Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-24, 07:10 PM
somethingfornothing
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
to be fair, i'm sure there was a point where you wouldn't have seen that on a benz (and i mean a real benz) either, but current era mercedes is of course a different story

actually i just recently got a ride in an EQS AMG, with options this was something like a $175,000 msrp car and i'm thoroughly disappointed... the acceleration is impressive of course but it's also just dull feeling, and unlike a V8 or V12 AMG where the fun builds and builds as you speed up, this was already showing signs of letting up by 70 or so... also the air vent all the way to the right was one of THE cheapest feeling piece of plastic i've ever felt, for a control surface that gets used so often idk how mercedes deemed that acceptable

That looks AMAZING!! Wow. I am impressed.

Of course I'm far from able to afford something like this, I think Mercedes knocked things out of the park with this design.

Pictures do make things look better than in person but this is a brilliant design.
Old 02-24-24, 07:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro

So I agree with @Toys4RJill - good community threads with smart people making it work.
and to think some thought the forum was gonna be ruined because of this thread.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its on the trunk lid
That really is too bad. Is there any other welds on the trunk? Like on the sides…
Old 02-24-24, 07:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Originally Posted by somethingfornothing

Of course I'm far from able to afford something like this, I think Mercedes knocked things out of the park with this design.

Pictures do make things look better than in person but this is a brilliant design.
In person it’s not quite so brilliant lol

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
That really is too bad. Is there any other welds on the trunk? Like on the sides…
The welds in general are not as hidden as on a Lexus. There’s no edging trim.
Old 02-24-24, 07:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The welds in general are not as hidden as on a Lexus. There’s no edging trim.
Yeah. I can see that now. I wonder if other MBs are like that
Old 02-24-24, 08:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah. I can see that now. I wonder if other MBs are like that
Yeah they are, it’s just a difference between the brands. I have noticed similar things with BMWs
Old 02-24-24, 08:52 PM
somethingfornothing
Rookie

In person it’s not quite so brilliant lol
Think this design language will trickle down into the the E and C classes? I'm not familiar with Mercedes design so I really don't even know what they have now.
Old 02-24-24, 09:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So a friend of ours got free tickets at her work to the Auto Show. She invited us to the show so we went again. $26 value

here are a few cars I didn’t see the first time

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-24-24 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-24-24, 09:31 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 249 Likes on 189 Posts

it very much symbolizes a lot of current era mercedes... looks cool and appealing from the right angle, but then you start pressing buttons and examining at a closer level

Old 02-24-24, 09:36 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 249 Likes on 189 Posts

So a friend of ours got free tickets at her work to the Auto Show. She invited us to the show so we went again. $26 value

here are a few cars I didn’t see the first time
oh wow i actually know what that offroad 911 is now since it was just discussed in the latest grand tour special, also i'm a sucker for a porsche with a rothmans livery!

this sold at auction for $5.9 million!
Old 02-24-24, 09:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
(Thread drift alert: skip if not a skier or New Englander)
i think skier and new englander are mutually exclusive.
skiing in new england is more like ice skating.

Originally Posted by LH1
My 2024 IS 500 should be here Thursday.
awesome. welcome to the snarling v8/exhaust note club.

Its on the trunk lid
can't tell from your pic why that isn't very visible all the time, but i agree with bob, it looks like a repair. can you take a shot from further away to understand where this is on the trunk lid and why it wouldn't be visible always?

Some swore to never post in this thread…but they eventually did
and to think some thought the forum was gonna be ruined because of this thread.
snide remarks about me noted. when i was still a mod i said i wouldn't be participating because i felt it was completely at odds with a forum where topics are normally broken into separate threads, not a free for all like this one. obviously i was overruled and that's one big factor as to why i chose to no longer be a mod. now that i don't care how the forum is run, i might as well post in here because it's easier/lazier. you can always add me to your ignore list if it triggers you to see my posts. i know others here don't agree but to me it's completely at odds with a broader sense of community because this community is 99% the posts of a handful of people. another random post thread was create years before this one (team late night, by another former mod) and was pushed (not by me) into the dungeon of CL, namely the hall of fame sub-forum. it has continued, starting a new thread every year or two.

with other 'rules' now like ev comments can't be made in car chat, this thread has largely become the old ice car chat thread. not that there's anything wrong with that given the setup now.
Old 02-24-24, 09:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
oh wow i actually know what that offroad 911 is now since it was just discussed in the latest grand tour special, also i'm a sucker for a porsche with a rothmans livery!

this sold at auction for $5.9 million!
it was a pretty cool Porsche. I didn’t know there were these old models
Old 02-24-24, 10:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Think this design language will trickle down into the the E and C classes? I'm not familiar with Mercedes design so I really don't even know what they have now.
You can look at the new E and C dash designs. The influence is there but the execution is better.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can't tell from your pic why that isn't very visible all the time, but i agree with bob, it looks like a repair. can you take a shot from further away to understand where this is on the trunk lid and why it wouldn't be visible always?
It’s not a repair, I noticed that when the car was new and I looked at other S Classes, they’re all the same.

It’s in the trunk jamb, so when the trunk is closed you can’t see it. There is like a bead of sealer that MB pits around the welding for the skin to the inner part of the door, and they clearly use a tool there to press that sealant into that junction.
Old 02-24-24, 10:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So taking in the show a second time. My general thoughts are that there is a huge economic crash coming one day and so many automakers are not ready for it. Only the Japanese (Nissan, Toyota, Subaru) and somewhat Hyundai have anything remotely affordable. 3 cylinders are now so prevalent. I can see why Toyota put so much development into their G16E-GTS. Toyota’s 3 cylinder is so far ahead of every other manufacturer. I will also say that EVs are way too expensive. Lexus was the only mainstream brand to have a V8 in a 4 door. I can’t think of anything else. I thought I was gonna be more impressed with Land Cruiser and Lexus GX550. I didn’t really like the new Mustang all that much, apparently it’s a carry over platform.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the auto show. It was so busy. My main takeaway from the show, was ifI had to buy a new car today. I would buy a Subaru Impreza. Such a nice little car that felt so old but yet still so modern. .
Old 02-24-24, 10:21 PM
somethingfornothing
Rookie

So taking in the show a second time. My general thoughts are that there is a huge economic crash coming one day and so many automakers are not ready for it. Only the Japanese (Nissan, Toyota, Subaru) and somewhat Hyundai have anything remotely affordable. 3 cylinders are now so prevalent. I can see why Toyota put so much development into their G16E-GTS. Toyota’s 3 cylinder is so far ahead of every other manufacturer. I will also say that EVs are way too expensive. Lexus was the only mainstream brand to have a V8 in a 4 door. I can’t think of anything else. I thought I was gonna be more impressed with Land Cruiser and Lexus GX550. I didn’t really like the new Mustang all that much, apparently it’s a carry over platform.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the auto show. It was so busy. My main takeaway from the show, was ifI had to buy a new car today. I would buy a Subaru Impreza. Such a nice little car that felt so old but yet still so modern. .
..Explain?
Old 02-24-24, 10:24 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I would buy a Subaru Impreza. Such a nice little car that felt so old but yet still so modern. .
I think I saw one of those the other day.

I don't really see many Suburu's, just here and there.
They have some nice looking cars for basic transportation.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1