Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 03:35 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
The MK4 in its stock form didn’t have the torque you expected from it like the old school WS6 which would be similar to the torque I felt in my C7 Z06. But a modded MK4 can make some serious power and torque.
I liked the sequential turbo system of the MKIV and with a downpipe and boost controller it was great. When upgrading to a large single turbo system yes it makes great hp and torque and it has great top end which is great for roll racing but the turbo lag is terrible compared to today’s cars.
Old 03-20-24, 03:39 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I haven't posted pics or thoughts yet but I spent a lot of time in the W223 while my car was being serviced last week. The interior of that is a letdown, bad compared to W222. All the pics are on my phone. But the wood trim was hollow when I tapped it, and I think a 1993 Camry's doors close and feel heftier. The stupid center vents (why change from what they had...Bentley-like) feel reallllly cheap. It was very comfortable though.

I would never, everrrrr get rid of a W222 if I had one. I definitely see what you and others were saying about cost cutting.
I know you mentioned this before but when I was at the MB dealership a few weeks ago test driving an SUV there I looked at some of the cars in the showroom and couldn’t believe the orange peel in the new paint jobs. It was surprisingly bad. I haven’t seen paint like this in other Tier 1 brands so it was surprising.
Old 03-20-24, 03:46 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I know you mentioned this before but when I was at the MB dealership a few weeks ago test driving an SUV there I looked at some of the cars in the showroom and couldn’t believe the orange peel in the new paint jobs. It was surprisingly bad. I haven’t seen paint like this in other Tier 1 brands so it was surprising.
Throttle House noticed the same thing on the SL63 they reviewed. They said it might be the worst paint job they've ever seen, and certainly the worst on a $100k+ car.

Another interesting thing from that review was Thomas' question "Isn't this the Lexus LC Competitor?" Kind of illustrates what an achievement the LC is, when at least in some contexts it is the standard that others--including the originator of the segment--are compared to.

Last edited by geko29; 03-20-24 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-20-24, 05:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

steve, the s-class is a beautiful color, and beautiful car, oh and keep the rims, haha.

Old 03-20-24, 06:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

english boomer doesn't like new i5 haha

Old 03-20-24, 06:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

it also shows that a shared ev/ice platform is absurd. the front hood is enormous with no frunk and not much under the enormous plastic cover.

and i'm amazed how much ugly shiny plastic there is inside and outside.
Old 03-20-24, 07:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it also shows that a shared ev/ice platform is absurd..
The development costs are lower for a shared EV/ICE platform. Also manufacturing as well.
Old 03-20-24, 07:34 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

A shared ICE/EV platform is absurd. It seems like such a bad compromise. I think that's why the new Charger/Challenger is so odd looking to me.

Either be a full ICE or a full EV.
Old 03-20-24, 07:39 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Eh, I'm just not a fan of cloth at all, and I question how it will wear
My experience cloth wears better and lasts longer than leather, it does stain and absorb odors, but if you take care of it and don’t treat it like a paper towel it should look new for a very long time and look good too. Leather creases, wrinkles and cracks with age and UV exposure.

I do like the nice wool that Volvo is putting in their new cars, and in JDM luxury Toyotas, but I question the breathability in warmer months.
Old 03-20-24, 07:56 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

steve, the s-class is a beautiful color, and beautiful car, oh and keep the rims, haha.
Not if you wanna deal with a flat tire and bent wheel every time you hit a pothole. Alex on autos mentioned even with the Airmatic the 21 inch wheels react sharply to large bumps.
Old 03-20-24, 08:01 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Not if you wanna deal with a flat tire and bent wheel every time you hit a pothole. Alex on autos mentioned even with the Airmatic the 21 inch wheels react sharply to large bumps.
Yea 20's and above wheel/tire combos are just crazy to me. Flat tire/bent wheels a couple time a year. No thanks.

I'm riding around on 19's for the first time ever and I'm nervous as hell lol. This may sound blasphemous to some other IS 500 owners but I would absolutely run a 18" square setup on this car.
Old 03-20-24, 08:39 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

It’s not about the size of the wheel so much as how much sidewall you have. My 245/40R18 tires have about 98 mm of sidewall. And your IS 500 probably has less than 90 mm so you gotta be careful out there.
Old 03-20-24, 08:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Yea 20's and above wheel/tire combos are just crazy to me. Flat tire/bent wheels a couple time a year. No thanks.

I'm riding around on 19's for the first time ever and I'm nervous as hell lol. This may sound blasphemous to some other IS 500 owners but I would absolutely run a 18" square setup on this car.
Wheel diameter is only one variable.

Your 19s only have a third of an inch less sidewall than the base 17s that came on my E90--3.7" vs. 4". Same sidewall as the 18s it runs in the summer.

By contrast, the 21s on our Q7 have an inch more sidewall than your 19s. 4.6"
Old 03-20-24, 08:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I haven't posted pics or thoughts yet but I spent a lot of time in the W223 while my car was being serviced last week. The interior of that is a letdown, bad compared to W222. All the pics are on my phone. But the wood trim was hollow when I tapped it, and I think a 1993 Camry's doors close and feel heftier. The stupid center vents (why change from what they had...Bentley-like) feel reallllly cheap. It was very comfortable though.

I would never, everrrrr get rid of a W222 if I had one. I definitely see what you and others were saying about cost cutting.
You're not wrong, all of those things are true, except the doors I didn't feel that. My hope is that those things will be improved with the refresh.

For me, I just don't see myself keeping a car a long time. I already have the itch somewhat now, in a year its going to be a rash and I'm going to want something else.

Originally Posted by Motorola
The interior of the W223 will be such a hard sell when it's right across the showroom from the much better new E-Class interior.
Thats why I'm thinking the refresh will be a big improvement.

I love the look of the rims, but the ride is a big issue for me. I would go to 20s:

Originally Posted by Carfan94
My experience cloth wears better and lasts longer than leather, it does stain and absorb odors, but if you take care of it and don’t treat it like a paper towel it should look new for a very long time and look good too. Leather creases, wrinkles and cracks with age and UV exposure.

I do like the nice wool that Volvo is putting in their new cars, and in JDM luxury Toyotas, but I question the breathability in warmer months.
Its actually cashmere though...
Old 03-20-24, 08:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

It totally depends on the tire size, my 19s have 40 series tires and they have plenty of sidewall:

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1