Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 01:26 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

She probably drives 55 in the hammer lane.
Old 03-12-24, 01:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
She probably drives 55 in the hammer lane.
I don't even care for that and I'm half her age, not really a Camaro person. I'm sure it's a hoot though. But first we'd have to do something about that paint job, eeeew.
Old 03-12-24, 02:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Been taking lots of Uber rides this time in the UK. The Toyota Auris is a hit here with Ubers and taxis. No complaints. Had a ride tonight in a Skoda Superb (very much like a VW Passat). It's so much fun to see and ride in cars we don't have in the US.
Old 03-12-24, 02:45 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Just read from 2 pretty credible sources I follow on Twitter that Jaguar is about to be sold by TaTa..
I saw the original source and there's nothing to indicate that it's being sold off. We've known for months though that the dealerships were getting pared down because of Jaguar's supposed new "ultra luxury" low-volume plan.
Old 03-12-24, 02:48 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Been taking lots of Uber rides this time in the UK. The Toyota Auris is a hit here with Ubers and taxis. No complaints. Had a ride tonight in a Skoda Superb (very much like a VW Passat). It's so much fun to see and ride in cars we don't have in the US.
i seriously enjoyed that Renault Clio i rented in france! the small manual hatchback needs to be more prevalent here
Old 03-12-24, 02:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i seriously enjoyed that Renault Clio i rented in france! the small manual hatchback needs to be more prevalent here
In the 90s I had a Clio manual in France. Remarkably fun. It's amazing to me just how much fun I've had even with my rental Nissan Qashqai here. Small turbo 4 with a manual in a light weight package is fun. I hope to be back in the not too distant future and can't wait to see what I get next time.

It makes me miss driving a manual so much...
Old 03-13-24, 05:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

nice. whereabouts in the uk? i'll be heading across the pond soon to see my mom (mum ), fam, and friends not far from Gatwick airport (where i grew up).

about the cars, i'd NEVER own a car with a stupid name like "Superb"

Originally Posted by Stroock639
In the 90s I had a Clio manual in France. Remarkably fun. It's amazing to me just how much fun I've had even with my rental Nissan Qashqai here. Small turbo 4 with a manual in a light weight package is fun. I hope to be back in the not too distant future and can't wait to see what I get next time.

i've driven a lot of stick rentals in europe, but this time decided to go auto cuz i'll be in a busier area. but man, driving in a place like scotland or ireland with a stick is a blast.

Old 03-13-24, 05:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice. whereabouts in the uk? i'll be heading across the pond soon to see my mom (mum ), fam, and friends not far from Gatwick airport (where i grew up).

I'm in Southampton. Heading home tomorrow.

i've driven a lot of stick rentals in europe, but this time decided to go auto cuz i'll be in a busier area. but man, driving in a place like scotland or ireland with a stick is a blast.
Each time I am here, I always want to rush home and buy a manual again.
Old 03-13-24, 08:00 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Superb lol. Skodas are Czech cars. A name like Superb is a tough one idiomatically. Skoda does make some nice looking wagons. The Czech grasp of English is not as strong as that of the Germans or Dutch, so you can see some street signs that bring a smile. It is nice that the Czechs are pretty American friendly and especially in Plzén. Modified cars are few and far between, but I see so much potential in the wagons.
Old 03-13-24, 08:24 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Car & Driver has a whole article about it from a week ago and my Land Rover dealer said the same thing. Their sister Jaguar dealership down the street will stay open but not the other one in the metro area. Jaguar Ending Production of Gas Cars Entirely before New EVs Arrive (caranddriver.com)
I didn’t realize there were any standalone Jaguar dealerships in US. Here in Memphis they’ve shared a dealership with Land Rover for decades, in fact they used to be called “Bluff City British cars” back in the 80s.
Old 03-13-24, 01:08 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

i started to miss the Clio as soon as i had to give it back lmao

my exact words to the girl behind the rental car counter were i want something small, manual, and french, s'il vous plaît... and she goes uhhh i have le Renault Clio? OUI! Renault Clio!! compared to the comparable offerings from Peugeot and Citroen i remember Top Gear always saying the Clio was the most fun, so it was actually what i was hoping for the entire time

i'm proud to say i didn't stall it once, until i got back to the parking garage and started having some trouble with the french instructions for opening the gate lmao... i forget what i'm doing when all of a sudden clunk and there's the unmistakable feeling of a shuddering engine turning off

one of these cars would be great for strictly local driving, but once you get up to speed the lack of power becomes much more apparent as you lose the lightness advantage
Old 03-13-24, 01:11 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i suppose you feel a name like that is taking the ****? or is it taking the mickey?

also the only things i know about gatwick are it's an airport, and James May hates gatwick
Old 03-13-24, 02:00 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

There's very few cars that Europe gets that I wish we had nowadays, I must admit. The Alpine A110 I drove last month was simply wonderful though - I'd buy that over a Porsche Cayman any day.
Old 03-13-24, 02:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

The Mercedes has stalled twice in traffic idling, but starts right back up. CEL light came on just a while ago.

It was just at the dealer yesterday for service. I read the code it's an evap leak, but I didn't clear it since dealer is taking it back tomorrow.

Dealer did something while servicing it, this exact same thing happened on my LS430. Evap hose loose.

The car has not hiccuped once, nothing, zip... then it stalls and throws a code after a dealer visit?

Old 03-13-24, 03:00 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
There's very few cars that Europe gets that I wish we had nowadays, I must admit. The Alpine A110 I drove last month was simply wonderful though - I'd buy that over a Porsche Cayman any day.
well yea most of them just feel out of place on an american interstate, but for a drive where you'd never be exceeding like 45 mph it makes much more sense to have a small car with a similarly small engine

i'd love to drive the A110 btw! my automotive hero Gordon Murray has one, as does James May! Gordon's only complaint (and he's amazing at finding fault with just about anything haha) was the steering wheel is too thick, to the point that a tall guy like him couldn't even close his hand... and as someone who's main car has been an LS 400 for 13 years i'm inclined to prefer the thinner steering wheel as well lol

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1