Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 09:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Further down the thread:

check out BMWs latest S63 engine if you want to see a cool turbo setup, Looks like this but has reverse flow heads and the turbos sit in the “V” of the engine

The new Benz M178 in the V8 AMGs and a few other models is setup the same. It's beautiful to look at and I like how they come apart too.
M178 is the AMG version of my M176, much better engineered.
Old 02-11-24, 09:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How is it not as well engineered?
Read the description I posted from that thread of mechanics. It’s designed in such a way that any replacement will be a massive labor nightmare vs the German engines that are designed for the turbo to be easily accessed and replaced.

A design that is complicated to work on with no benefit is poorly engineered.

Also from the thread:

I’m a Lexus master tech, and I was talking to our local field engineer yesterday about this car. The crinkled plastic lines are coolant for the intercoolers. If a rat chews a hole in one, the only way to get them replaced is to buy the entire intercooler assembly, at ~$2600.
Poorly engineered, lines should be replicable independently of the intercooler.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-11-24 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 09:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Read the description I posted from that thread of mechanics. It’s designed in such a way that any replacement will be a massive labor nightmare vs the German engines that are designed for the turbo to be easily accessed and replaced.

Also from the thread:

IF a rat chews. And realize you are using one Toyota engine and then lumping it against ALL German cars. The Audi I posted yesterday is a poorly engineered turbo motor, plastic water pumps and a PITA location with a rubber belt. As for service, I showed you that the Tundra turbos can be served via the wheel wellls debunking the idea that Toyota must have the body off. You are just being anti Toyota
Old 02-11-24, 09:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

IF a rat chews. And realize you are using one Toyota engine and then lumping it against ALL German cars. The Audi I posted yesterday is a poorly engineered turbo motor, plastic water pumps and a PITA location with a rubber belt. As for service, I showed you that the Tundra turbos can be served via the wheel wellls debunking the idea that Toyota must have the body off. You are just being anti Toyota
Rats do chew these things a lot…there are also other ways those lines can fail. You can service the turbo through the wheel well but it’s easier and cheaper to raise the cab. The turbo shouldn’t be at the bottom of the engine is the point. Techs wouldn’t be raising the cabs if that wasn’t the easiest way.

I am just talking about one engine and compared it with one German engine. That Audi is a mess, note one of the mechanics I posted a quote from compared this engine to an Audi engine…that wasn’t a compliment.

Recognizing Toyotas flaws is not being anti Toyota. The fact is that they just don’t engineer many things well for serviceability and the Germans most notably MB and Mercedes are better at that in many ways. Toyota is not perfect. Fact is MB and BMW have their turbo layouts engineered in a better way.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-11-24 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 10:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Rats do chew these things a lot…there are also other ways those lines can fail. You can service the turbo through the wheel well but it’s easier and cheaper to raise the cab. The turbo shouldn’t be at the bottom of the engine is the point. Techs wouldn’t be raising the cabs if that wasn’t the easiest way.
Sure they do. Of course. But the idea that the master mechanic said IF a rat chews. So I’m fine if it is a mouse…only then are you safe buying this car.

a rodent once chewed thru the wiring on my 2004 4Runner for the headlight harness. But somehow Toyota was able to re-connect the wiring, roll tape it with electrical tape and they didn’t change me.

Fact is MB and BMW have their turbo layouts engineered in a better way.
I highly doubt this. I am sure there are some far better packaging and engineering on some Toyota turbos…. The new 3.3 V6 comes to mind with the hot V configuration…this would be Toyotas first ever V6 diesel, and I believe it’s 2 stage turbo designed for reliability. it runs on one turbo and then when needed the second kicks in…but I’m not sure if each turbo can operate independently back and forth in single operation.(I think this is the operation or close to it)

I bet many Mercedes diesel engines have their turbos low

Anyways. Japan has a long rich history of turbo motors. I think the very first twin scroll turbo was in a Mazda in the 80s. Japan had two turbos on 4 cylinders back with Subaru, might have been a first but I’m not sure. Japan has been making turbo engines continuously for 40+ years

Toyota is not perfect
Nobody is saying this. Personally speaking, the LS500 doesn’t compete with the modern S or 7 series and A8. They are just below. A V8 would help. Same with LX and Sequiya

I think German engines are admirable. Don’t get me wrong. But I do think Japan makes far superior smaller engines N/A and turbo.

An engine that I believe is a remarkable achievement is the new G16E-GTS. 3 cylinder. Single scroll turbo. A whopping 100hp per cylinder and 187.5 HP per litre. Runs on oW-20 and has no electrification. Eventually this engine will be in more mainstream models

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-24 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 11:58 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

Not very impressive in light of, say, A-class AMG engine, which might be a 4cyl but is as tweaked from the get-go as possible. The only thing that I don't like about it is the low compression that they used to boost the max power even more - just make it the same as the AMG V8s and settle for 300/350 or whatever, it's plenty and the rest of the characteristics (i.e. the super short path from compressor to intake) will surely show.

As for the V35a - yet another 3.5l turbo v6. I guess you could argue that turbos are harder to pack in a 60deg. v6, but there's always the option of a small twin scroll unit... you don't need a big turbo for what you'd be trying to achieve with this car anyways. Reliability - we'll see, not really a mass equipped engine and Toyota sure has had some interesting blunders in the past.

Japanese making far superior smaller engines - maybe N/A (nobody else is really making NA), definitely not turbo - at least when comparing the 8ar-fts to any 2.0t german engine - seems to be more of a control/tune issue, but it is what it is. And yes, the germans tend to fail in all sorts of ways that shouldn't be an issue on anything remotely modern.

The intercooler assembly bit - it's inexcusable, but it isn't new (hydraulic brake pump assembly with motor & accumulator & ABS solenoid block - motor fails due to wear, buy the whole thing) and isn't a Toyota-only thing (see, say, BMW's n53 valve cover with its built-in failing PCV system). Still dumb beyond comprehension.
Old 02-12-24, 12:10 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

If Ford is smart they'll never discontinue the Coyote.
I saw a video guys stating the coyote engine is a carbon copy of the RB26 found in the GTR with 2 extra cylinders.
Old 02-12-24, 12:50 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I saw a video guys stating the coyote engine is a carbon copy of the RB26 found in the GTR with 2 extra cylinders.

I saw that video.....those guys got dragged in the comments for their ignorance.
Old 02-12-24, 03:38 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

The ease of replacement has nothing to do with reliability.

I doubt there is any performance advantage in the 8 speed
Yes it does lol! If something takes 20-30 hours to replace vs 5 what do you think people will prefer to own even CPO?

There is an insane advantage to an 8 speed over a 6.
Old 02-12-24, 03:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

They really do. That’s a big difference between Lexus and the Germans, the German cars are actually easier to work on. Parts cost more, but when you get into more complex new Toyotas where that reliability delta isn’t going to be so great it’s something to think of.

For instance if you asked me if I wanted to put 250,000 miles on the M176 engine in my S560 or the Toyota 3.4TT? I would actually choose the Mercedes for long term ownership cost.

Good example of this is air suspension. My W222 vs an LS460, air suspension is considerably cheaper to deal with on the Mercedes because they are engineered to be repaired and rebuilt where the units on the Lexus are just disposable.
I would argue parts are less, plus you can actually find the exact factory that makes them and buy from there vs the cryptic non-sense Toyota makes you suffer through to find the OEM. I know for a fact OE parts are the same between the LS and A8 but I can get OEM for much less on the Audis and FCP euro ensures I never have to pay again for brakes/arms etc
Old 02-12-24, 03:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes it does lol! If something takes 20-30 hours to replace vs 5 what do you think people will prefer to own even CPO?
Very few people think like this and CPO. I think of terms of brand new. If a regular person has to analyze a 30 hr job vs a 5 hr job and decide they will buy a 5 hours repair car over a 30 hr repair car…then they can’t afford the car

And what regular Toyota repair takes 30 hours whereas a German car takes just 5 hours?

Originally Posted by Striker223
There is an insane advantage to an 8 speed over a 6.
Just look at the performance of a 6 speed LX and a 8 speed LX. No difference. Nobody is saying a 6 speed is superior, what is being said in reference to the LX570 when it received the upgrade

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-24 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-12-24, 03:49 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Apparently that engine is one of the most advanced engines ever made. Anyways, it’s not something I’d worry about. Yeah, the idea of a turbo or both failing sucks, but I’d expect this engine to far outlast a German or American engine. And be far more reliable too
Yes so advanced it's outgunned by the Audi 2.7 from 1999.......

Or the 3.0 super
Or the current 3.0T
Or the B58
Or the Mercedes family of 6s
Or the ecoboost
Or the turbo V6 pentastar used in Maserati etc

I seriously doubt with not only how convoluted the Toyota engine is but also with how much plastic and actively controlled items there are in odd places (thermostats are a big one) that it won't only just break it will break and be annoying to work on as are ANY of the more complex Toyotas. Once again you are dealing with all this BS just to have a worse version of what everyone else has had for 10-25 years.
Old 02-12-24, 03:51 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Also from the thread:

And made of metal or standard hoses like on our V8s. Oh and easy to get to.....like as in can be done in your garage if needed no issues.
Old 02-12-24, 03:55 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Sure they do. Of course. But the idea that the master mechanic said IF a rat chews. So I’m fine if it is a mouse…only then are you safe buying this car.

a rodent once chewed thru the wiring on my 2004 4Runner for the headlight harness. But somehow Toyota was able to re-connect the wiring, roll tape it with electrical tape and they didn’t change me.

I highly doubt this. I am sure there are some far better packaging and engineering on some Toyota turbos…. The new 3.3 V6 comes to mind with the hot V configuration…this would be Toyotas first ever V6 diesel, and I believe it’s 2 stage turbo designed for reliability. it runs on one turbo and then when needed the second kicks in…but I’m not sure if each turbo can operate independently back and forth in single operation.(I think this is the operation or close to it)

I bet many Mercedes diesel engines have their turbos low

Anyways. Japan has a long rich history of turbo motors. I think the very first twin scroll turbo was in a Mazda in the 80s. Japan had two turbos on 4 cylinders back with Subaru, might have been a first but I’m not sure. Japan has been making turbo engines continuously for 40+ years

Nobody is saying this. Personally speaking, the LS500 doesn’t compete with the modern S or 7 series and A8. They are just below. A V8 would help. Same with LX and Sequiya

I think German engines are admirable. Don’t get me wrong. But I do think Japan makes far superior smaller engines N/A and turbo.

An engine that I believe is a remarkable achievement is the new G16E-GTS. 3 cylinder. Single scroll turbo. A whopping 100hp per cylinder and 187.5 HP per litre. Runs on oW-20 and has no electrification. Eventually this engine will be in more mainstream models
The Germans are so much better at this Toyota is using THEIR ENGINE in the Toyota halo sports car lol!

HP/L doesn't matter at all when the little 3 cyl can't keep up with a MK5 golf that has a tune lol! Those horrible Audi 4 engines have a certain edge that makes people accept the annoyances and that's that they are cheap to DIY, and can easily make more power than anything Toyota has.
Old 02-12-24, 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
The Germans are so much better at this Toyota is using THEIR ENGINE in the Toyota halo sports car lol!

HP/L doesn't matter at all when the little 3 cyl can't keep up with a MK5 golf that has a tune lol! Those horrible Audi 4 engines have a certain edge that makes people accept the annoyances and that's that they are cheap to DIY, and can easily make more power than anything Toyota has.
Nowhere I had I said HALO stuff or tuning etc. just simply said that the new engine is a pretty good achievement

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Not very impressive in light of, say, A-class AMG engine, which might be a 4cyl but is as tweaked from the get-go as possible. The only thing that I don't like about it is the low compression that they used to boost the max power even more - just make it the same as the AMG V8s and settle for 300/350 or whatever, it's plenty and the rest of the characteristics (i.e. the super short path from compressor to intake) will surely show.

As for the V35a - yet another 3.5l turbo v6. I guess you could argue that turbos are harder to pack in a 60deg. v6, but there's always the option of a small twin scroll unit... you don't need a big turbo for what you'd be trying to achieve with this car anyways. Reliability - we'll see, not really a mass equipped engine and Toyota sure has had some interesting blunders in the past.
assuming you are referring to the A45 AMG? That MB engine is a brilliant 4 cylinder, only other engine I know that supersedes that would be the very low volume Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 that produces 440hp

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-24 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024