you? It looks great.

I think buying out your lease is a way better option than leasing a new 7. You love the way your S560 looks and drives. The AMG wheels look great on it. It's a good looking car.

I gotta be honest. The 7 series is disastrous looking. I can't get past that incohesive front end.

Last edited by LH1; 02-05-24 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-05-24, 02:52 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Have you considered the 8 Gran Coupe?
The 8 is a generation old at this point and doesn't even offer air suspension, I don't think it really is meant to compete with this class of vehicle.

I also sat in an i5 and a 540i and they are nicer in person than the photos would suggest.
I'm surprised you found the interiors acceptable.
Old 02-05-24, 03:02 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I gotta be honest. The 7 series is disastrous looking. I can't get past that incohesive front end.
ridiculous looking front bumper... i have to think it's part of their plan to make the 4 series front somehow seems more palatable lol

that 8 gran coupe is gorgeous, but i'm not a huge fastback guy, although the original mercedes CLS manages to pull it off for me
Old 02-05-24, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LH1
Have you considered the 8 Gran Coupe? The one with a 4.4 V8 twin turbo is in your budget. Too over the top sporty for you? It looks great.

I think buying out your lease is a way better option than leasing a new 7. You love the way your S560 looks and drives. The AMG wheels look great on it. It's a good looking car.
8 GC is too small and sporty for me. I love my S560, but I have to make a good decision too. Buying it out involves buying a warranty and a lot of hassle, and how long would I actually keep it, another year or maybe 2? Does that really make sense vs just leasing something else now? Lots of things about that 7 series I like a lot. S560 needs a warranty, going to need tires, the 50k service is a big one that replaces spark plugs etc.

I have grown to really like the way it looks, its like the spindle grill, people who don't like it are never going to like it.

Originally Posted by Motorola
I'm surprised you found the interiors acceptable.
Honestly I don't see whats unacceptable about them. I didn't feel much if any hard plastic, lower door panels and lower dash are all soft touch, lots of piano black plastic trim but thats an issue with many many carmakers today. I even sat in a pretty low package 530 and thought that interior was fine. Have you seen them in person?
Old 02-05-24, 03:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

8 GC is too small and sporty for me. I love my S560, but I have to make a good decision too. Buying it out involves buying a warranty and a lot of hassle, and how long would I actually keep it, another year or maybe 2? Does that really make sense vs just leasing something else now? Lots of things about that 7 series I like a lot. S560 needs a warranty, going to need tires, the 50k service is a big one that replaces spark plugs etc.

I have grown to really like the way it looks, its like the spindle grill, people who don't like it are never going to like it.

Honestly I don't see whats unacceptable about them. I didn't feel much if any hard plastic, lower door panels and lower dash are all soft touch, lots of piano black plastic trim but thats an issue with many many carmakers today. I even sat in a pretty low package 530 and thought that interior was fine. Have you seen them in person?
The way you feel about the W223 is how I feel about this generation 5-series. The interior is noticeably cheaper than the previous generation.
Old 02-05-24, 03:33 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Are you sure you were in the 5? I've sat in it and already gave my impressions in the E thread, lower door bins are hard plastic and the switchgear was very cheap as well. The top of the door sills and dash are huge swaths of plastic (admittedly soft-touch) with no leather/vinyl wrap or stitching. The only good thing were the Veganza seats, and even those lacked the adjustability of the prior gen comfort seats. Otherwise, it's a joke compared to the prior generation.

Last edited by Motorola; 02-05-24 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-05-24, 03:37 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Totally valid and fair points. The 8 GC was a long shot suggestion I don't think anyone mentioned. Spark plugs at 50k!? That seems way too early.

LS 500?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024