Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 08:26 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Left church today and had a dead battery in the 540i. Got a ride home to grab my portable booster from my truck, then went back to jump it. The cables on the booster were too short to reach both the positive and negative remote terminals in the BMW, so I had to just get somebody to come jump me with their car instead. That was annoying.

Booster works fine for the truck though.
Old 04-01-24, 03:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

steve - congrats on the big vacation. hope you had a wonderful time. safe travels back to home today.
Old 04-01-24, 03:57 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Left church today and had a dead battery in the 540i. Got a ride home to grab my portable booster from my truck, then went back to jump it. The cables on the booster were too short to reach both the positive and negative remote terminals in the BMW, so I had to just get somebody to come jump me with their car instead. That was annoying.

I typically use a bolt on top of the strut tower for the negative. Looks like you have one at the end of the brace about 8" away from the positive terminal:

Old 04-01-24, 05:48 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Glad you had fun. What engine does the Tahoe have? If it has the 6.2 you'll know it right away lol. It's slow compared to your super Benz but I'll never forget pulling the Yukon out onto the main road from the dealership for the very first time and being shocked.
Old 04-01-24, 08:30 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I got a broken windshield Saturday morning. It was raining and I heard the loud clack. It sounded like a break as I have head that sound in two other cars, but I didn’t immediately see the star because it was raining pretty hard and there was lots of water on the windshield. I watched my newly beloved FC Bayern cough up a game to Dortmund (the bees) in my favorite deli and when I came back to the car, there was not only a telltale star, but also a long crack.

There is always tons of debris on the roads here in SoCal, so damage is part of the deal. It’s just a question of when. The contrast with Germany and Austria is noticeable. There is almost never debris on the road there. There are no busted up tires (road alligators). I like driving there for many reasons and I hate driving here.

In other news, my brother has a company car of sorts and it’s a Jaguar XJ L. It’s a very long car for starters. Beyond that, the supercharged V8 is really nice and smooth with ample power. It is very angry at premium unleaded gasoline though with a high of 21.7 mpg . It does make me want a luxury car and a Jag would never be my choice, but it is nice. I don’t consider the IS to be a luxury car. I’ve had two of them. They are nice cars and admittedly a league beyond my Super Civic. Still the Jag makes me pine a bit for a significantly higher end car.
Old 04-01-24, 11:12 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by link13
I go

In other news, my brother has a company car of sorts and it’s a Jaguar XJ L. It’s a very long car for starters. Beyond that, the supercharged V8 is really nice and smooth with ample power. It is very angry at premium unleaded gasoline though with a high of 21.7 mpg . car.
22 MPG is not bad for a car that powerful.
Old 04-01-24, 11:18 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
22 MPG is not bad for a car that powerful.
Not bad at all. My supercharged V6 and Twin-turbo straight 6 both average just under 20mpg. 22 out of a supercharged V8 is just fine.
Old 04-01-24, 12:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

See if your booster has a set of cables with longer length. That’s what I ordered for mine, same issue on the Mercedes.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
steve - congrats on the big vacation. hope you had a wonderful time. safe travels back to home today.
Thank you! We are ready to go home lol

Glad you had fun. What engine does the Tahoe have? If it has the 6.2 you'll know it right away lol. It's slow compared to your super Benz but I'll never forget pulling the Yukon out onto the main road from the dealership for the very first time and being shocked.
It’s not the 6.2 I’m sure. It feels fine, quicker than the QX80 I had. The GM SUVs are so great, I will say though way less cargo room than the Pacifica, this doesn’t even come up to the windows in the Pacifica!

Old 04-01-24, 01:17 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ditto.
I hope ya'll got some tshirts or stuff to remember the trip!

Originally Posted by geko29
Not bad at all. My supercharged V6 and Twin-turbo straight 6 both average just under 20mpg. 22 out of a supercharged V8 is just fine.
I'm ok with 22 mpg for that car, I'd drive it.
Old 04-01-24, 01:42 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I am certainly not saying the Jag is not a very nice car. It is awesome. My IS 250 and 350 didn’t do any better on MPG. The 250 convinced me to get the big motor and I miss that car. The Jag is a few levels up, but I would choose a Benz over the Jag as a matter of personal preference. The Jag is nice and I’m only irked because it makes me want a luxury car that I really don’t need lol.
Old 04-01-24, 02:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Ditto.
I hope ya'll got some tshirts or stuff to remember the trip!

I'm ok with 22 mpg for that car, I'd drive it.
I’d drive it if it got 14 lol.
Old 04-01-24, 05:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I’d drive it if it got 14 lol.
I can’t wrap my head around the idea that someone might have a 6.2l engine but also worries about gas mileage.
Old 04-01-24, 06:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I can’t wrap my head around the idea that someone might have a 6.2l engine but also worries about gas mileage.
I don't give a rat's *** about gas mileage, not sure where you're getting that lol. The Mercedes really guzzles it down, the V12 I can't even imagine. One drive and you'd need to fill it up. Or are you talking just in general? TTv6s in trucks don't do much better. That 3.5 Ecoboost I had was about 12.

The Denali is horrible, about 11MPG. It's impossible not to put your foot into it because it responds so eagerly, so it probably could do a little better though....

Originally Posted by SW17LS
S
It’s not the 6.2 I’m sure. It feels fine, quicker than the QX80 I had. The GM SUVs are so great, I will say though way less cargo room than the Pacifica, this doesn’t even come up to the windows in the Pacifica!
Then it's the 5.3 which is a good deal less powerful than that QX, and the 0-60 time of the Tahoe 5.3 is significantly slower, over a second. That speaks volumes that the Tahoe felt faster, that 10 speed auto really knocks off shifts fast and doesn't give a flip about economy when you hit the gas. For a pushrod engine especially, GM V8s are so eager to rev out.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-01-24 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-01-24, 06:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Its all about the gearing.

I will say, the Tahoe was great on the 1.5 hour drive from Port Canaveral to Orlando, confy and confident up to 90, great vehicle for long family roadtrips.

BUT, driving to the airport from Disney today we had a lot of rush hour traffic to deal with, and the squat and dive and the size and heft of the vehicle moving in and out of traffic was really tiring both for me driving and for my wife and kids....not something I would want every day but for a roadtrip yeah.
Old 04-01-24, 06:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Its all about the gearing.
Yes, and transmission responsiveness. Floor any GM truck and it goes right to the meat and stays right there. The transmission is probably laggy in QX for fuel economy, those get even worse than LX570s did.

BUT, driving to the airport from Disney today we had a lot of rush hour traffic to deal with, and the squat and dive and the size and heft of the vehicle moving in and out of traffic was really tiring both for me driving and for my wife and kids....not something I would want every day but for a roadtrip yeah.
I guess I don't notice it or am not as sensitive to it as you, or it doesn't bother me. I can get right out of the sporty SL and into the LX and I never feel there's excessive dive or squat. I barely notice a difference in comfort for that matter. There is some dive, but nothing excessive IMO. AHC does a good job. It does feel extremely heavy 6200lbs but I like that... a lot.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1