Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 06:09 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
You don't understand the concept of something being priced too high and people buying it anyway?
The definition of a “fair price” is where supply equals demand without outside influence (e.g., free market).

Non-hybrid, non-electric automotive markets are pretty free and without a much distortion as hybrid/ev markets. If a maker produces too many vehicles and can’t sell them - it’s overpriced.

Is it a good “relative value” compared to buying used or a vastly cheaper model that does functionally the same thing (move you from point a to point b)? That’s a very different discussion.
Old 02-21-24, 06:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I tell my mom this. she’s looking at houses for sale in East Tennessee. And frequently complains about them being “overpriced”. I keep telling her they’re priced what the market is willing to pay and that’s that. And she just says “well we’re just gonna wait for the market to cool off and the prices to drop, then we can put in some low offers.” good luck with that.
Shes gonna be rentin’ lol

Originally Posted by Oro
The definition of a “fair price” is where supply equals demand without outside influence (e.g., free market).

Non-hybrid, non-electric automotive markets are pretty free and without a much distortion as hybrid/ev markets. If a maker produces too many vehicles and can’t sell them - it’s overpriced.
Exactly
Old 02-21-24, 06:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Didn't many here think the old 200 LC was overpriced?? I believe I do remember reading that over the years more than once.

I'm talking about overpriced .... think Whole Foods, Target. Whole Foods is insanely overpriced.

And yeah, East TN real estate isn't cooling down anytime soon. That is different, I don't think my home is overpriced.
Old 02-21-24, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Didn't many here think the old 200 LC was overpriced?? I believe I do remember reading that over the years more than once.
It sold very slowly, so yeah you could make an argument it was overpriced. You can’t make the argument something you say will sell very well is overpriced, it’s nonsensical.

I'm talking about overpriced .... think Whole Foods, Target. Whole Foods is insanely overpriced.
No…people buy their food and pay their prices so it’s not overpriced. You personally dont see value in what they sell, but that’s different than it being overpriced. You’re just not the target consumer. BTW, there are lots of high quality food items at Whole Foods that you can’t find other places, it’s for people who value that quality more than cost. Target? Target is cheap lol

You need to take a Business course…
Old 02-21-24, 06:43 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

This girl makes me so irrationally angry

Old 02-21-24, 06:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It sold very slowly, so yeah you could make an argument it was overpriced. You can’t make the argument something you say will sell very well is overpriced, it’s nonsensical.

No…people buy their food and pay their prices so it’s not overpriced. You personally dont see value in what they sell, but that’s different than it being overpriced. You’re just not the target consumer. BTW, there are lots of high quality food items at Whole Foods that you can’t find other places, it’s for people who value that quality more than cost. Target? Target is cheap lol

You need to take a Business course lol
So we might as well retire the word, call Webster because there's no such thing as anything being "overpriced"???

Don't tell me what education I need, I was an Econ minor and took plenty of business classes.

So again, *nothing* is ever overpriced? Half-*** designer stuff? An Apple product?

4 Runners are obscenely overpriced and sell like crazy.
Old 02-21-24, 06:55 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I'm curious as to why Toyota won't let you have the 3.4TT in the Land Cruiser when the GX550 has it?

It's funny to watch videos of these auto shows and see the ancient 4Runner sitting there among all the new Toyota products.
Same reason the 4Runner never got the V8 and you had to buy the GX if you wanted it. I'm willing to bet money Toyota will once again do a "big brain move" and phase out the 4Runner nameplate with this new "land cruiser" now that they have weakened the LC nameplate
Old 02-21-24, 07:01 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

In another brilliant move, Mazda's priced the CX-70 exactly the same as the CX-90. You pay exactly the same price for the exact same vehicle sans a third row. Yup.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...cx-70-pricing/

Last edited by Motorola; 02-21-24 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-21-24, 07:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I like the Adam's products. My car has the graphene coating on it and it's proven to be a very effective defense against things such as tree sap. It's not ideal to park near or undr trees, but it happens. The sap rinses off. Full disclosure, I have a bias toward Adam's because I have been friends with the founder my whole life. We went to Kindergarten together. He is a good man. Also, my brother opened the Adam's location in CA and ran it for a few years, so I am connected to the company a bit.
Thats pretty cool you are friends with him. How did he figure out how to make those products? Is he a chemist or something?
Old 02-21-24, 07:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts
Default Speaking of prices.....

I got that riced out IS300 I posted a while back as partial payment for work on another car, other car is a 2011 Infiniti G37X that had severe oil leaks among other issues (upper pan, both valve covers) and a wheel bearing so bad the brakes where what was holding the wheel on.

This thing is annoying since upon inspection it it's not even that bad mechanically. I was expecting a train wreck but it only needs a coolant leak fixed and general service. Somehow there is no play in the front end, the only issues I care about is that when the coil overs were installed someone left fasteners loose......aka totally "on brand" with this car.

QD bumper as all race cars must have!

Expired tag for the win

SIIIIIIICK fitment

The finest paint I've ever seen

THE BEST ENGINE EVER (The radiator is worth nearly as much as the car is and is the nicest thing there)

Comes with a bunch of extra free stuff!

Somehow the only things damaged inside are the missing door sills, and hood release handle. I was expecting so much worse based on exterior pictures

Seems legit.

Close enough

Shockingly okay overall. I'll take it over a same era 3 series for sure

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0947.MOV (10.67 MB, 3 views)
Old 02-21-24, 07:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So we might as well retire the word, call Webster because there's no such thing as anything being "overpriced"???

Don't tell me what education I need, I was an Econ minor and took plenty of business classes.

So again, *nothing* is ever overpriced? Half-*** designer stuff? An Apple product?

4 Runners are obscenely overpriced and sell like crazy.
If you have truly taken those courses I legitimately don’t understand how you don’t get what we’re saying.

If people buy that stuff, then no it’s not overpriced . That’s how markets work, the market determines the fair price for something.

No need to retire the word, just use it properly. Something is overpriced if its price stops people from buying it. If consumers are willing to pay what someone is charging for something, it’s not overpriced.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-21-24 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-21-24, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
In another brilliant move, Mazda's priced the CX-70 exactly the same as the CX-90. You pay exactly the same price for the exact same vehicle sans a third row. Yup.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...cx-70-pricing/
What?!? That’s insane.
Old 02-21-24, 07:52 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I got that riced out IS300 I posted a while back as partial payment for work on another car, other car is a 2011 Infiniti G37X that had severe oil leaks among other issues (upper pan, both valve covers) and a wheel bearing so bad the brakes where what was holding the wheel on.

This thing is annoying since upon inspection it it's not even that bad mechanically. I was expecting a train wreck but it only needs a coolant leak fixed and general service. Somehow there is no play in the front end, the only issues I care about is that when the coil overs were installed someone left fasteners loose......aka totally "on brand" with this car.
Step 1: Boost the 2JZ to the moon

Step 2: hoon it until something on the car gives.
Old 02-21-24, 07:56 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 303 Posts

….
Often heard though the term was used imprecisely, wrt the LC200. You are not wrong. Yeah, I thought the 200 LC was crazy expensive, but it’s slightly different than “overpriced.” It’s like the mental anguish I feel when someone asks if a (insert generic daily driver car) is a “good investment.” It’s not an investment unless you are knowledgeably speculating the price is going to appreciate.

We are sloppy with language often, and then are subject to being called on it when we get precise/technical. Things can for certain be “overpriced” - but as long as a free market is working and there is perfect information (nothing hidden from buyers and sellers) - an item is priced fairly.
Old 02-21-24, 09:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This video just dropped about Mercedes leases and mirrors what my salesman said last week. The leases are horrible…

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1