Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-24, 05:14 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mercedes was very abusive to Chrysler. Nothing good came out of that relationship. During the DaimlerChrysler era Chrysler made some of the worst cars in the past 30 years. Sebring, Avenger, Journey, Patriot, Caliber, Compass, Comander……..

Chrysler lost a lot of great engineers and cars like the Grand Cherokee and Liberty were savagely cheapened. The Pacifica was an interesting crossover concept, but it wasn’t properly executed and had lackluster powertrains. The Crossfire was based on the previous generation SLK. Right as the new one was coming out…… The LX cars were really the only good thing to come during that time. And allegedly Chrysler were already working on them in 1998, and Mercedes made them scrap all of their development and start from all over again because they want them to use Mercedes parts.
Old 02-16-24, 09:23 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

I’m on a road trip to Pittsburgh in my X7 and had to sit in the back seat for an hour for a work call and I have to say, it is really really comfortable back here. The back seats recline and can be moved back. Plenty of leg room and the little alcantara pillows are nice. Now I know why my kids always want to take the X7 on longer drives.

Now I’m looking at new SUVs and questioning whether we need third row seating anymore with my son driving in a year so it opens up more possibilities. Any thoughts on RR Sport, RSQ8 or GLE63 AMG?
Old 02-16-24, 09:26 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Depends, are you going brand new or used? Assuming new, out of that short list the GLE63 is the least special but perhaps the most competent. The RSQ8 is actually a big softie with tons of power but the MMI interface is full of bugs to this day. The new RR Sport looks less aggressive than the old one and is quite pricey. I'd find the nicest Porsche Cayenne your money can buy, personally.
Old 02-16-24, 09:26 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I’m on a road trip to Pittsburgh in my X7 and had to sit in the back seat for an hour for a work call and I have to say, it is really really comfortable back here. The back seats recline and can be moved back. Plenty of leg room and the little alcantara pillows are nice. Now I know why my kids always want to take the X7 on longer drives.

Now I’m looking at new SUVs and questioning whether we need third row seating anymore with my son driving in a year so it opens up more possibilities. Any thoughts on RR Sport, RSQ8 or GLE63 AMG?
RSQ8 or the RR SJV is my vote.
Old 02-16-24, 09:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Depends, are you going brand new or used? Assuming new, out of that short list the GLE63 is the least special but perhaps the most competent. The RSQ8 is actually a big softie with tons of power but the MMI interface is full of bugs to this day. The new RR Sport looks less aggressive than the old one and is quite pricey. I'd find the nicest Porsche Cayenne your money can buy, personally.
Funny you say that, I was going to throw the Cayenne in there too but they start getting pricey really quick. Our weekends start to free up in March so we will have to ge test drive a bunch of cars to see what my wife likes best and see what kind of cargo room they have.
Old 02-16-24, 10:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

…which ones? I’m genuinely curious to know what got improved by Daimler. The sole good things that came out of that relationship was the LX platform cars and the Hemi. And you can thank Dr. Z intervening for that.
Best example I can think of the WK2 Grand Cherokee which was built off the ML platform...debuted after they broke up but the co development happened during their partnership.

I really liked the RR Sport I drove
Old 02-16-24, 10:59 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I am looking at leasing so new. Since you are getting the RR, I am still considering getting the RR but not the V8 since it will be more than I want to spend. Do you think that the 6 is worth getting?

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I really liked the RR Sport I drove
The one good thing I have always liked about the RR Sport is the sporty looks and the autobiography with the bigger engine in in my price range. I will have to test drive one to see how it drives. I like test driving everything but my wife absolutely hates it but the good thing with her is once she finds something she likes, she doesn’t waiver on it so it’s makes buying easier.
Old 02-16-24, 11:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Best example I can think of the WK2 Grand Cherokee which was built off the ML platform...debuted after they broke up but the co development happened during their partnership.
That explains your angle. The W166 ML and WK2 Grand Cherokee were essentially separated at conception. Those vehicles were only a year into development before Daimler Chrysler was sold, which is why they don't actually share any hardware. Platform specs reveal their similarities but they ended up diverging quite a bit from their origins. That vehicle remains the only co-developed vehicle they had, as everything else either used hand me down Mercedes components (LX platform, Crossfire), Mitsubishi components, or home grown pieces. The WK2 really did turn out great, but that doesn't excuse the rest of the mess.

I am looking at leasing so new. Since you are getting the RR, I am still considering getting the RR but not the V8 since it will be more than I want to spend. Do you think that the 6 is worth getting?

The one good thing I have always liked about the RR Sport is the sporty looks and the autobiography with the bigger engine in in my price range. I will have to test drive one to see how it drives. I like test driving everything but my wife absolutely hates it but the good thing with her is once she finds something she likes, she doesn’t waiver on it so it’s makes buying easier.
You really picked a bunch of vehicles that don't lease well. No X5M for you? I find the ride to be too harsh but everything else about it is great, including BMW's willingness to deal. I really felt the 6-cylinder engine felt out of breath in the RR Sport and especially the full size RR. It was an automatic skip for me. I like my RRs to feel burly and the I6 just took some of the luxury away in my opinion.
Old 02-16-24, 11:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

You really picked a bunch of vehicles that don't lease well. No X5M for you? I find the ride to be too harsh but everything else about it is great, including BMW's willingness to deal. I really felt the 6-cylinder engine felt out of breath in the RR Sport and especially the full size RR. It was an automatic skip for me. I like my RRs to feel burly and the I6 just took some of the luxury away in my opinion.
I considered listing that too but I have heard the ride is harsh (which I actually like) but I don’t love the BMWs newer gauge cluster/screen and I’ve had two BMWs recently and feel like trying something new but who knows, I could end up in one. Bang for the buck it’s pretty good.
Old 02-16-24, 12:11 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

I considered listing that too but I have heard the ride is harsh (which I actually like) but I don’t love the BMWs newer gauge cluster/screen and I’ve had two BMWs recently and feel like trying something new but who knows, I could end up in one. Bang for the buck it’s pretty good.
I haven't driven any of these new cars listed so I'm no help at all. Lol

But, I do like the interiors on the Range Rovers, just judging by pics I've seen.
Old 02-16-24, 06:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

That explains your angle. The W166 ML and WK2 Grand Cherokee were essentially separated at conception. Those vehicles were only a year into development before Daimler Chrysler was sold, which is why they don't actually share any hardware. Platform specs reveal their similarities but they ended up diverging quite a bit from their origins. That vehicle remains the only co-developed vehicle they had, as everything else either used hand me down Mercedes components (LX platform, Crossfire), Mitsubishi components, or home grown pieces. The WK2 really did turn out great, but that doesn't excuse the rest of the mess.
I think it was an example of What could have come out of the partnership had it continued. It broke up just as we were about to see some of the benefits for Chrysler.
Old 02-17-24, 07:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I couldn’t catch a pic but I just saw a W221 with a gaudy, large star in the middle of the grill, HOOD ORNAMENT REMOVED.

Are they serious??????

The hood ornament is the best part. Even in that crazy chase the star is PREVALENT lol. As the pursuit ends you can clearly see that glorious star on the hood as the cops finally get him spun around.

Old 02-17-24, 08:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it was an example of What could have come out of the partnership had it continued. It broke up just as we were about to see some of the benefits for Chrysler.
The merger was a good idea at the time. But unfortunately it failed. I see the rationale of Mercedes getting more exposure to cheaper made cars and those profits.
Old 02-17-24, 10:25 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was a terrible idea from the start, many people have nicknamed it the “merger of unequals”.
Old 02-17-24, 12:23 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

When did everyone get a letter avatar assigned under their names? Was there a software update?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1