Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 05:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
All of the V8 diesels, you can get to the turbos without cab off.
Ok. But we are referring to Toyota. The competition, who has a 1500 half ton truck with a hot V?
Old 02-11-24, 05:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
what reliability challenge do they need to design smarter?
Drop the turbos but add two cylinders and increase the displacement, but we know that won’t happen. Toyota easily could have updated the 5.7 to over 400hp.
Old 02-11-24, 05:47 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Access and heat management, I would also place high importance of minimizing external lines of any sorts and if you have them place them right up top and clustered like how they are on my TT Audi.

I also don't think it's worth it, I tried my dads 5.0 supercharged Range Rover and while sure it's powerful (more powerful than ANY Toyota and faster as well and that just stock) it doesn't fundamentally change the towing experience other than I don't have to go to 4500-5k RPM if I need to get moving a bit faster than I would otherwise prefer to like is needed in the Sequoia. It's not going any faster, both are air cars and control the load very well, the RR has better brakes but that is expected as when it's not loaded the thing is shockingly fast for what it is and needs to be able to back up the power with at least some semblance of handling.

Issue is that it is supercharged and that's far less worrisome than turbos, even so you still need to mind the clutch, oil, belt, and spark plugs will need done every 40k vs 90-120k for an NA engine. Heat load is higher as well.....and again if the truck is a tool is it really worth it?
Old 02-11-24, 05:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Ok. But we are referring to Toyota. The competition, who has a 1500 half ton truck with a hot V?
None because they went from V8s to inlines other than ford, and also that's the entire point lol! Toyota is DOA in this segment, utterly outgunned by the domestics on anything over a 1500 and at the 1500 level is outclassed for serviceability and overall product features/package. It's not 2007 anymore when the tundra/sequoia really where THAT much better. Toyota just released the 3.5TT with the hybrid stuffs and it BARELY caught up to the 10 year old F150 and now has already fallen behind the 500hp Ram inline 6s that will almost certainty have orders of magnitude more support.

This isn't like when the 5.7 came out and NUKED the field for about 5-7 years. Toyota showed up with a prior gen setup vs a 2 gen newer one like they did last time.
Old 02-11-24, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Access to the turbos for service and replacement
Old 02-11-24, 06:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
None because they went from V8s to inlines other than ford, and also that's the entire point lol! Toyota is DOA in this segment, utterly outgunned by the domestics on anything over a 1500 and at the 1500 level is outclassed for serviceability and overall product features/package. It's not 2007 anymore when the tundra/sequoia really where THAT much better. Toyota just released the 3.5TT with the hybrid stuffs and it BARELY caught up to the 10 year old F150 and now has already fallen behind the 500hp Ram inline 6s that will almost certainty have orders of magnitude more support.

This isn't like when the 5.7 came out and NUKED the field for about 5-7 years. Toyota showed up with a prior gen setup vs a 2 gen newer one like they did last time.
nobody is saying that the Tundra is ahead or behind the domestics. IMO, tundra is a tier lower. That said, the 2nd Gen tundra did not outgun the domestics. Just look at the payload capacity of a Tundra and compare to a F150. Crappy c channel frames etc.

I don’t see any I6 RAMs on Ram.com

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Access to the turbos for service and replacement
A turbo doesn’t need service. Repair of replacement is different, but Toyota is not gonna make it easy to change a turbo to save the customer a few bucks out of warranty. This is just Toyota negativity for the sake of being negative because it’s a Toyota.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-24 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 06:28 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Drop the turbos but add two cylinders and increase the displacement, but we know that won’t happen. Toyota easily could have updated the 5.7 to over 400hp.
Or could’ve thrown the 8 speed from the LX or a 10 speed trans on it. I’ve only towed with our LX once so far and I was very impressed. Hydraulic suspension kept the load leveled.
Old 02-11-24, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A turbo doesn’t need service. Repair of replacement is different, but Toyota is not gonna make it easy to change a turbo to save the customer a few bucks out of warranty. This is just Toyota negativity for the sake of being negative because it’s a Toyota.
They really should…good engineering includes making things accessible when they need repair, a good argument against the perceived reduction in reliability would be making the turbo easily accessible. This is something Toyota has always struggled with, there are a lot of really bizarre engineering decisions that lead to really expensive repairs even if they are rare. Starter under the intake manifold, power steering pump right above the alternator…turbo that requires cab off for replacement…

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-11-24 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 06:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

, a good argument against the perceived reduction in reliability would be making the turbo easily accessible.
The ease of replacement has nothing to do with reliability.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Or could’ve thrown the 8 speed from the LX or a 10 speed trans on it. I’ve only towed with our LX once so far and I was very impressed. Hydraulic suspension kept the load leveled.
I doubt there is any performance advantage in the 8 speed
Old 02-11-24, 06:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Look at all the people posting pictures of Tundras with cabs off as evidence of why they won’t buy the new one. Perception is everything. Should be a no big deal repair.
Old 02-11-24, 06:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Look at all the people posting pictures of Tundras with cabs off as evidence of why they won’t buy the new one. Perception is everything. Should be a no big deal repair.
Toyota sold 125K Tundras in 2023. Last time Toyota sold more tundras was in 2008.
Old 02-11-24, 06:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How many could they have sold if people weren’t concerned about this? It’s just something Toyota doesn’t do well, engineering for ease of repair.
Old 02-11-24, 07:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

How many could they have sold if people weren’t concerned about this?
Weak counterpoint. Sorry. I just don’t see it having a factor on sales.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-24 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 07:30 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Anybody who has ever worked on a Toyota product can tell you they really do suck at packaging for serviceability. It even dates back to the 1UZ era. I absolutely hated working on my 1UZ(and I was under the hood a lot).

As far as going to inlines, only Dodge is doing that so far in the gasoline powered trucks. GM did introduce an inline-6 diesel for the 1500's which seems to be pretty popular, though I have heard of timing chain/belt issues(can't remember if it's a belt or a chain).

@LexsCTJill look for the 2025 RAM 1500 on their website. They do list the Hurricane 3.0 engine. It's their new inline-6 that is going to be in the '25 trucks. '24 MY trucks still have the 5.7 Hemi.

And more gears is actually incredibly useful for a vehicle that tows. Moreso than for a grocery getter. The automakers that know about work trucks(ie, the domestics) have been increasing their gear counts for a reason.

Old 02-11-24, 07:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

If you have a major repair that could very well have to be done during the normal life of the vehicle, and that repair is sufficiently a PITA, that absolutely can drive buyers away.

I know plenty of people, myself included, who will not buy vehicles that use a timing belt because we don't want an expensive regular maintenance item that requires you to tear down the front of your engine. If people are looking at a car and realize that the cab has to come off to service/replace a part that could very well go out during their ownership, they'll be discouraged from buying.

Unfortunately I don't know of anybody using a hot V in the half-ton segment. Ford uses a hot-v setup for their 6.7 powerstroke in the HD pickups. GM's Duramax does not use this configuration IIRC. RAM's 6.7 cummins is an inline-6 so that's not relevant there.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1