Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 07:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
aren't all shows regional?
when i think of car shows and especially sitting in cars that hundreds if not thousands of others have done as well, all i can think of is germs.
Oh no, the germs of the hoi polloi!
Old 03-02-24, 07:54 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Wow that's impressive and certainly bucks the trend.

Autoshow's are still in decline though. 10 years from now it will be like walking around an appliance section at HD or Lowes.
I hope not but you're probably right.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You've developed quite the aversion to germs...

I enjoy car shows, I think being able to see and experience all the new cars is a huge benefit to a car enthusiast. Pictures and videos and all aren't the same. I'm happy to see some shows doing well...that show looked great...
I must have 20 new car dealers on the main road.

Driving down the road to the store would be like a car show every day if they would cut back the bushes and trees so I can see.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I don't think it's any former employee of any business in our building. They're hitting vehicles in several parking lots around. I haven't heard any details of the damage.

I hope they end up getting some unplanned dental surgery.
Sounds like a bunch of local teenager punks with nothing better to do.

Originally Posted by geko29
Almost spit out my coffee on that one.
Happens to me almost every day on here.

Never know what everyone will say next. haha
Old 03-02-24, 07:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

From another thread, Speaking of door pulls. Check out this manual Porsche pull., all to save weight

Old 03-02-24, 07:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

@LH1

BTW. Did you get your IS500?
Old 03-02-24, 08:02 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Oh yea! Picked it up Tuesday afternoon. I'm loving it so far. The V8 is amazing.

I passed on a C55 AMG years ago and I always regretted it. Figured this is my last chance to get a V8 in a small 4 door.

Old 03-02-24, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LH1
Oh yea! Picked it up Tuesday afternoon. I'm loving it so far. The V8 is amazing.

I passed on a C55 AMG years ago and I always regretted it. Figured this is my last chance to get a V8 in a small 4 door.
‘Good for you. I am happy you are enjoying it. Saw it at the auto show, Lexus was proudly showing off the 5.0L V8
Old 03-02-24, 08:21 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

Congrats on your new ride but were's the pics?

We NEED pics. 😀. 🛻
Old 03-02-24, 08:25 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Good

also, what vehicles besides huge trucks or a few full size suvs have "full time four wheel drive"?

perfect for you maybe, and my g90 had a compact spare and staggered tires. no issue at all. why must it be a full size spare? there are space/weight considerations too you know. not everyone wants to drive a humongous vehicle.
Any AWD car from Mercedes/BMW is a full time 4wd system but technically better since it doesn't use an open center diff like a Toyota truck does. The full time 4wd system in Toyotas like mine has a open center diff lol!
Old 03-02-24, 08:25 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Is the one in my signature not showing up? The pic below was the first day I drove it into work.

It's been raining heavy all morning. Tomorrow is suppsoed to be 65 and sunny all day. I'm going to take it out for a drive and some better pics.

Old 03-02-24, 08:27 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I just don't agree with you. I think a full size permanent spare is a smart idea in every case..

So you would have two spares?

If you had a LS460awd..and you used your spare which would be a matching tire like all four...you could drive forever... And if you had followed the tire rotation to spec you'd be driving on that spare every 6 months....so instead of a spare...it's like 5th regular tire.
Uh no, the diameter has nothing to do with track width.

Also you don't want to rotate the 5th tire in, it's dirty and you would need to power wash the rim you are storing inside every time you swap. It's just a massive pain.
Old 03-02-24, 08:29 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I am not an engineer.

What brand and model is your diagram from?
That's the correct way. The method in the Toyota manual is outright incorrect and will cause unequal diameters
Old 03-02-24, 08:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
The full time 4wd system in Toyotas like mine has an open center diff lol!
Yours is not an open differential. The first Gen Sequoia was an open diff.
Old 03-02-24, 08:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Yours is not an open differential. The first Gen Sequoia was an open diff.
Its open, I have to manually lock it if I want actual 4wd. It's otherwise an open diff and I've tested that MANY times off road with it.

The full time 4wd system you espouse so often is in reality one of the worst systems for power distribution lol! The Audi Quattro 6 is the best. Period.
Old 03-02-24, 08:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Its open, I have to manually lock it if I want actual 4wd. It's otherwise an open diff and I've tested that MANY times off road with it.
your Sequoia has a limited slip differential in the centre. You can also lock it yes And you can also bypass it completely Not an open differential

I have to manually lock it if I want actual 4wd.
you don’t have to lock it to have 4WD

open center diff like a Toyota truck does.
Toyota trucks do not have a centre differential. They have a transfer case. Only Toyota truck that has a centre diff is the new Tacoma (in one trim), but it’s a limited slip diff. Not a open diff

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-02-24 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-02-24, 09:35 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

your Sequoia has a limited slip differential in the centre. You can also lock it yes And you can also bypass it completely Not an open differential

you don’t have to lock it to have 4WD

Toyota trucks do not have a centre differential. They have a transfer case. Only Toyota truck that has a centre diff is the new Tacoma (in one trim), but it’s a limited slip diff. Not a open diff
Yes they have a center diff lol! Otherwise you literally can't have an AWD mode lol! If by bypass you mean run in 2WD sure, otherwise no lol! If I'm in 4hi unlocked it's using the center diff, if I lock it then it turns into actual 4WD 50:50 fixed power split axle to axle.

It doesn't have a limited slip (torson) center diff, if it did it wouldn't act like it does off road. It has to be locked to go into actual 50:50 power split otherwise if I have even ONE wheel spin it sends all of it there.

My Jeep is the one that has actual full time AWD, it has a viscous coupling center diff system that unlike my sequoia when in 4hi is able to send power front or rear depending on what is spinning. It can also be locked into 50:50 and then dropped to 4low as needed.

The Toyota doesn't have true AWD. It has an open 4hi system when not locked, true AWD has at minimum a center torque sensing viscous diff. Good ones have torson, better ones have increased ability to split power like the Audi crown drive and the best ones allow computer control of the power split for direct control like high end Audi/Porsche cars do. The ultimate level is that plus a TVD on the axles, that's beyond an E-LSD or a two way locking diff since it's again fully active and can rotate wheels in opposite TQ values.

Nothing else compares. It allows perfect, predictive, real time control of power flow and wheel TQ. The Toyota system is a brick in comparison and loses all power distribution if even one wheel slips.

Last edited by Striker223; 03-02-24 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1