Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-24, 10:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by somethingfornothing
..Explain?
‘Like. It had a nice big screen. But at the same time had old school heated seats buttons that say ON/OFF No electrification so less to break in 10 years. Or 15 years. I perceive that it will last longer longer due to the lack of hybrid, electrification,. It has mechanical full time 4wd. Is nice and light and is relatively roomy. It makes the most sense for like $35K. Just thinking with my head
Old 02-24-24, 10:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
I
They have some nice looking cars for basic transportation.
‘yeah. They do.
Old 02-24-24, 10:32 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think skier and new englander are mutually exclusive.
skiing in new england is more like ice …..
That’s the sleeper effect. You can ski on ice, western snow is like a treat. Honestly it works like that.

One day at work, our local star, John Egan, who made big name as an extreme skier, had an exhibition race with Johnny Moseley (Olympic darling). John thrashed Johnny on all runs, all times. California Gold Medal winner could not keep up on Eastern bumps/slopes. I watched, it was video’d broadcast. I skied with John Egan a (very) few times, we had mutual friends. I could follow the lines but vastly always behind, but not wiped on my but at least. .

A lot of Olympic skiers come from the East, it’s not rare. It’s actually harder/better training, but less skiing population vs. the west. Any given day, I want to ski Taos. Next day, Alta. If both of those suck, then I want Sugarbush or Stowe to push myself, and if Taos and Alta are both skint, then the Rockies are having a bad year and you should go east. It really is very unbalanced that way many seasons.
Old 02-24-24, 10:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

i
snide remarks about me noted. when i was still a mod i said i wouldn't be participating because i felt it was completely at odds with a forum where topics are normally broken into separate threads, not a free for all like this one. obviously i was overruled and that's one big factor as to why i chose to no longer be a mod. now that i don't care how the forum is run, i might as well post in here because it's easier/lazier. you can always add me to your ignore list if it triggers you to see my posts. i know others here don't agree but to me it's completely at odds with a broader sense of community because this community is 99% the posts of a handful of people. another random post thread was create years before this one (team late night, by another former mod) and was pushed (not by me) into the dungeon of CL, namely the hall of fame sub-forum. it has continued, starting a new thread every year or two.

with other 'rules' now like ev comments can't be made in car chat, this thread has largely become the old ice car chat thread. not that there's anything wrong with that given the setup now.
I am sorry you feel this way. And everything you said. You are in this thread so let’s become friends?
Spoiler

@bitkahuna your LC500 was at the show. With the big 5.0 engine. It was very difficult to get into it because it was so popular. I think the new screen is too far away so looking back in hindsight, remote touch is sort of superior.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-24-24 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-24-24, 11:24 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

In terms of styling and design, it seems like Kia and Hyundai are killing it right now. I've been seeing more new Hyundais on the road lately and they look amazing.

It's too bad my trust in the company is pretty low and I wouldn't buy or recommend one.
Old 02-24-24, 11:29 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
In terms of styling and design, it seems like Kia and Hyundai are killing it right now. I've been seeing more new Hyundais on the road lately and they look amazing.

It's too bad my trust in the company is pretty low and I wouldn't buy or recommend one.
I have to admit, I think the new Hyundai's look pretty good.

Seen a few around and they really stepped up their game, big time.
Old 02-24-24, 11:42 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I have to admit, I think the new Hyundai's look pretty good.

Seen a few around and they really stepped up their game, big time.
it's gotten to the point where hyundai/kia has stepped up enough that i honestly wouldn't have a problem recommending one over most toyotas... 10 years ago that certainly wouldn't have been the case, and 20 years ago forget about it lol
Old 02-24-24, 11:55 PM
somethingfornothing
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

That's the thing, and that's the number one reason for their high level of sales: they have eye-pleasing designs. You see nothing but recall after recall. Quality issue after quality issue with this company. They cut corners like no other company in history. Literally the only reason they sell so many vehicles is because uneducated folks buy them based off their appearance. Nothing else.
Old 02-25-24, 12:03 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
it was a pretty cool Porsche. I didn’t know there were these old models
the top one is a 962 which was a highly successful and Le Mans winning group C race car, it was never designed for the road but companies like Dauer and Schuppan still converted several to be road legal and sold them to customers lol (obviously the sultan of brunei has one)

and the bottom one is a 959 which porsche originally designed to compete in group B rally racing, the series actually ended up disbanding before the car get any serious usage but porsche still had to produce several hundred street variants to comply with the racing regulations... bill gates bought one of these 0-60 in 3.5s is pretty damn good for the 80s!
Old 02-25-24, 01:00 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Thanks Jill! I'm super excited.

I've been looking at the IS 500 for 2 years. I finally had enough of browsing Autotrader and other sites. This insanely rare color combo popped up in VA and I had to jump on it.
Congrats! I am happy for you and I wish you lots of enjoyment!
Old 02-25-24, 02:44 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
‘Like. It had a nice big screen. But at the same time had old school heated seats buttons that say ON/OFF No electrification so less to break in 10 years. Or 15 years. I perceive that it will last longer longer due to the lack of hybrid, electrification,. It has mechanical full time 4wd. Is nice and light and is relatively roomy. It makes the most sense for like $35K. Just thinking with my head
This has been beaten to death. Toyota hybrids are a prime example.

Quality is quality.
Old 02-25-24, 05:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

TOYOTA Hybrids have a great history, others have struggled with the 48v systems. Mercedes is a great example. I thought it was interesting that the new Hurricane I6 from FCA is not a 48v system when Ram was one of the first to start using one with the Hemi.

i know others here don't agree but to me it's completely at odds with a broader sense of community because this community is 99% the posts of a handful of people.

I would challenge this by pointing out that we have several new contributors to this thread right now...and CarChat has always been made up of mainly posts from a small group of people.
Old 02-25-24, 06:20 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I think it's interesting how people will come along and be crazy active, amass a 4 figure post count and then just ghost.

But then I'm a forum dork and always have been.
Old 02-25-24, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

It is really interesting I agree
Old 02-25-24, 06:59 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the top one is a 962 which was a highly successful and Le Mans winning group C race car, it was never designed for the road but companies like Dauer and Schuppan still converted several to be road legal and sold them to customers lol (obviously the sultan of brunei has one)

That thing is absolutely beautiful! I guess this was a precursor to the Daytona prototypes that run in IMSA?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1