Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 02:47 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
nice scorecard @geko29
This genuinely made me chuckle, so thank you.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When it comes to a vehicle that old, something like that can leave you stranded at any time.
I don't disagree at all, but the irony of my personal experience is that 3 of the 4 occurred during the factory warranty period. The Chrysler was the only exception, at around the 8 year mark.
Old 03-14-24, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I don't disagree at all, but the irony of my personal experience is that 3 of the 4 occurred during the factory warranty period. The Chrysler was the only exception, at around the 8 year mark.
My wife's Prius left her stranded during the factory warranty too!
Old 03-14-24, 05:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

When it comes to a vehicle that old, something like that can leave you stranded at any time.
Oh yeah, I do assume that lol.

This is where Lexus (old Lexus at least) starts to win back points lol. My spouse fried the alternator by jumping incorrectly in the LX and was stranded once but I don't hold that against it..

The only car that's never stranded me or even broken down for that matter is..... the LS430.

It's every bit as solid as the LX, maybe even more believe it or not... it's just not designed to live its life driving through muck.
Old 03-14-24, 05:29 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Okay..........

WTFFFFFFF are the odds of this????!??

Mercedes needs a crankshaft sensor and there's a small evap leak a gas cap that should fix it according to them to fix the CEL. It stranded my spouse last night but I got it started. Pretty sure I updated my thread.

Here's where the odd thing comes in.

TODAY the 2022 Yukon started going haywire as I was on the interstate, then stranded me. Nothing dangerous, it just started slowing down, easy to pull over at least.

TWO DAYS in a row I've been stranded. The battery was bad in the Yukon, these damn complicated cars, and it made everything go haywire. Running boards stopped working and everything. I realllllllly missed my key and column shifter you just feel helpless with nothing analog to use to help/diagnose/fix. They couldn't get it into neutral so they had to drag it up onto the flatbed. So it's good it was just a crappy battery but today has been interesting let's just say!
That sucks and they absolutely screwed that up with the GM, there is a manual release for that trans. A pain to get to and doesn't have a pull lever inside the car like ZF8 cars but it does exist.....

Or they could have ran power to get the engine on long enough to allow a gear change.

Crank sensor is very typical on any M113/2 engine, that's good that's all it was but I'm surprised they didn't check that or the car throw a code for it.
Old 03-14-24, 05:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You should have drove one of your Toyota Motor Company products. You wouldn’t have been stranded
The only personal cars I've ever had to tow have all been Toyota/Lexus, and every single one I've owned has stranded me on some level.......

On the other hand my Chryslers have been literally perfect and always carried though no matter the issues.
Old 03-14-24, 05:39 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
That sucks and they absolutely screwed that up with the GM, there is a manual release for that trans. A pain to get to and doesn't have a pull lever inside the car like ZF8 cars but it does exist.....

Or they could have ran power to get the engine on long enough to allow a gear change.

Crank sensor is very typical on any M113/2 engine, that's good that's all it was but I'm surprised they didn't check that or the car throw a code for it.
Welcome to used German car ownership lol. Not that I bought the car for flashiness, but oh you're paying to have a Mercedes that makes people make hearts with their hands out the window lol. That will cost you. My guy also said a crank sensor is "not abnormal at all."
Old 03-14-24, 05:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome to used German car ownership lol. Not that I bought the car for flashiness, but oh you're paying to have a Mercedes that makes people make hearts with their hands out the window lol. That will cost you. My guy also said a crank sensor is "not abnormal at all."
‘your car is 22 years. I would expect repairs at this point

The only personal cars I've ever had to tow have all been Toyota/Lexus, and every single one I've owned has stranded me on some level.......

On the other hand my Chryslers have been literally perfect and always carried though no matter the issues.
my sister and I were stranded in her BMW. Twice in Savannah Georgia

A friend of mine his Hemi RAM truck, his engines seized on him. Then he bought a diesel.

my brother has a BMW, never left him stranded but a ton of small problems puts it in the shop constantly. His is diesel
Old 03-14-24, 06:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Also let me add that pulling over on an interstate is (obviously) dangerous... I got my *** right out of the car and off the asphalt into the grass when I realized there was nothing I could do and just had to wait. I've seen so many wrecks where pulled over vehicles get hit.
Old 03-14-24, 06:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Also let me add that pulling over on an interstate is (obviously) dangerous... I got my *** right out of the car and off the asphalt into the grass when I realized there was nothing I could do and just had to wait. I've seen so many wrecks where pulled over vehicles get hit.
The theory and idea behind run flats is that you don’t have to pull over on the side of the road. (I know you didn’t have a flat)
Old 03-14-24, 06:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

The theory and idea behind run flats is that you don’t have to pull over on the side of the road. (I know you didn’t have a flat)
Sure, but I'm talking about this kind of stuff. You'd be dead and not know what ever hit you. I took my *** up off the road and into the grass today lol.

Old 03-14-24, 06:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Sure, but I'm talking about this kind of stuff. You'd be dead and not know what ever hit you. I took my *** up off the road and into the grass today lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBVUyMuQnWY
Yes. And that is the whole idea behind the run flat.
Old 03-14-24, 07:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Yes. And that is the whole idea behind the run flat.
Uh no. Run flats have nothing to do with how far you pull off the road when the car can't move anymore
Old 03-14-24, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Uh no. Run flats have nothing to do with how far you pull off the road when the car can't move anymore
The whole idea of a run flat is to allow the driver off the highway in the event of a flat tire. this was the driver doesn’t have to exit the vehicle. I wasn’t referring to a mechanical breakdown
Old 03-14-24, 07:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The whole idea of a run flat is to allow the driver off the highway in the event of a flat tire. this was the driver doesn’t have to exit the vehicle. I wasn’t referring to a mechanical breakdown
We are talking about mechanical breakdowns
Old 03-14-24, 07:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Speaking of Mercedes there is a ML55 for sale near me that is temping, holdup is the tires are insanely large/expensive for these. How/why the hell does a midsize suv have such crazy oversize tires?

I mean if it actually handled somewhat well I maybe would excuse it but 285s and still a boat? Why? It's not even all that heavy or low profile sidewalls, just confusing to me I guess and I'm not sure I can live with tires that pricy on a beater.

Last edited by Striker223; 03-14-24 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1