Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 10:52 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
You can still buy an E-Class wagon, A6 Allroad, or the Volvo V60/V90.
And the G91 M5 has already been confirmed to be coming here. Which presumably means the regular 5-series wagon will also, for those that don't need a 717 hp grocery getter.
Old 03-06-24, 01:52 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Um, that's exactly the engine in both of our LSs though lol. It would last forever anyway (FAA rated) even if run HARRRRRD. It's so under-stressed it's ridiculous.
i don't think you can really make that case, at least not to the extent of that old ford 4.6

in terms of specific output the VVT-i 1UZ makes about 75 hp per liter (300hp from 4.0 liters), while the ford engine at the exact same time barely achieved 50 hp per liter (about 230 hp)... even the 'high performance' variant in the mustang GT or the police interceptor only made like 250 hp by 2010 with disappointing low end torque as well

on the other hand the VVT-i 1UZ made more power from less displacement than the benzes and bimmers at the time, while still being incredibly reliable and getting surprisingly good mpgs (once you leave the city at least lol)
Old 03-06-24, 02:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i don't think you can really make that case, at least not to the extent of that old ford 4.6

in terms of specific output the VVT-i 1UZ makes about 75 hp per liter (300hp from 4.0 liters), while the ford engine at the exact same time barely achieved 50 hp per liter (about 230 hp)... even the 'high performance' variant in the mustang GT or the police interceptor only made like 250 hp by 2010 with disappointing low end torque as well

on the other hand the VVT-i 1UZ made more power from less displacement than the benzes and bimmers at the time, while still being incredibly reliable and getting surprisingly good mpgs (once you leave the city at least lol)
Oh the 4.6 is a total pig but it’s rock solid. They last a verrrry lonnnnng time, just like the UZs.

Though the drive of them both couldn’t be more different.
Old 03-06-24, 03:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Agree, an S-Class would be all I would ever need... just make sure it has a V8.

And exactly, get an S-Class and then a nice $75-100k boat for the same money.
My thing is my cars are drivers. I don’t have a fleet of cars. Am I going to drive a Bentley to work? Am I going to pull up to a clients home in a Bentley? Am I going to drive it to WV? Am I going to drive it in downtown DC?
Old 03-06-24, 04:05 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Oh the 4.6 is a total pig but it’s rock solid. They last a verrrry lonnnnng time, just like the UZs.

Though the drive of them both couldn’t be more different.
as a UZ owner yourself, take it from this former ford modular V8 owner, you shouldn't be so readily willing to draw similarities between the two engines lol

i'm not disputing the longevity of the engine, it's part of the reason police departments miss the CVPI, but to equate the formula of the modular's longevity to the formula of the 1UZ's longevity i think creates a very misleading impression... it's like if a 150 lb person can leg press a higher weight for more reps than a 350 lb person, the two no longer seem so equal

the UZ lasts a long time and achieves great performance/efficiency, the ford engine just lasts a long time by being highly unoptimized lol... not from being meticulously obsessed over by passionate top level engineers
Old 03-06-24, 06:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My thing is my cars are drivers. I don’t have a fleet of cars. Am I going to drive a Bentley to work? Am I going to pull up to a clients home in a Bentley? Am I going to drive it to WV? Am I going to drive it in downtown DC?
I mean you totally could....but I would not and I could imagine the annoyance of driving something that nice everywhere. Plus the stigma etc...

I do have a fleet however and I can drive something more tailored to what I'm doing/how I want to present to someone so in my case a Bentley is a nice option to have.
Old 03-06-24, 06:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I don't understand this post. Could you explain it another way please?

as a UZ owner yourself, take it from this former ford modular V8 owner, you shouldn't be so readily willing to draw similarities between the two engines lol
Lol I'm not. All I said was they last forever. That Panther V8 has nothing on an UZ... it's not a performance oriented engine just right off the bat. It's underpowered, a SOHC when it should have been OHV for better torque (it's soft), it does not rev freely, etc. etc. It is decently smooth though. But man oh man the god-awful moan of those things pushing around those heavy *** cruisers. I can't unhear it.

the UZ lasts a long time and achieves great performance/efficiency, the ford engine just lasts a long time by being highly unoptimized lol... not from being meticulously obsessed over by passionate top level engineers
100% agreed. I haven't really disagreed with anything you've said. I will also defend classic LS to the point of absurdity. Ford engine isn't anywhere close. But, those old V8s will last forever and can take lots of abuse.
Old 03-06-24, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A Bentley would probably be a lot more at home in some certain parts of D.C., like in Embassy Row.

Without getting into excessive stereotyping, I'd wager that a lot of people in WV have never even seen a Bentley, much less ride in one or drive one. Even in my neck of the woods (Northern VA/D.C. suburbs), while a few here and there, they aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

I only got a chance to drive a Rolls Royce once in my life.......a classic right-hand-drive '57 model. Don't have time here to go into all the details.
Old 03-06-24, 06:42 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Ford was interesting in how they were the first of the domestics to really abandon OHV V8's(at least until the 7.3 godzilla came out), but they waited 15 years to really go all the way into DOHC 4 valve/cylinder engines. They stuck with SOHC and 2 or 3 valve for the longest time, outside of the special projects.

Old 03-06-24, 06:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Ford was interesting in how they were the first of the domestics to really abandon OHV V8's(at least until the 7.3 godzilla came out), but they waited 15 years to really go all the way into DOHC 4 valve/cylinder engines. They stuck with SOHC and 2 or 3 valve for the longest time, outside of the special projects.
The thing is, the old 4.9 pushrod had great torque. 300lb/ft. That was a serious number back in the late 80s. I bet Mustang 5.0s were an absolute hoot to drive with big displacement and that much torque. 225hp wasn't that great but it was okay, good for late 80s. The 5.0 (4.9 lol) also went into the Mark 7 and was plenty satisfactory for the upscale car.

Also, I think the starter of a Fox 5.0 is the most dubbed-in engine in history into tv shows and movies.
Old 03-06-24, 08:37 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
also it was from the 2nd gen explorer's V6 that i first saw the use of 'jackshaft' or 'timing cassette' about an overhead cam engine, from what i can tell i'm pretty sure they just lazily converted an OHV engine to use camshafts lol
Old 03-06-24, 08:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

also it was from the 2nd gen explorer's V6 that i first saw the use of 'jackshaft' or 'timing cassette' about an overhead cam engine, from what i can tell i'm pretty sure they just lazily converted an OHV engine to use camshafts lol
Beyond lazy. That engine is junk of the highest order, on par with the NorthStar.
Old 03-06-24, 09:36 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Beyond lazy. That engine is junk of the highest order, on par with the NorthStar.
i'm gonna say something bordering on praise here, but only because i've personally seen that engine undergo crazy abuse and still keep going without even a minor catastrophe lol

years ago a friend of mine 'inherited' a 1999 explorer with like 200k miles, he drove THE CRAP out of that thing for almost 2 years... routinely and frequently reaching 4000+ rpm, thrashing around on the beach, doing pizza deliveries, etc... and it ran just as badly by the time the car finally rolled over as it ran when he first got it!

but in every real regard yes a thoroughly disappointing engine haha
Old 03-06-24, 09:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't understand this post. Could you explain it another way please?
Meaning if I got a Bentley it would be my primary car, I would have to drive it everywhere. I don’t want to drive around in something that stands out to that degree all the time.
Old 03-06-24, 09:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
This isn’t true. I had a second gen Explorer with the German made OHV V6 and it was actually a very stout motor without many common issues.

We owned that for 225,000 miles and 20 years and never had any issues with the engine. Issues with trans and other problems were common.l but that motor is stout. Nothing like the Northstar in any way

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1