Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old Today, 07:09 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Interesting seeing the "Ethanol Free Gas". Never seen that before. Not sure if that's available in PA.

7.4 mpg. Towing giant bales of hay?

No work today. Track weekend

Im hoping the mpg increase once I throw the bags on the truck. If not oh well. Still thinking about adding a blower 😏

Yeah we tend to run non ethanol in the LX unless we’re not close to a station that has it.
Old Today, 09:43 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
7.4 mpg. Towing giant bales of hay?
I think he needs a diesel if he's pulling enough weight to drop the mpgs down that low.
Old Today, 10:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

No work today. Track weekend

Im hoping the mpg increase once I throw the bags on the truck. If not oh well. Still thinking about adding a blower 😏

Yeah we tend to run non ethanol in the LX unless we’re not close to a station that has it.
What are you taking to the track?
Old Today, 11:17 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

You're wasting your money. The 5.7 will drink anything. Just use regular 87, I have for 3 years since we bought ours. No blown engine. Not one knock ever, and I've tried to make it knock.

On one of these new motors even I wouldn't worry too much. Ethanol has been in gas for many decades.
Old Today, 11:29 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

The only real benefit to non-ethanol in these vehicles would be an almost unnoticeable MPG bump, which is almost certainly offset by the increased cost of the fuel.

In gas powered tools and equipment? Definitely want to run ethanol free though.
Old Today, 11:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
. Not one knock ever, and I've tried to make it knock.
I don’t think you’d know if it was knocking. You are definitely not running the engine to proper spec. Likely your engine has been rolled back in power due to the lower 87 rating
Old Today, 11:41 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

the 3UR is the same engine in both the Tundra and LX570. There's absolutely no reason it can run 87 in the Tundra and not in the LX.
Old Today, 12:17 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,186 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
the 3UR is the same engine in both the Tundra and LX570. There's absolutely no reason it can run 87 in the Tundra and not in the LX.
The KCLV map would likely beg to differ.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...and-power.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/910030-what-determines-knock-correction-learn-value-kclv.html

https://www.tundras.com/threads/kclv-is-terrible-any-ideas.85918/

Both my UR engines had crap values before, the 5.7 from normal gas and the LS from whoever owned it last. He should at least check his before going out and saying 87 is fine because I bet it's not.
Old Today, 12:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I don’t think you’d know if it was knocking. You are definitely not running the engine to proper spec. Likely your engine has been rolled back in power due to the lower 87 rating
Yes I am running spec. In every Toyota this V8 went in it asked for regular, including the LC which was literally built alongside LX570. It’s just Lexus bullshyyyt marketing. This engine will drink anything. The new ones however I would use premium with.

This has been beaten to death. I’ve owned the truck 3+ years and absolutely beaten it to death, never a drop of anything other than 87.
Old Today, 12:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,186 Likes on 882 Posts

Yes I am running spec. In every Toyota this V8 went in it asked for regular, including the LC which was literally built alongside LX570. It’s just Lexus bullshyyyt marketing. This engine will drink anything. The new ones however I would use premium with.

This has been beaten to death. I’ve owned the truck 3+ years and absolutely beaten it to death, never a drop of anything other than 87.
Have you ever checked though? Anything over 5* pulled means the engine is beating itself up and you will get the "random oil consumption" issue. Micro detonation you can't detect yourself is still there......

Throw a scanner on and at least check. You should see 20*+ advance on a Lexus/toyota since they don't just give an absolute value like on an Audi. I have my car tuned to 5-10* max pulled but I like it to mostly be under 5 at the worst conditions and it will flash a warning to me if it exceeds 5

Last edited by Striker223; Today at 12:52 PM.
Old Today, 01:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Why do you put 91 in your Mercedes SL but not your Lexus LX?
Old Today, 03:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Why do you put 91 in your Mercedes SL but not your Lexus LX?
BC it's an old $100,000 Mercedes....if it asks for premium it's getting it. The engine is pretty simple, but still it requires 2 plugs for each cylinder.

The LX is a Toyota truck.... can't get much more tough than that. I never fixed that idler that squeaked when I destroyed 10 inches of snow for 5 days straight, lol. That's how rough on it I was. Who knows if I ever will fix it. I drive that truck through hell and back, and love it.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024