Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 12:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
‘How could one have a top spec Land Cruiser with a 4.6 V8 when for a very long time, only the US received the 5.7 V8? Where could you get the Toyota 4Runner with a V8 other than the United States or Canada? Of course there are features that one might not be able to get in North America…absolutely …regulations prevent the US from having an RX with bladescan headlights…but Lexus RX270 never existed in US whereas it did elsewhere in the world with a person a few features that were not offered in the US spec model.
You're only focusing on the powertrains.

This is a JDM Celsior from 1990:

Current model ES from Bahrain with power and massaging rear seats:

Old 02-22-24, 12:40 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

I'm very jealous of some of those executive seating packages they get in the Asian and Middle Eastern markets. Granted, I'm the driver so I wouldn't be able to enjoy them but they are cool
Old 02-22-24, 12:49 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Obviously I understand supply and demand. I only use Apple products myself and pay the premium. That's what I meant when I mentioned the concept of something being overpriced and people buying it anyway.
I think you're conflating "Expensive" and "Overpriced". Expensive is a relative term, and subject to individual value judgements. Overpriced is an economic term, which means something is so expensive that the seller is losing out on potential revenue, because the additional margin is eaten up and then some by lower volume. Ie if they were to lower the price, they would make more money overall because of the large increase in unit volume.

I'll give you a non-car example. Yesterday, I bought a superautomatic espresso machine. This vendor's top selling model for over a decade is currently $2500. That's expensive by almost anyone's definition. But the fact that it's their top-selling model--and particularly that it's usually the 3rd or 4th bestselling model, regardless of brand, even though some competitors are <$600--means that it's not overpriced. The one I bought was 2 models up from that, and is even more expensive. But I feel the incremental value of its featureset is worth the incremental cost. It is selling well, so it is also not overpriced.
Old 02-22-24, 12:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

there will always be some examples that go in favour of other markets. However, overwhelmingly the US gets the top spec models. in the case of the current land cruiser, the United States only gets the top powertrain. in other markets, there is the 2.4 turbo as well as the 2.7 naturally aspirated in line 4 both with no hybrid.
Haha! No! We need we get the true spec of anything here
Old 02-22-24, 12:55 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'm very jealous of some of those executive seating packages they get in the Asian and Middle Eastern markets. Granted, I'm the driver so I wouldn't be able to enjoy them but they are cool
very unfair, idk why toyota assumes nobody would care here... or maybe there was an absolute MSRP limit they were doing their best not to exceed

another example: in the early 90s you could get a toyota mobile FAX machine in your celsior!

Old 02-22-24, 12:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You may subjectively think its overpriced, but its not objectively overpriced because people are paying that price for the drink. If I had a bar at an airport and I could get people to pay me $22 for a bloody mary, thats what I would charge, we all would.
$22 not including tip for a small plastic cup with no celery or olives and a just ok drink isn't overpriced?? We live on different planets. Is there anything in the world that's overpriced or "too expensive" for what it is?? I can name plenty of stuff. CVS is overpriced, just about everything in there. There's an independent grocery store down the street that is outrageously overpriced but people pay it. Red Lobster is really overpriced but I still go every now and then.

You can't understand supply and demand and not understand this. If people buy something at the price it costs, it is by definition not overpriced. e.
Another example: Disney is extremely overpriced, and the cost actually does prevent many from going. I know people personally who couldn't afford it. It's unfortunate because every child should see Disney World. My mother told me that in the late 80s when she took me it wasn't cheap but it wasn't outrageous, nothing like now.
Old 02-22-24, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
very unfair, idk why toyota assumes nobody would care here... or maybe there was an absolute MSRP limit they were doing their best not to exceed

another example: in the early 90s you could get a toyota mobile FAX machine in your celsior!

And note that 1LS has a navigation screen!

$22 not including tip for a small plastic cup with no celery or olives and a just ok drink isn't overpriced?? We live on different planets. Is there anything in the world that's overpriced or "too expensive" for what it is?? I can name plenty of stuff. CVS is overpriced, just about everything in there. There's an independent grocery store down the street that is outrageously overpriced but people pay it. Red Lobster is really overpriced but I still go every now and then.

Another example: Disney is extremely overpriced, and the cost actually does prevent many from going. I know people personally who couldn't afford it. It's unfortunate because every child should see Disney World. My mother told me that in the late 80s when she took me it wasn't cheap but it wasn't outrageous, nothing like now.
You don't understand. Read this:

Originally Posted by geko29
I think you're conflating "Expensive" and "Overpriced". Expensive is a relative term, and subject to individual value judgements. Overpriced is an economic term, which means something is so expensive that the seller is losing out on potential revenue, because the additional margin is eaten up and then some by lower volume. Ie if they were to lower the price, they would make more money overall because of the large increase in unit volume.

I'll give you a non-car example. Yesterday, I bought a superautomatic espresso machine. This vendor's top selling model for over a decade is currently $2500. That's expensive by almost anyone's definition. But the fact that it's their top-selling model--and particularly that it's usually the 3rd or 4th bestselling model, regardless of brand, even though some competitors are <$600--means that it's not overpriced. The one I bought was 2 models up from that, and is even more expensive. But I feel the incremental value of its featureset is worth the incremental cost. It is selling well, so it is also not overpriced.
No, if people pay the prices its not overpriced. Disney is PACKED, to capacity. So no, a Disney vacation is not overpriced. You may feel these things are too expensive for you to spend your money on them, but they are not economically overpriced because consumers do pay their prices.
Old 02-22-24, 01:14 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

being an avid skiing fan, around this time of the year that's what i point to for being overpriced... i was up at Sugarbush in VT this most recent weekend and the crowds (or rather somewhat lack of) would be evidence of this

the more accurate statement would be that single day tickets have become overpriced, there are absolutely fewer people buying them (nearly $200 per day at times!!!) since resorts are all pushing toward season passes and more long term tickets... which absolutely make more sense if you go skiing fairly often, otherwise for someone who just decides lets go skiing tomorrow you'll be forking over some serious dough
Old 02-22-24, 01:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

You're only focusing on the powertrains.

This is a JDM Celsior from 1990:

Current model ES from Bahrain with power and massaging rear seats:

You’ve provided an excellent example, and I don’t disagree with you. For example, the Lexus LX470 I owned did not come with the cool box. But, the point I am making is that Japan Toyota imports to the US usually get the top spec models, and that almost always starts with the powertrain.

For example, the Lexus LS460 in specific markets received only the 2UR-FE whereas the United States received the 2UR-FSE engine. Same thing the GS, when the US updated to the 3.5 V6 and the 4.6 V8, most other markets kept the outgoing I6 and UZ motor. GX470 and LX570 were predominantly USA spec only…there are many examples of this, the 2UZ 4.7 Reciever engine updated long for the US models where outside of the US, the 2UZ received these updates later… 100% there will be instances where other markets are packaged in a different way with options not available in the US spec, but almost across fhe US receives the full spec powertrain and I cannot think of any instance where the US did receive the full spec powertrain that was available elsewhere.

‘A few other examples come to mind, the Lexus LS600h never made it to the US whereas the full Lexus 600hl did. The fourth generation Supra was available with any turbo whereas the US spec received the twin turbo option. (Perhaps the Supra a few exclusive options that were not in the US spec)

here are some features in the ES that US does not receive

Back to the Land Cruiser 250…

‘the US gets the top spec powertrain. Perhaps there might be a few features in the non-hybrid version that you can’t get in the US, but if you don’t have the full spec powertrain, what difference does that make?

there is a 48V diesel there too…and Toyota has a hot vee V6 diesel too

here is the LS350
Old 02-22-24, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But, the point I am making is that Japan Toyota imports to the US usually get the top spec models, and that almost always starts with the powertrain.
Thats only true if the powertrain is the only feature you're looking at.
Old 02-22-24, 02:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

It's not too because in Japan you can get the true top spec. Same way I had to import a bunch of stuff for my W12 you would need to import stuff for an LS
Old 02-22-24, 06:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

this colour just doesn’t work on this model.

Ferrari had a lot of cars at the show

@AJT123 this truck had a column shifter

for some reason. Ford hoods were sealed closed. They wouldn’t let you open the hood

IMO, new Ford Mustang was a huge let down. The Dark Horse was there as well as the convertible and one other. Apparently the chassis is not all new, it’s a carry over

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-22-24 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-22-24, 06:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

The new Ram is out. The highest priced trim the Tungsten is $90,000.

540hp from 3.0 liters, sort of insane. Can’t wait to see how this new Hurricane engine holds up and how much people like it.

I-6 is wayyyyyy better than V6. There’s that, at least.

I don’t care for the styling, it’s just too bland.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45753248/2025-ram-1500-refresh-details/

Last edited by AJT123; 02-22-24 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-22-24, 06:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The new Ram is out. The highest priced trim the Tungsten is $90,000.

540hp from 3.0 liters, sort of insane. Can’t wait to see how this new Hurricane engine holds up and how much people like it.

I-6 is wayyyyyy better than V6. There’s that, at least.

I don’t care for the styling, it’s just too bland.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...fresh-details/
I will say, the GM trucks and especially the RAM blows the Tundra out of the water. Like the interior is nowhere close. I’d saw the Tundra is a tier below…maybe even two tiers lower. Thats not good.

it really is cool that they have an in-line six.
a new V8 would still be superior
Old 02-22-24, 08:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29

Side note. Superautomatics will change your life. We're on our second. Both Saeco Xlesis models. OMG. Well worth the $2.5-3k.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1