Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 04:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The experience at that little dealer is nothing to be excited about lol, there is hardly any waiting area, they have people sitting literally in the entrance foyer. The new modern Lexus dealers are way, way better. Little dealer like this just can't handle the volume of customers a Lexus dealer serves today.
The Toyota/Lexus dealer I used to go to was a split dealer. Even open to midnight for service. And closed on weekends. They created this giant place with all the amenities…and service went completely downhill. I used to go out of my way to them but never again for service. I vastly preferred the smaller shop feel they had before. They were one of the very first Toyota dealers with drive thru service system saying all the way back to the 80s.

Originally Posted by JDR76
When I was younger, my folks had a Camry (1995) and I remember that 4 cylinder being super smooth.
‘the older Toyota engines were smoother, especially the belt driven models. But, the older engines were behind on hp and performance.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-05-24 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-05-24, 04:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm all for the seat to save the tax! Just a nicely upholstered parcel shelf
No way, the shelf is way better. It's not pointless.
Old 01-05-24, 04:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
100%. With you. The cramped seat is doesn’t work
Old 01-05-24, 04:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It's a super nice parcel shelf with killer-nice carpet in the SL:

Bose bass portholes right behind the seat, excellent stereo.

Don’t mind the gun there lol. It’s not chambered and safety is on.

Last edited by AJT123; 01-05-24 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-05-24, 04:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It's a super nice parcel shelf with killer-nice carpet in the SL:

Bose bass portholes right behind the seat, excellent stereo.

Don’t mind the gun there lol. It’s not chambered and safety is on.
A two seater is special. That parcel shelf is nice

here is Buick

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-05-24 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-05-24, 05:03 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

And maybe 1% of Accord buyers care at all about how fast it is. Thats why bringing back the 2.0T really isn't a big deal. If you look at Accord sales, they're up...thats all that matters. With the Camry, nobody bought the V6...

Its an Accord, its not an enthusiast car.

Old 01-05-24, 05:06 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

And maybe 1% of Accord buyers care at all about how fast it is. Thats why bringing back the 2.0T really isn't a big deal. If you look at Accord sales, they're up...thats all that matters. With the Camry, nobody bought the V6...

Its an Accord, its not an enthusiast car.
Originally Posted by Carfan94
My GS was in the shop for weeks for accident repair (which has been a complete nightmare!!) I had two rentals first a Malibu 1.5T (Blah) And then a Camry Se 2.5. The Camry is so much more appealing and enjoyable to drive than that cheap GM plastic Malibu with its CVT. Even if I had to rev it out more to keep up with traffic. The ride on the Camry was more plush as well with the tires set to the same PSI. Even though they were lower profile. I think the Camry had softer rubber though than the low rolling resistant crap mounted on the Bu.

But both cars felt pretty soft and floaty compared to my 3GS. In the past the SE Camrys got a firmer suspension tune than the LEs but I’m not sure that’s the case anymore as the one I rented felt pretty soft and compliant.

Also I no longer feel the tire noise on my GS objectionable.Lol After being in those rentals with their loud tires. And thin insulation.

If I got a Camry I would have to get either the Hybrid or the V6 in a higher trim level. Just from my drivability standpoint that 2.5 had to be revved out too much in daily driving and 8 speed shifted weird sometimes. I actually really like the new 2025 Camry.
I rode in the back seat of a 2023 Camry SE for 2+hrs. Worst ride I’ve ever experienced. My back was in knots. Definitely would not buy another one although I used to own an 07 SE V6. I think it was from the stiffness of the sporty suspension.

If I were to do it all over again, I would buy a Camry hybrid LE over my Prius.
Old 01-05-24, 05:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I rode in the back seat of a 2023 Camry SE for 2+hrs. Worst ride I’ve ever experienced. My back was in knots. Definitely would not buy another one although I used to own an 07 SE V6. I think it was from the stiffness of the sporty suspension.

If I were to do it all over again, I would buy a Camry hybrid LE over my Prius.
SE models tend to ride harder. My Matrix is the sport model, gets fatiguing after awhile. But I have the upsized engine, does feel more responsive with handling

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-05-24 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-05-24, 05:17 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

The experience at that little dealer is nothing to be excited about lol, there is hardly any waiting area, they have people sitting literally in the entrance foyer. The new modern Lexus dealers are way, way better. Little dealer like this just can't handle the volume of customers a Lexus dealer serves today.
Do you guys local Lexus dealer give courtesy car washes? I take the LX to the dealer to get courtesy hand washed every week. I haven’t washed it myself in years. I wash other vehicles at home.
Old 01-05-24, 06:16 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,613 Likes on 1,029 Posts

My local dealer (Lexus of Seattle) does not give the free washes unless the car is in for service, but it’s an automated wash so I always ask them to not wash it.
Old 01-05-24, 06:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The Toyota/Lexus dealer I used to go to was a split dealer. Even open to midnight for service. And closed on weekends. They created this giant place with all the amenities…and service went completely downhill. I used to go out of my way to them but never again for service. I vastly preferred the smaller shop feel they had before. They were one of the very first Toyota dealers with drive thru service system saying all the way back to the 80s.
Yeah that doesn’t describe this place lol

The seats not pointless, like Jill said it avoids the tariff. That’s a point!

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Do you guys local Lexus dealer give courtesy car washes? I take the LX to the dealer to get courtesy hand washed every week. I haven’t washed it myself in years. I wash other vehicles at home.
They do but they do a terrible job.
Old 01-05-24, 07:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although it has been some time ago, I did some Lexus reviews there at Silver Spring (by CL-member request), including the original IS-F and the excellent 4th-generation ES300. Nice classy place.
Ive been there a few times and never had a great experience buying there. The one time I actually tried buying from them they tried to bait and switch with me after I put a $1000 deposit down. Ended up going somewhere else. Did you actually buy from them?
Old 01-05-24, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The seats not pointless, like Jill said it avoids the tariff. That’s a point!
I think the tariff is lime 2%. I think it ruins the vehicle. Just go all out
Old 01-05-24, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Ive been there a few times and never had a great experience buying there. The one time I actually tried buying from them they tried to bait and switch with me after I put a $1000 deposit down. Ended up going somewhere else. Did you actually buy from them?

No, I got my 2001 IS300 from Pohanka in Chantilly. It was a lot closer to my place. I had a friend who lives not far from the Silver Spring Lexus place.

I was not totally satisfied with the experience at Pohanka either. First, they were not willing to negotiate much on the price (perhaps because it was a hard-to-find bright yellow model)...the salesman wanted to give me more of a break, but the sales-managers kept balking. Then, after taking delivery, I butted-heads with the General Manager, several times, who was adamant that customers were not allowed to wash their own cars in the clean-up-bay. The previous Saturn dealership I had dealt with was glad to let me do it in their shop...but not these bozos. They lost a customer by doing that....I have not bought another vehicle from that place since, although I did some reviews/test-drives and have gone there with others.
Old 01-05-24, 07:20 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I agree, I’d rather have a parcel shelf for the most part but with my kids when they were small and me not being tall I wouldn’t mind the back seats. Absent small kids, give me the parcel shelf all day every day.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1