Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-24, 07:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I don't give a rat's *** about gas mileage, not sure where you're getting that lol. The Mercedes really guzzles it down, the V12 I can't even imagine..
What I mean is. One buys a gas guzzler, what do you expect? Of course it’s gonna be bad on gas.

Like what’s the big deal?
Spoiler

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-01-24 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-01-24, 07:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Oh, right lol. I just don’t care. Gas is too expensive but it’ll go back down.
Old 04-01-24, 07:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Old 04-01-24, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

the budget for everything is a little different than a rolls royce.

as far as 'who cares', well if you drive a lot (which you don't seem to) it adds up to signifcant overhead. i don't even drive much and my gas cars haven't been that thirsty but i appreciate saving $100 a month on gas in the ev.
Old 04-01-24, 08:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the budget for everything is a little different than a rolls royce.

Old 04-01-24, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Y
I guess I don't notice it or am not as sensitive to it as you, or it doesn't bother me. I can get right out of the sporty SL and into the LX and I never feel there's excessive dive or squat. I barely notice a difference in comfort for that matter. There is some dive, but nothing excessive IMO. AHC does a good job. It does feel extremely heavy 6200lbs but I like that... a lot.
I just don't see how thats possible lol. Getting into the Pacifica at the airport it felt like a sports car compared to the Tahoe. Dive in the Tahoe under hard braking is insane, the nose drops like 12 inches plus and it rocks back and then forward again when it comes to a stop. Enough to make my kids scream. Now, your family's Denali has the active suspension which I am sure this does not.

Here's the same luggage in the Pacifica:

Compared to the Tahoe:

Gas isnt going to go down in any meaningful way
Old 04-01-24, 09:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just don't see how thats possible lol. Getting into the Pacifica at the airport it felt like a sports car compared to the Tahoe. Dive in the Tahoe under hard braking is insane, the nose drops like 12 inches plus and it rocks back and then forward again when it comes to a stop. Enough to make my kids scream. Now, your family's Denali has the active suspension which I am sure this does not.
Well I don't mean the SL and LX drive the same, but there's not much difference in comfort when you switch. I absolutely do not notice any meaningful dive unless it's some crazy stop. Never any rocking back and forth at a stop. Driving in and around traffic is lovely in the LX. You don't like the body motions but LX is not a large vehicle, size wise at all. 197 inches. But it still feels like just as big of a tank as the GMC.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Gas isnt going to go down in any meaningful way
Oh yes it will assuming things come into play and we get energy down. You also said gas would never be below $4 again.... it is.
Old 04-01-24, 09:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Not to discredit what you don't like or how things drive, but I do I think you're "spoiled" by having one of the finest cars in the world as your DD and are just totally used to all of that excellence. You like what you like about the Tahoe, but you drive what you drive for a reason. S-Class has always been the jack of all trades and the best (mostly).

Your S-Class is insane, 0-60 in 4.2 seconds.. great handling with active seat bolsters... and a V8 S-Class is just, well, better than anything else on the road pretty much. Car wise at least.
Old 04-01-24, 09:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well I don't mean the SL and LX drive the same, but there's not much difference in comfort when you switch. I absolutely do not notice any meaningful dive unless it's some crazy stop. Never any rocking back and forth at a stop. Driving in and around traffic is lovely in the LX. You don't like the body motions but LX is not a large vehicle, size wise at all. 197 inches. But it still feels like just as big of a tank as the GMC.
There is just a massive difference between driving a huge BOF truck and a small unibody GT luxury car lol. Out on the open road that additional mass pays dividends, but when piloting it around in traffic or on city or suburban roads that mass has huge drawbacks. Thats just physics.

I'm also not somebody who just sits in traffic, I move between lanes and find gaps and pop into and out of them. There is just no doubt that a car is better suited for that type of driving, in the Tahoe it was very disturbing to my passengers where in our cars its not. Driving home the GW parkway is under massive construction, and the one lane between a jersey barrier and the guardrail was VERY narrow, I was very thankful we were in the Pacifica and not that Tahoe.

Oh yes it will assuming things come into play and we get energy down. You also said gas would never be below $4 again.... it is.
It won't, and its barely below $4, gas prices here are about $3.70 for regular, almost $5 for high test, it was the same in FL. The only way gas will go more meaningfully down is if we had another disaster that dramatically reduced the demand for gas, which obviously we hope we never have.
Old 04-01-24, 09:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not to discredit what you don't like or how things drive, but I do I think you're "spoiled" by having one of the finest cars in the world as your DD and are just totally used to all of that excellence. You like what you like about the Tahoe, but you drive what you drive for a reason. S-Class has always been the jack of all trades and the best (mostly).

Your S-Class is insane, 0-60 in 4.2 seconds.. great handling with active seat bolsters... and a V8 S-Class is just, well, better than anything else on the road pretty much. Car wise at least.
Then why did I get back into the Pacifica and find it much more relaxing to drive? Its not about the S Class. The Tahoe is just too big to drive in traffic the way I drive in traffic, the Pacifica has a much more manageable size, and much more carlike handling and feels much lighter on its feet than a Tahoe, the Tahoe is great on the highway but honestly thats the only driving scenario where I would prefer it, and even then the difference isn't so huge that I would take the tradeoffs in other areas. Its just entirely an overkill vehicle for us with way more downsides than upsides.

In a perfect world I would own one as a third car and just use it for travel, but seeing that I never drive more than 400 miles one way, and we don't take road trips very often, that would be crazy.
Old 04-01-24, 11:28 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I can’t wrap my head around the idea that someone might have a 6.2l engine but also worries about gas mileage.
MY motto is, use the correct tool for the job.

Another words, if someone needs to save money in gas, buy a Prius, barf. Lol

If someone wants to drive like a boss, buy a V-12.

​​​​​​ 🤓🤔
Old 04-02-24, 07:07 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

There are ways of saving money gas besides buying a Prius. Camry Hybrid, Fusion Hybrid, ES 300h. All get phenomenal gas mileage, and look and drive nice. The new Prius is actually quite attractive and drives nice, it’s just very cramped now. I sat in one at the car show and it a no go. Lol
Old 04-02-24, 07:13 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Drive nice? I guess that depends on what you define as nice lol!
Old 04-02-24, 07:37 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nicer than a previous gen Prius, that margate was probably thinking about.
Old 04-02-24, 07:37 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
MY motto is, use the correct tool for the job.

If someone wants to drive like a boss, buy a V-12.

​​​​​​ 🤓🤔
The company that owns the Jag does not care about MPG. The Jag drinks gas about the same as my IS350 did and the 250 was not any more efficient but it was slower at least. The Jag is a far superior car and the point is I wasn’t concerned about thirsty IS cars and fuel economy would not be among my criteria when buying a luxury car that also brings performance to the table.

The new Prius is not bad looking for the first time in history but I would never buy one. For starters, I refuse to drive in the left lane and hold up traffic

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1