Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 12:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I want high-end-Bordello amounts of wood in my cars, lol. Can't get enough. Leather either. LS430 is 20 years old and it still smells nice inside from the leather.
Old 03-19-24, 12:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I want high-end-Bordello amounts of wood in my cars, lol. Can't get enough. Leather either. LS430 is 20 years old and it still smells nice inside from the leather.
I really don’t care for wood in cars anymore.
Old 03-19-24, 12:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I really don’t care for wood in cars anymore.
Psssh. Suit yourself! (jk with the tone)
Old 03-19-24, 03:38 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

My 1994 GS300 still smelled nice inside when I sold it in 2015. It's a nice bonus.
Old 03-19-24, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Were you around when we had REAL bordello interiors in luxury American cars from the 70s? Perhaps the most classic examples were some of the Cadillacs of the mid-70s.

Old 03-19-24, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Ugh, I can smell that from here lol

So, an opportunity has kind of presented itself to me with an S580. There is a leftover 2023 down near VA Beach that is a spec I like, mostly. It has the 21 inch wheels which I would need to replace with 20s. That should be cost neutral but a PITA. Definitely would not want the 21s for ride and people have a lot of issues with flats. It also has the night package which isn't my preference, but I actually think it looks good here.

The 2023 is about $5,000 cheaper than the 24, and I could get ~ $13,000 off of this and then American Express actually has a $10k rebate for 2023 S Classes, that would bring the total off to $23,000. My issues are, I still have issues with the interior of these cars, and the refresh is coming. However, this would be dramatically cheaper than what the refresh car would cost. Also I still like what I have and also like the 7 Series...but under these numbers this comes out to about $100 a month more than my car, and the refresh car if I liked that would be $800 mote probably. This is the car:

Old 03-19-24, 07:54 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So, an opportunity has kind of presented itself to me with an S580. There is a leftover 2023 down near VA Beach that is a spec I like, mostly. It has the 21 inch wheels which I would need to replace with 20s. That should be cost neutral but a PITA. Definitely would not want the 21s for ride and people have a lot of issues with flats. It also has the night package which isn't my preference, but I actually think it looks good here.

The 2023 is about $5,000 cheaper than the 24, and I could get ~ $13,000 off of this and then American Express actually has a $10k rebate for 2023 S Classes, that would bring the total off to $23,000. My issues are, I still have issues with the interior of these cars, and the refresh is coming. However, this would be dramatically cheaper than what the refresh car would cost. Also I still like what I have and also like the 7 Series...but under these numbers this comes out to about $100 a month more than my car, and the refresh car if I liked that would be $800 mote probably. This is the car:
Wow that’s a good deal. With the current interest rates/money factor these days I can’t even come close to the lease deal I currently have. That color looks pretty awesome/different too. The only issue is you said you don’t care for the interior design and you said they cut corners on the interior quality so it seems you are only looking at it because it’s an S-class. I would wait for the refresh to see what they improved on but that’s just me.

For example, I looked at the new X7 and I just don’t like the exterior or interior as much as the pre-refresh and mine actually has some better things than the refresh so I have no desire to “upgrade” to a newer model. Tempting yes, but not enough for me to change. I would rather try something else right now or keep what I have for one more year.

Also, how does Amex give you such a good rebate? I have a corporate Amex, would I qualify?
Old 03-19-24, 07:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Ugh, I can smell that from here lol

‘I bet once you get used to the new screens. You won’t look back. Plus it will still be a V8 with more power
Old 03-19-24, 08:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Wow that’s a good deal. With the current interest rates/money factor these days I can’t even come close to the lease deal I currently have. That color looks pretty awesome/different too. The only issue is you said you don’t care for the interior design and you said they cut corners on the interior quality so it seems you are only looking at it because it’s an S-class. I would wait for the refresh to see what they improved on but that’s just me.

For example, I looked at the new X7 and I just don’t like the exterior or interior as much as the pre-refresh and mine actually has some better things than the refresh so I have no desire to “upgrade” to a newer model. Tempting yes, but not enough for me to change. I would rather try something else right now or keep what I have for one more year.
Thats my problem, I can't come close to where I'm at. I do have issues with some of the design decisions they made but I do like the car, I just like some things about mine more. I love that color.

I do kind of want a new car, but this car is so great it holds me back. The other side of it is I already bought a warranty for $3,200 (which I can get refunded) and its about to have to go in for the 50k service which will be $2,500 or so, then I will have to buy it out in late summer. I don't see me keeping it more than another year, so I could wait to see the refresh and give it some time to maybe swing a deal but its still going to cost a lot more than this. So, from a long term situation if does make sense for me to do something sooner rather than later.

Really the smart thing is to buy this at the end of the lease for $45k and keep it...but I know I'm going to want something new.

Also, how does Amex give you such a good rebate? I have a corporate Amex, would I qualify?
So I had no idea either! Thats what made me look into this. Apparently they do have MB rebates, and right now its $10,000 on 23 S Classes and some other 23 models, and its $500 on 24 models. I think all AMEX customers qualify so I bet you would too. So right now on 23 S Classes they have a $10k rebate, then I can probably negotiate $6k off, then the $10k AMEX rebate its really $26k off.

Without that $10k AMEX rebate its not so great a deal, I feel confident I can get 10% off of an S Class anytime, I think I could get that off of a 24 now.
Old 03-19-24, 08:15 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
First time a drove a MK4 I was severely underwhelmed, it's just another 90s sports car with the "loose" feel and not nearly as solid or fast as I was lead to believe. Built is better, obviously but stock examples are a lot of hype vs modern cars IMO

Sorta like a C5 vette on paper vs actually driving one. I've had many "don't meet your heros" moments with cars at this point....irony is the ones that people say are overpriced or horrible to own are some of the best I've driven
Originally Posted by patgilm
I live BBS LM wheels, they make any car look good to me.

You can’t compare a current car to a car of that era, a high 12 second car was fast back then but there are so many daily driven cars that are that fast these days. Heck my X7 is that fast. Regardless, I loved my MKIV and regret selling it but you are right, I was a wet noodle with the targa top off (but was awesome driving with it off) and the creaks and rattles were bad. Still one of my favorite cars I’ve owned.
Originally Posted by Striker223
You know maybe I need to try a coupe....you basically discribed exactly how the one I drove felt lol!

The 2nd turbo hit actually makes it feel more like what it's talked up to be but I was expecting that from zero not it to feel weak until then. The car is also not as well isolated so it may "feel" and sound fast but the rate the sped climbs isn't as insane as I was lead to believe. Sorta like the WS6 I just had in, felt WAY faster than it actually was on timer.

Polar opposite of my cars I guess, mine don't feel like much is happening while going low/high 3 secs to 60 and sub 12s
The MK4 in its stock form didn’t have the torque you expected from it like the old school WS6 which would be similar to the torque I felt in my C7 Z06. But a modded MK4 can make some serious power and torque.
Old 03-19-24, 10:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

. This is the car:

I haven't posted pics or thoughts yet but I spent a lot of time in the W223 while my car was being serviced last week. The interior of that is a letdown, bad compared to W222. All the pics are on my phone. But the wood trim was hollow when I tapped it, and I think a 1993 Camry's doors close and feel heftier. The stupid center vents (why change from what they had...Bentley-like) feel reallllly cheap. It was very comfortable though.

I would never, everrrrr get rid of a W222 if I had one. I definitely see what you and others were saying about cost cutting.
Old 03-19-24, 11:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Yeah it's really bad when your dealer has a W222 Maybach and W223 version right next to each other. The W223 looks better in pictures and is flashier but wow I quickly discovered what people meant when they said quality went down for bling.....but hey I guess that is what sells, that and more screen and lights lol!
Old 03-19-24, 11:31 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The interior of the W223 will be such a hard sell when it's right across the showroom from the much better new E-Class interior.
Old 03-19-24, 11:41 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

I haven't posted pics or thoughts yet but I spent a lot of time in the W223 while my car was being serviced last week. The interior of that is a letdown, bad compared to W222. All the pics are on my phone. But the wood trim was hollow when I tapped it, and I think a 1993 Camry's doors close and feel heftier. The stupid center vents (why change from what they had...Bentley-like) feel reallllly cheap. It was very comfortable though.
From your witness of the car, does it feel like $100k+ to you?

Old 03-20-24, 12:28 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
From your witness of the car, does it feel like $100k+ to you?
Yes, but modern 100k is only about 60-70k now.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1