Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 11:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Permanently? or only till you get to a tire shop?
Not permanently, I do eventually want to get back to the stock config, which after all is there for performance reasons. But if it's a couple of days/weeks to get the wheel and/or tire replaced, whatever. I'm driving on an alloy wheel with a properly balanced, premium tire of the correct diameter. The car drives fine, and can be driven as far and as fast as I want.

I actually did that about 6 years ago. Popped a front tire, reinflated it, and replaced it with one of my 17" winters when I got home. It took Costco about 2 weeks to get me a new Pilot Super Sport in the correct size. So I commuted for 8 or 9 days, 45 minutes to an hour each way (probably around 700 miles total), on tires of three different sizes--225/55/17 and 235/40/18 in the front, two 265/35/18 in the back.
Old 03-01-24, 11:41 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

This is the stupidest possible way to do tire rotation, I'm honestly amazed that Toyota recommends it. It makes treadwear artificially UNeven. Your left tires have to be replaced when the right ones still have a third of their tread left. Better to never rotate them at all.

The proper way to do a 5-tire rotation is below:

Last edited by geko29; 03-01-24 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-01-24, 11:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
This is the stupidest possible way to do tire rotation. It makes treadwear artificially UNeven. Your left tires have to be replaced when the right ones still have a third of their tread left. Better to never rotate them at all.

The proper way to do a 5-tire rotation is below:

I am not an engineer.

What brand and model is your diagram from?
Old 03-01-24, 11:52 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

I am not an engineer.

What brand and model is your diagram from?
It's from TireRack, and is applicable to all brands and models where tires can be fully rotated, which obviously excludes those with staggered wheels or directional tires.
Old 03-01-24, 11:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It's from TireRack, and is applicable to all brands and models where tires can be fully rotated, which obviously excludes those with staggered wheels or directional tires.
In the Toyota diagram. The tires always rotate the same way. If they are crossed, the tires rotate a different way after rotation...That is how I perceive the reason why Toyota is recommending it. Why I am not sure..
Old 03-01-24, 12:18 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

In the Toyota diagram. The tires always rotate the same way. If they are crossed, the tires rotate a different way after rotation...That is how I perceive the reason why Toyota is recommending it. Why I am not sure..
Which is what you would have to do if your tires were directional (meaning, designed to only rotate one way). But if that were the case, then you don't actually have a spare for the left side of the vehicle. Which, since that's the side of the vehicle that incurs more tire wear, is the side more likely to have a flat.

I strongly suspect 4Runner tires are not directional. Typically only some ultra high-performance and winter tires are. This would be noted by an arrow on the sidewall that says "Rotation-->"

I suspect the reason it's in there, is because this WAS the correct way to do 5-tire rotations back in the 50s when radial tires were first introduced, and they just never thought about it again. Putting a tire that was "used" to wearing in one direction on the opposite side of the car slightly increased the possibility of a blowout. But tire quality has improved immeasurably in the past 70+ years, so that's not a concern anymore. But even when it was a concern, doing a 5-tire rotation like this meant you didn't have a spare for the left side. So you either had to do a 4-tire rotation with a dedicated spare (that hadn't "learned"), or a 6-tire rotation with TWO spares, one designated for each side.

Last edited by geko29; 03-01-24 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-01-24, 12:33 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Why in the hell would anybody drive around with their spare on permanently?
Laziness and lack of money. I see it all the time in my city with bald temporary spares that people have been driving around on. I also see cars on the side of the road with a flat spare.
Old 03-01-24, 12:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Which is what you would have to do if your tires were directional (meaning, designed to only rotate one way). But if that were the case, then you don't actually have a spare for the left side of the vehicle. Which, since that's the side of the vehicle that incurs more tire wear, is the side more likely to have a flat. .
I never thought of that.

I suspect the reason it's in there, is because this WAS the correct way to do 5-tire rotations back in the 50s when radial tires were first introduced, and they just never thought about it again. Putting a tire that was "used" to wearing in one direction on the opposite side of the car slightly increased the possibility of a blowout. But tire quality has improved immeasurably in the past 70+ years, so that's not a concern anymore. But even when it was a concern, doing a 5-tire rotation like this meant you didn't have a spare for the left side. So you either had to do a 4-tire rotation with a dedicated spare (that hadn't "learned"), or a 6-tire rotation with TWO spares, one designated for each side.
Previous Toyota models did the cross method.

1998 LX470

2007 LX470

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-01-24 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-01-24, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I’m going to buy stock in tire rack. So my mom got in her car to come over here and watch the kids while my wife and I go out to dinner, she’s got a flat tire lol

Old 03-01-24, 02:55 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

What the hell!?!? The tire Gods are not happy with you right now lol.
Old 03-01-24, 02:57 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh dear. I do like the color of your old ES though.

Michelin Premier, do they even make those still?
Old 03-01-24, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
What the hell!?!? The tire Gods are not happy with you right now lol.
Apparently I angered them somehow! I've bought 10 tires in the last 6 months!

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Oh dear. I do like the color of your old ES though.

Michelin Premier, do they even make those still?
Yeah its Black Garnet Pearl, at one time it looked like this (except with a black interior):

I don't think they do, those tires are probably pretty old. still have good tread on them...we'll see if they can plug it, she drives so little...
Old 03-01-24, 03:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I’m going to buy stock in tire rack. So my mom got in her car to come over here and watch the kids while my wife and I go out to dinner, she’s got a flat tire lol

does it come with a full time spare?

(Sorry. Just couldn’t resist)

Spoiler

celebrating 20 years…

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-01-24 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-01-24, 03:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Yeah its Black Garnet Pearl, at one time it looked like this (except with a black interior):

I don't think they do, those tires are probably pretty old. still have good tread on them...we'll see if they can plug it, she drives so little...

Do you owe the mob money?
Old 03-01-24, 03:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Somebody has been going through our parking lot at work the last few days and vandalizing cars.

Probably going to stop driving the BMW to work until that's resolved.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1