Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 08:01 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I mean if it actually handled somewhat well I maybe would excuse it but 285s and still a boat? Why? It's not even all that heavy or low profile sidewalls, just confusing to me I guess and I'm not sure I can live with tires that pricy on a beater.
How much money are we talking?
Old 03-14-24, 08:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

How/why the hell does a midsize suv have such crazy oversize tires?.
cuz its a German car. They are expensive to run.
Old 03-14-24, 08:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
How much money are we talking?
Stupid amounts like $1800-2400, I'm fine paying that for a fast car but not a brick of an SUV with a somewhat powerful engine lol!

Sucks since the rest of the parts are fairly inline with the Jeep for costs, brakes all the way around are $215 and it has fixed calipers up front etc....nothing alarming needed other than the 16 spark plugs. Everything I saw consumables wise is cheap enough to be compared to domestics and much cheaper than Lexus other than the tire size. Spare transmissions for example are $600-800 for a sub 100k mile unit and a conductor plate and fluid change is under $250.

It's a cool car but I hate expensive tires on non-performance vehicles
Old 03-14-24, 08:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
cuz its a German car. They are expensive to run.
That's not true in this case, it's actually cheaper than the RXs I had parts wise. It's only the tires that are out of line with the rest of the costs due to the insane size
Old 03-14-24, 08:21 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Stupid amounts like $1800-2400, I'm fine paying that for a fast car but not a brick of an SUV with a somewhat powerful engine lol!
Yikes, yeah that's a little steep.

If they were under $1k for a full set and you could get 30-40k miles out of them, cool.

That's clipping your wallet for two thousand dollars if that car you're looking at has tires run down to the tread bar. Haha
Old 03-14-24, 08:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's not true in this case, it's actually cheaper than the RXs I had parts wise. It's only the tires that are out of line with the rest of the costs due to the insane size
the tires are more expensive in the Mercedes. The fuel is drastically more in the Mercedes. The Lexus I think has a timing belt, so that is a drawback.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-14-24 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-14-24, 08:54 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

the tires are more expensive in the Mercedes. The fuel is drastically more in the Mercedes. The Lexus I think has a timing belt, so that is a drawback.

My RXs never got more than 19 average so it's not gonna be enough for me to care. The fact the engine in the ML points the right way is a big selling point for me lol! The sideways RX engine is a pain to work on....plus the cars you linked are totally different generations vs what I had/am considering and that 4.7 is so much more powerful than any Lexus engine ever it's not a fair comparison.

Only reason I'm even looking is because I want to go back to a BOF vehicle and I like the M113 engine a lot
Old 03-14-24, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

The only personal cars I've ever had to tow have all been Toyota/Lexus, and every single one I've owned has stranded me on some level.......
On the other hand my Chryslers have been literally perfect and always carried though no matter the issues.
oh the irony that this is completely the opposite of so called 'reliability surveys' (with toyota/lexus on top and chrysler dead last)

my sister and I were stranded in her BMW. Twice in Savannah Georgia
sounds like savannah is trying to send a message.

It's only the tires that are out of line with the rest of the costs due to the insane size
bmw and mercedes both use larger tires the competing vehicles... i think part is for looks, part is traction. and ml55 has a lot of grunt.
Old 03-14-24, 09:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oh the irony that this is completely the opposite of so called 'reliability surveys' (with toyota/lexus on top and chrysler dead last)

bmw and mercedes both use larger tires the competing vehicles... i think part is for looks, part is traction. and ml55 has a lot of grunt.
If it's for looks I guess I understand being an AMG and all but damn it seems excessive at times. Even the ML320 has freaking 255s!

Yeah I swear it's a curse, the 430 needed towed 3 separate times somehow! Walked out 4 times to it having eaten it's battery as well.....
The 460 blew a tire
Sequoia blew a tire and locked a caliper up
Totally the opposite of what "should" happen.

Meanwhile the 03 truck was bought new by my family and while my dad normally ditched cars after 60k he drove it 120k with zero issues and I put another 40k on it with also zero issues. He also had a 1st gen Durango and a 04 WJ that was maxed out and both also never had problems, his ML500 had to be towed out of the garage 3 times though. I still remember that for whatever reason but I don't remember much at all about the actual car.

My old Jeep was bought as a temp beater while I took the cab/bed off my truck for the build but I ended up keeping it with the mentality of "I'll sell it when it breaks"........124k miles and 10 years later it still refuses to actually break. I swear it's doing it out of spite now since it knows I won't get rid of it at this point since it's endeared itself to everyone in my family and friend group, everyone has driven him for a while or on off road trips for a segment etc. We've shot .50 BMGs out of the back and done countless drill out of it as well, hauled over 20 engines in it etc etc, and it's just been a unusually good car.

The Audis have been perfect other than that one freak rich code on the 4.0 from my mistake with the tune file.

Back to the ML55 an other reason I am considering one is because they are actually able to replace my Jeep in terms of function, they have comically good off road ability for their class and have all the other useful features I want in a work type vehicle. The front suspension also uses torsion beam springs and I find that nifty since my truck also uses those.

Last edited by Striker223; 03-14-24 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-14-24, 11:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Only thing about the W163 is there’s not a lot of suspension travel. Otherwise yes, quite durable vehicles with more off road capability than usual. I don’t love that the ML55’s spare is in the cabin.
Old 03-15-24, 05:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the awful heat.

My RXs never got more than 19 average so it's not gonna be enough for me to care. The fact the engine in the ML points the right way is a big selling point for me lol! The sideways RX engine is a pain to work on....plus the cars you linked are totally different generations vs what I had/am considering and that 4.7 is so much more powerful than any Lexus engine ever it's not a fair comparison.t
I get all that. But the ML55 will be significantly more costly to run. That is what I was referring to earlier

Only reason I'm even looking is because I want to go back to a BOF vehicle and I like the M113 engine a lo
Doesn’t rely on turbos. I read that the M113 is one of the better Mercedes engines

Old 03-15-24, 05:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by link13
Superb lol. Skodas are Czech cars.
skoda is now part of vw.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm in Southampton. Heading home tomorrow.
nice. that's where the cruise liners head out from.

Each time I am here, I always want to rush home and buy a manual again.
ha, yes i get the temptation. then you drive on american roads... not the same, although i had a blast in my 2007 miata here, even in florida, on back curvy roads.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i suppose you feel a name like that is taking the ****? or is it taking the mickey?
not really... it's to make the proles think they're driving something a 'step above' (superb, lol).​

also the only things i know about gatwick are it's an airport, and James May hates gatwick
haha... it's a smaller airport for london on the south side, but it's not bad at all. heathrow is humongous on the west side.
Old 03-15-24, 05:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the awful heat.
i prefer to the 'awful' cold.

at least i don't have to put on hat, gloves, coat, sweater, scarf etc. to go out.
Old 03-15-24, 06:28 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RX 350 has had a timing chain since 2007. My 2007 averaged about 20 Mpg mostly city/suburb driving

i prefer to the 'awful' cold.
Yes 100%! I suffer from raynauds syndrome, I’ll take the heat anytime over the awful cold.
Old 03-15-24, 09:49 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The only personal cars I've ever had to tow have all been Toyota/Lexus, and every single one I've owned has stranded me on some level.......

On the other hand my Chryslers have been literally perfect and always carried though no matter the issues.
My AE86 left me stuck once. Once. I was headed south on I95 at 75 mph and the car just died. I got it to the shoulder. I hoofed it to a pay phone and called my Dad. I was 27 and my parents were in Richmond. We tugged the car into a Golden Corral parking lot. I told my brother something hit my left foot right before the car crapped out. My brother is a smart guy. He assumed that the kill switch the previous owner put in is what hit me in the foot. He was right. A $.79 butt connector got the car back on the road.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1