Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 04:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
‘if you had match sized wheels. And a full size spare. This wouldn’t have been such a hassle
if he walked everywhere he wouldn't have had to deal with it either. not sure your point. not everyone wants to drive what you like.
Old 03-01-24, 05:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if he walked everywhere he wouldn't have had to deal with it either. not sure your point. not everyone wants to drive what you like.
If SW had a full size spare, SW wouldn’t have been towed. I just question the value of staggered tires…

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-01-24 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-01-24, 05:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If SW had a full size spare, SW wouldn’t have been towed. I just question the value of staggered tires…
a full size or even mini spare is actually a separate issue to staggered. steve has no spare, but even a mini donut could have been used on any of the 4 wheels to get to a tire shop.

as to the value of staggered, i question the value of full time 4wd you revere for people whose idea of off roading is a big mall parking lot.

staggered wheels/tires look better, provide more traction to the rear, and are standard on almost every car with performance credentials.

but yeah, if one has awd/4wd or rotating tires is important, then staggered is not the way to go.
Old 03-01-24, 06:21 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I prefer a square setup because I like being able to rotate my tires. Also how do staggered wheels look better? You can’t tell the rear tires are wider unless you take them off and compare to the front.
Old 03-01-24, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

This experience has shown me, I would like a temporary spare. A temp spare would have gotten me home without a tow, and I could have dealt with the situation with the car safely in the garage.

Now with that said, excluding the bizarre two tire issue with the Pacifica this is the first time this has happened to me (a sidewall tear that rendered the tire totally unusable) in 25 years. If the flat had been a nail AAA would have plugged it at the roadside or I could have used the slime kit and been on my way, its a pretty unusual occurrence. But, I think the what, 10 inches of floor height it saves me to not have a temp spare in the trunk is worth trading in for a temp spare.

The staggered wheels, on this kind of car (AWD, luxury sedan) I think the staggered wheels aren't worth the tradeoffs. I would rather they be square.
Old 03-01-24, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Also how do staggered wheels look better? You can’t tell the rear tires are wider unless you take them off and compare to the front.
you can tell if you see the car from the back in particular. bmw's have used staggered setups on most vehicles forever, and in particular they've used wider tires overall (f/r) for a certain look. it works.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This experience has shown me, I would like a temporary spare. A temp spare would have gotten me home without a tow, and I could have dealt with the situation with the car safely in the garage.
understand. my g90 had the temp spare and i needed it a few months into driving it! stupid nail. but allowed me to get to tire shop, get tire repaired, and back on the road quickly.

The staggered wheels, on this kind of car (AWD, luxury sedan) I think the staggered wheels aren't worth the tradeoffs. I would rather they be square.
i agree. staggered best for sports cars / sedans but not really needed on big flagships.
Old 03-01-24, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

That was the other part of it, I had to leave the car at the shop that does my tires which isn't in an upscale place, and my car sitting in that big empty lot at night stuck out like a sore thumb...would have rather it sat in the garage on a temp spare until the tires came in

You can buy one, some people on MBWorld have them but they take up the whole trunk

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-01-24 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-01-24, 08:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as to the value of staggered, i question the value of full time 4wd you revere for people whose idea of off roading is a big mall parking lot.
Good

Now with that said, excluding the bizarre two tire issue with the Pacifica this is the first time this has happened to me (a sidewall tear that rendered the tire totally unusable) in 25 years. If the flat had been a nail AAA would have plugged it at the roadside or I could have used the slime kit and been on my way, its a pretty unusual occurrence. But, I think the what, 10 inches of floor height it saves me to not have a temp spare in the trunk is worth trading in for a temp spare.

That was the other part of it, I had to leave the car at the shop that does my tires which isn't in an upscale place, and my car sitting in that big empty lot at night stuck out like a sore thumb...would have rather it sat in the garage on a temp spare until the tires came in

You can buy one, some people on MBWorld have them but they take up the whole trunk
@SW17LS if you had full size spare, you would be better off than a donut. Once you put the full size spare tire on, you can can then go to any tire shop at your leisure. A temporary spare imposes limitations and restrictions on you.

And technically, you’d risk damaging your full time four wheel drive system on your S560 with a temp.
Old 03-01-24, 08:47 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Are your OEM tires RFs? I'm surprised that you don't have a spare.
Staggered tires won't prevent you from getting a spare, even when the tires are RFs. It's an option for some brands. Many squared set up vehicles no longer have a spare. Most EVs don't have spares either. I'm not sure how people feel about this. I either have to have RF or spare, esp. if I use it for road trips.

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I prefer a square setup because I like being able to rotate my tires. Also how do staggered wheels look better? You can’t tell the rear tires are wider unless you take them off and compare to the front.
I think staggered tires look better when on the right ones. You can still rotate. You rotate left-right.
Old 03-01-24, 08:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Staggered tires won't prevent you from getting a spare, even when the tires are RFs. It's an option for some brands. Many squared set up vehicles no longer have a spare. Most EVs don't have spares either. I'm not sure how people feel about this. I either have to have RF or spare, esp. if I use it for road trips.
I don’t think there is any car that comes with staggered tires and a full time spare with full time four wheel drive.

Most EVs don't have spares either. I'm not sure how people feel about this.
No idea

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-01-24 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-01-24, 09:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don’t think there is any car that comes with staggered tires and a full time spare with full time four wheel drive.
The closest I have seen to that was my IS350. It was AWD, with a staggered setup, but with a donut/temporary spare.
Old 03-01-24, 09:19 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Pretty fair assumption to make, considering only 3% of new cars sold come with a spare tire as standard, full size or not. I believe the only AWD car that comes with a full-size spare is the Subaru Outback.

Combine that overall rarity with the fact that the only cars typically equipped with staggered wheels/tires are ones where driving dynamics are highly valued, having a spare taking up half the cargo space and adding 100 lbs to the curb weight isn't exactly top priority. It's totally possible, just generally not desirable.
Old 03-01-24, 09:26 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My grandparents 2010 C300 sport has a staggered setup which is overkill for 200 hp entry level luxury sedan. And it’s certainly not obvious from eye level that they’re staggered.
Old 03-01-24, 09:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Pretty fair assumption to make, considering only 3% of new cars sold come with a spare tire as standard, full size or not. I believe the only AWD car that comes with a full-size spare is the Subaru Outback.
Even historically that would be unusual to have full time full size spare with staggered tires

Combine that overall rarity with the fact that the only cars typically equipped with staggered wheels/tires are ones where driving dynamics are highly valued, having a spare taking up half the cargo space and adding 100 lbs to the curb weight isn't exactly top priority. It's totally possible, just generally not desirable.
I only question the value of staggered tires when it comes to having a flat that sidelines the car....

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-01-24 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-01-24, 10:09 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

I want a full size spare tire.

Even if it means I have to drive a bigger car that has room for it.
​​​​​

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1