Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
We looked at the GLS63 they had and it was really nice but it should be because when I spec’d it out it was $160k which is more than I want to spend. Funny you mention the GLS580, we plan to look at one and will probably test drive one of those next.
I really liked the GLS580, it feels like a whole different vehicle than the 450 really.
Old 02-25-24, 05:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So doing research into what I might expect if I keep my S560 longer term. Hmm lol

Old 02-25-24, 06:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So doing research into what I might expect if I keep my S560 longer term. Hmm lol

https://youtu.be/Qb0WrxMkl40?si=2tnHlLUQFgLf6lqI
At some point you have got to take a stand and take a chance. You might have these issues or you might not. My intuition tells that you will have some problems with this engine and overall car outside of warranty as these cars are designed to make you upgrade at some point.

Didn’t you purchase an extended warranty?
Old 02-25-24, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I did buy an extended warranty, I’m not actually worried about it…but all in all I would rather not deal with this stuff covered or not.
Old 02-25-24, 07:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts

I love European cars lol. Love that they have built in mounts for racks like this on a luxury sedan

Oh it's even cooler than that, on my A8s if you have the factory rack it ties into the ESP program and the car adjusts for it being there. Full top down integration!
Old 02-25-24, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That’s really cool!
Old 02-25-24, 08:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

We looked at the GLS63 they had and it was really nice but it should be because when I spec’d it out it was $160k which is more than I want to spend. Funny you mention the GLS580, we plan to look at one and will probably test drive one of those next.
I found the same general vibes as you when I was flagship shopping before, the BMWs just rode harder than needed for no real gain and I just could not get over the shifting on the AMGs. That alone is essentially what stopped me from a W222 S63, I just couldn't get into it without strange TQ limiting and shift weirdness in the early gears.....

Try the SQ8, it's similar to the Porsche but IMO more direct/driver centric unless you get a turbo S.

Agree on the rovers always needing the top engine, the lesser ones are for people who just want the badge and that extends to some level with all of the euro brands.
Old 02-25-24, 08:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

God the comments are funny on that video!

A lot of those issues are just a thing with any modern turbo engine, the placement/packaging is just annoying and requires an engine out to quickly address certain problems.

One of my key considerations when I select something to own is how hard that stuff is to get to and that's one reason I love the Audi EA824, the packaging and seal design is brilliant.

The thermostat and pump are all down low on the drivers side and can be done on the ground bumper on, the valve covers don't exist, they have integrated cam caps and structural sealant and I've yet to see one leak, mounts are super easy due to the two piece subframe and book calls for under 5 hours, oil separator can be done much easier due to location and again on the ground. The only thing I don't like is the DI injectors are located under the intake manifolds and require engine out or extreme creativity to access. It can be cheated on an A8 but not on any other car with that engine.

In Mercedes case this engine is a huge improvement over the last one in terms of access and issues. The low mount 4.6/5.5 is on my blacklist due to how bad they are to work on and how common issues are
Old 02-25-24, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No doubt the M176 is an improvement over the previous engine, he says that too.

I haven’t read the comments lol, I will.
Old 02-25-24, 08:36 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Try the SQ8, it's similar to the Porsche but IMO more direct/driver centric unless you get a turbo S.

Agree on the rovers always needing the top engine, the lesser ones are for people who just want the badge and that extends to some level with all of the euro brands.
I am going to see if I can find a RSQ8 to drive since it’s in the same ballpark price wise compared to the others. It’s just a matter of getting my wife to drive one because for some reason she doesn’t like the looks of them. In a Throttle House video between the X5M, RSQ8 and the GLE63 they said the RSQ8 was the one they would pick because it drives like a SQ8 until you want it to drive like an RSQ8 whereas the others are in competition mode all the time. Interesting enough is in the video they said they liked Trackhawk seats and the way it drove better than all of these.

As for the RR Sport, I’m hesitant because they don’t offer the BMW TTV8 (except for the SV) but instead replaced it with the PHEV inline 6 and I wonder if I would be disappointed in it because it ain’t no TTV8 and when SW test drove the PHEV MB S class he said he didn’t like it when it was in ICE only mode.
Old 02-25-24, 08:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It all depends on the engine. I thought RRs I6 felt smoother than the MB I6.
Old 02-25-24, 09:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I am going to see if I can find a RSQ8 to drive since it’s in the same ballpark price wise compared to the others. It’s just a matter of getting my wife to drive one because for some reason she doesn’t like the looks of them. In a Throttle House video between the X5M, RSQ8 and the GLE63 they said the RSQ8 was the one they would pick because it drives like a SQ8 until you want it to drive like an RSQ8 whereas the others are in competition mode all the time. Interesting enough is in the video they said they liked Trackhawk seats and the way it drove better than all of these.

As for the RR Sport, I’m hesitant because they don’t offer the BMW TTV8 (except for the SV) but instead replaced it with the PHEV inline 6 and I wonder if I would be disappointed in it because it ain’t no TTV8 and when SW test drove the PHEV MB S class he said he didn’t like it when it was in ICE only mode.
I would also agree a Trackhawk (that engine is just insanely good) drives better but that's not the same class of vehicle IMO, plus I would day one tune an RSQ8 via APR and then it's no contest. Plus active suspension allows calm and angry in one car, I've really been appreciating that ability to switch as of late. Audis in general are quite good at naturally transitioning from mild to wild but can lack on the extremes....

As far as looks go RR has no equal and I vastly prefer a Q7/RSQ7 over the 8s since it's the same platform and you just end up paying more for less room inside the Q8.
Old 02-26-24, 06:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I test drove a few two row SUVs this weekend to see if any would be a replacement for our X7 when the lease is up in May.. We test drove the BMW X5M, MB GLE63 AMG, RR Sport and the Porsche Cayenne. We We know that the cargo space is going to be smaller than our last two three row SUVs but we were hoping the second row would be roomy enough for our kids who are now teenagers. Here were my quick impressions:

X5M - This is the one I wanted to like most. I am familiar with them since I have had two BMWs recently (and currently have one). In terms of cargo space, it was pretty good but the rear seat legroom wasn't great and seemed to be the smallest of the four based on where I have my driver's seat set. The throttle response was great and engine was awesome. Unfortunately, as I have heard, the ride was pretty rough/stiff, more so than I thought it would be. My Durango SRT was pretty rough/stiff but we loved that SUV and this was worse and my wife ruled it out. I could see it being tiring on a long trip.
The ride is a real bummer. It's just never calms down.

GLE63 - This one seemed to have the best cargo and leg room in the rear seat. I really liked the interior with all of the carbon fiber although the infotainment and controls seemed pretty complex. The steering wheel was great but it had so many controls it was overwhelming but I'm sure I would get used to it over time. I really liked the looks of this one and with the interior space, I thought this could be the one...until I drove it. When driving it, it felt heavy and the transmission was terrible. I never thought the transmission would be that big of a deal but it was almost schizophrenic trying to find the right gear. It was really strange and I watched a Throttlehouse video and they confirmed what I felt.
I cannot stand the comfort mode transmission programming. I always drive in my custom individual mode in every modern AMG product I've ever had, which generally means transmission in sport mode/suspension in comfort mode/exhaust in "powerful" mode. Sport mode for the transmission is perfect, otherwise the car feels slow unless you jab the accelerator which then sends it into a frenzy. My AMG G63 is even like this.

Range Rover Sport - The seats in this SUV were the most comfortable by far and it wasn't close. The rear seat legroom was great too and we both really liked the styling. For 2024 they got rid of all of the buttons so everything pretty much has to be done on the infotainment screen. Then we drove it (it had the inline 6) and it was so under powered to my wife and I that we definitely would have to step up to the Autobiography which adds a PHEV element to the inline 6 but I still wonder if we would like this engine. One thing is clear, my wife and I definitely want a V8TT vs. a 6 cylinder turbo and it was obvious here. Maybe the PHEV would do the trick but then ordering one could take 6-7 months and that's if they can order me one.
I mentioned this earlier in this thread. I find the 6 cylinder to be totally underpowered. The PHEV still only gets 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds because of the additional weight of the battery, so don't expect it to measure up to the V8s you've test driven. It's V8 or nothing for me when it comes to the RR or RRS.

Cayenne - This one had a smaller cargo area and good rear seat legroom. I wasn't sure what to expect with this since I've never driven any Porsche. We first test drove the V6 turbo since it was the only Cayenne they had in the SUV body. We took it out for a quick drive and both said, heck no, we need a bigger engine. We went back and got the Cayenne S coupe which is only a little smaller than the SUV one but it would give us an idea of how the engine felt. The Cayenne S is a TTV8 and what an engine. It was exactly what we would want in an SUV. I wasn't sure I would like the Porsche going in but somehow Porsche figured out how to provide a perfect balance of sport and comfort in an SUV which enables it to handle like a car. It handled incredibly with the air suspension and PASM suspension. If this were for me, this is the one I would pick and since the PHEV is only a little more, I would probably get that as it just adds to the S' already great engine.
Amen to this. You can really do some damage with the options...be careful.

The only one we weren't able to test drive was the RSQ8 but my wife doesn't really like it but it's hard to tell until you drive one. What we both learned after these test drives was that we really like a V8 engine. The 6's we drove just weren't going to cut it.
Worth a test drive, but to me it couldn't compare to the Cayenne. It's a big softie though which some people like. To me, it lacks sense of occasion when you're driving about town.

So right now it is going to be between the Porsche or the Range Rover Sport Autobiography (with the PHEV 6). Given the time frame we will likely have to buy out our X7 but in test driving all of these cars, I do have to say that it gave me more of an appreciation for my X7. While I don't love the throttle response or the floatiness of it even in sport mode, it showed me how comfortable and smooth it really is with a good amount of power and it really does well when we travel for the most part.
I'm team Porsche on this one.
Old 02-26-24, 06:57 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Meh, nothing particularly scary in that video and some of it is covered from Mercedes for an extended period of time anyways. I seriously doubt you'd end up having even half of those issues in the time frame you own your car. It is interesting some cars seem to suffer from issues more often than others - the W213 E63 seems to clog its oil separators far more often than the C63, for example.
Old 02-26-24, 07:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Saw a cool IS300 today. I guess it is lightly modded. I kinda like the light delete that is going on here. Something different

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1