Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 11:48 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lee Iacocca famously said in those commercials back in the 80s “If you can find a better car! Buy it!” Um okay, yes I will!
Old 03-21-24, 11:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Lee Iacocca famously said in those commercials back in the 80s “If you can find a better car! Buy it!” Um okay, yes I will!
Kinda puts into perspective.... back then those cars were absolute junk. Most cars were back then, we are nostalgic...I REALLLLLY am. Like I said dude with the K car couldn't turn the A/C on bc the car struggled to maintain speed.

However the high end cars back then were epic, W126 for example.
Old 03-21-24, 11:55 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
We had a variety of K cars in our fleet where I worked, and they were indeed terrible. Our fleet manager only ought them for about 1 1/2 model years before getting rid of them. They were nothing but problems with major mechanical failures. I had a Dodge 600 for a year or so before it went away.
They were also very popular with the "buy here, pay here" car lots.

I must've seen a million of them driving around.

Slight exaggeration but they were everywhere spawning like orcs. Haha
Old 03-21-24, 01:40 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was born in 1994. So I haven’t seen very many in my life. Much better cars around in the 80s the Accord, Camry, Mazda 626……
Old 03-21-24, 01:44 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
We had a variety of K cars in our fleet where I worked, and they were indeed terrible. Our fleet manager only ought them for about 1 1/2 model years before getting rid of them. They were nothing but problems with major mechanical failures. I had a Dodge 600 for a year or so before it went away.
My buddy always preferred that we took my ‘72 Fiat 124 sedan than the K car. The Fiat was more reliable, believe it or don’t lol.

For fleets, I worked for a rental car company in the 90s. Mostly bad cars, but the 1993 Cavaliers were the worst. If people were abusive or just jerks, I would punish them with a Cavalier. It would be there with a Corolla or two. Sorry, sir, but those cars are both reserved. They weren’t. We actually didn’t hold cars even if they were reserved, which was lame and led to some understandably frustrated customers. There’s a Seinfeld episode with precisely this scenario. It’s funny because it’s true.
Old 03-21-24, 01:51 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
For fleets, I worked for a rental car company in the 90s. Mostly bad cars, but the 1993 Cavaliers were the worst. If people were abusive or just jerks, I would punish them with a Cavalier.
That's hilarious. Oddly enough though, I had a friend back in the day that had a Cavalier coupe (think his was a '94) that he took to something like 270k. Just standard maintenance, plus some of the expected stuff like starter/alternator, belts, muffler, etc over the years. Seemed a miracle at the time for a GM product.
Old 03-21-24, 02:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

My buddy always preferred that we took my ‘72 Fiat 124 sedan than the K car. The Fiat was more reliable, believe it or don’t lol.

For fleets, I worked for a rental car company in the 90s. Mostly bad cars, but the 1993 Cavaliers were the worst. If people were abusive or just jerks, I would punish them with a Cavalier. It would be there with a Corolla or two. Sorry, sir, but those cars are both reserved. They weren’t. We actually didn’t hold cars even if they were reserved, which was lame and led to some understandably frustrated customers. There’s a Seinfeld episode with precisely this scenario. It’s funny because it’s true.
"You know how to take the reservation. You just don't know how to hold the reservation."
Old 03-21-24, 05:26 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
"You know how to take the reservation. You just don't know how to hold the reservation."
Exactly. And that’s really the most important part of the reservation. The hold.
Old 03-21-24, 05:43 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

for fleets, i worked for a rental car company in the 90s. Mostly bad cars, but the 1993 cavaliers were the worst. If people were abusive or just jerks, i would punish them with a cavalier. It would be there with a corolla or two. Sorry, sir, but those cars are both reserved. They weren’t. We actually didn’t hold cars even if they were reserved, which was lame and led to some understandably frustrated customers. There’s a seinfeld episode with precisely this scenario. It’s funny because it’s true.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 03-21-24, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If this is the Seinfeld video you are refering to, I did a CL thread on it some time ago (can't remember if it was in Car Chat or Clubhouse).but I'll repost it here............

Old 03-21-24, 09:08 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I can't believe I'm considering this as my IS 500 is 3 weeks old but there's a super clean C55 AMG down in Florida. Thoughts?

An AMG that's pushing 20 years old? It only has 60k miles.

I really like the new GX too though. Maybe that would better a better decision.
as far as unnecessary fun car purchases go that's actually one of the least stupid ones you can buy lol

the quality of that era was still pretty good on the germany built cars, and the C55 is actually a surprisingly simple machine as far as no active suspension, or really any other electronic or mechanical trickery... just a C-class with a very solid (just comically big) engine and transmission, the only real "AMG" extra cost would be the extra fuel and brake parts can get a tad pricey, but a set of pads will last a LONG time under casual driving

i'd say don't bother though since the speed won't be impressive now that you have the IS 500! from a collector standpoint though i can honestly imagine clean examples of those early 00s AMGs becoming increasingly sought after, people see what's going on now with mercedes and realize what a special time it was to have those pretty cars available with such potent yet stout powertrains
Old 03-21-24, 09:15 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
K car! LOL!!!!
i'm scrolling up seeing everyone trash the 'K car', and thinking what do people have against the Kei car?! how can someone dislike the Autozam AZ-1, Honda Beat, or Suzuki Cappuccino... i had no idea we already had a 'K car' produced by one of our automakers lmao

yea that thing looks terrible, i'm sad i kept scrolling up
Old 03-21-24, 09:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'm scrolling up seeing everyone trash the 'K car', and thinking what do people have against the Kei car?! how can someone dislike the Autozam AZ-1, Honda Beat, or Suzuki Cappuccino... i had no idea we already had a 'K car' produced by one of our automakers lmao

yea that thing looks terrible, i'm sad i kept scrolling up
Now just imagine a little ****box like that weighing under 2100lb with a 400hp engine and manual trans. It feels like death but damn it's fast, my mentor had one like that and it's probably the scariest thing I've been in. You truly felt like you were in a tin can with uncontrolled power!

Oh great fuel economy too, low 30s not that it matters much when it felt like death is near at any speed over 40
Old 03-21-24, 09:33 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If this is the Seinfeld video you are refering to, I did a CL thread on it some time ago (can't remember if it was in Car Chat or Clubhouse).but I'll repost it here............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2GmGSNvaM

Yes, that’s the one. We also did the fake talk with the manager.
Old 03-21-24, 09:49 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Now just imagine a little ****box like that weighing under 2100lb with a 400hp engine and manual trans. It feels like death but damn it's fast, my mentor had one like that and it's probably the scariest thing I've been in. You truly felt like you were in a tin can with uncontrolled power!

Oh great fuel economy too, low 30s not that it matters much when it felt like death is near at any speed over 40
nearly 400 hp per ton is serious business haha, to be "as fast" a new RS 6 would need over 900 hp!

what was done to the engine? was it a swap? sounds like it'd constantly be smoking the front tires lmao

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1