Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 10:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I would just assume this, but is start/stop a lot worse when it's not a smooth V8? The start stop in your S-Class isn't too terrible (though I hate it still and would always turn it off).
It’s pretty bad on any car haha. I have it coded off on my S Class

One big issue I have with the 760 is there is no way to turn it off. Can’t be turned off with a button or coded off!
Old 04-06-24, 10:47 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It’s pretty bad on any car haha. I have it coded off on my S Class
Oh I know you jailbroke it, lol. I don't blame you, but me personally I'd just hit the button every time as long as it wasn't dug into a screen.

One big issue I have with the 760 is there is no way to turn it off. Can’t be turned off with a button or coded off!
Dealbreaker, that is really unfortunate. i7 it would be!
Old 04-06-24, 10:59 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Local dealer has my dream luxury car in stock with almost perfect options.....I'm going to go take a look.

https://www.toybarncars.com/used/Ben...815cc4a58a.htm

The engine is very fascinating, low HP but insane torque. Over 700 off idle lol!
Wow that is a great looking car with tons of features and very low miles. Decent price too even though its over six years old. At least it is probably easy for you to work on because I know someone with a Bentayga and he said the service costs are ridiculous.
Old 04-06-24, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Oh I know you jailbroke it, lol. I don't blame you, but me personally I'd just hit the button every time as long as it wasn't dug into a screen.
One of the great things about a German car is the ability to code it. Mine leaves the ESS off, it defaults to the drive mode I prefer every time, then you can code off and on the seat belt chimes and all kinds of things,

Dealbreaker, that is really unfortunate. i7 it would be!
I wouldn’t call it a dealbreaker, it’s way less noticeable with the 48v system, it’s 95% imperceptible in the 760…it’s actually even less noticeable than on the S580
Old 04-06-24, 12:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Wow that is a great looking car with tons of features and very low miles. Decent price too even though its over six years old. At least it is probably easy for you to work on because I know someone with a Bentayga and he said the service costs are ridiculous.
Its fantastically nice but there were some dealbreaker class issues.....all cosmetic, the step up over my W12 on the interior was also not quite what I expected but I guess when you already have super nice ultra nice doesn't have the same shock factor lol!

The car was on aftermarket rims, REALLY hard driven tires, had a cracked front bumper and shattered paint ($15-20k for that alone) but the real big red flag was the passenger rear door upper lead corner had rust/corrosion. That's not acceptable for $140k IMO....

Appointments and features are excellent, veneer and hides are peerless and fit/finish is not anything less than perfect. Smell is exceptional, door feel is very unique as well.....I was expecting a more aggressive latch tone and thunk like my Audi but it's really more like a Lexus. Very refined and smooth, same with all the controls.

Underside is surprisingly primitive, it's not a flying spur under there that's for sure but I would want this as a pure luxury car not performance. Acceleration is "hand of god" or jet like and very smooth, all inputs need to be deliberate but it's a truly special drive.

I didn't take many pictures sorry, was busy just enjoying its presence etc lol!

RSE screens retract and tray tables are power deploy

All metal

Last edited by Striker223; 04-06-24 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-06-24, 12:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

One of the great things about a German car is the ability to code it. Mine leaves the ESS off, it defaults to the drive mode I prefer every time, then you can code off and on the seat belt chimes and all kinds of things,

I wouldn’t call it a dealbreaker, it’s way less noticeable with the 48v system, it’s 95% imperceptible in the 760…it’s actually even less noticeable than on the S580
Is there really no way to code it out or disable the circuit? On land rovers you physically remove a module to stop its ability to start/stop
Old 04-06-24, 12:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is there really no way to code it out or disable the circuit? On land rovers you physically remove a module to stop its ability to start/stop
Not that anybody on the BMW forums have found…

the new BMWs are much harder to code, can’t code euro headlights and all anymore either.
Old 04-06-24, 01:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

S580
That is neat…. Mine’s too old for anything obviously.

I’m a seat belt wearer absolutely but chimes drive me INSANE, my LX. I don’t get around to it right away every time, it will ding for 45 seconds.

In the old analog Benz the seatbelt warning is a light that comes on with the other ones at startup and goes right off. Not even a regular chime.

That’s glorious. Even I was surprised at first at how lax the seat belt warning is.
Old 04-06-24, 02:09 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Its fantastically nice but there were some dealbreaker class issues.....all cosmetic, the step up over my W12 on the interior was also not quite what I expected but I guess when you already have super nice ultra nice doesn't have the same shock factor lol!

The car was on aftermarket rims, REALLY hard driven tires, had a cracked front bumper and shattered paint ($15-20k for that alone) but the real big red flag was the passenger rear door upper lead corner had rust/corrosion. That's not acceptable for $140k IMO....

Appointments and features are excellent, veneer and hides are peerless and fit/finish is not anything less than perfect. Smell is exceptional, door feel is very unique as well.....I was expecting a more aggressive latch tone and thunk like my Audi but it's really more like a Lexus. Very refined and smooth, same with all the controls.

Underside is surprisingly primitive, it's not a flying spur under there that's for sure but I would want this as a pure luxury car not performance. Acceleration is "hand of god" or jet like and very smooth, all inputs need to be deliberate but it's a truly special drive.

I didn't take many pictures sorry, was busy just enjoying its presence etc lol!

That car definitely has some presence with that front end and I actually like the wheels on it. I can't see the paint issues or the cracked bumper though. Also, not sure how it has rust unless it was kept outside since it only has 12k miles, it should be near flawless if not driven that much. What do you mean by shattered paint?
Old 04-06-24, 02:17 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

That car definitely has some presence with that front end and I actually like the wheels on it. I can't see the paint issues or the cracked bumper though. Also, not sure how it has rust unless it was kept outside since it only has 12k miles, it should be near flawless if not driven that much. What do you mean by shattered paint?

Here you go, there is a crack in the bumper just under that air inlet and the paint is shattered. Massive issue and a walk away type problem for me at that price

Also, y'all are right. The Bentayga just doesn't do the badge justice in person, the Mulsanne was the very definition of presence but the tayga is "eh", still a crazy nice interior and I personally like them a lot but I see why many here think it looks weak. The interior is so good however that for me it's still my favorite on road SUV.

Last edited by Striker223; 04-06-24 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-06-24, 02:21 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

The outer part of that tire doesn't look so good either.
Old 04-06-24, 02:27 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Here you go, there is a crack in the number just under that air inlet and the paint is shattered. Massive issue and a walk away type problem for me at that price

Also, y'all are right. The Bentayga just doesn't do the badge justice in person, the Mulsanne was the very definition of presence but the tayga is "eh", still a crazy nice interior and I personally like them a lot but I see why many here think it looks weak. The interior is so good however that for me it's still my favorite on road SUV.
Ok, I see it now. As for the Bentayga they get no love here but I saw a ton of them last week and it was strange, some I saw had presence and others didn’t for some reason. Could have been the color of some of them but I didn’t really pay attention much, it’s just some made me look and others just glance.
Old 04-06-24, 02:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Ok, I see it now. As for the Bentayga they get no love here but I saw a ton of them last week and it was strange, some I saw had presence and others didn’t for some reason. Could have been the color of some of them but I didn’t really pay attention much, it’s just some made me look and others just glance.
I drove a silver one today and again the interior is nice but in that color I just felt like I was in a SQ7 since mine lacked the real engine etc....

I've also been around a Viridian green over a similar scheme as the Mulsanne and THAT one had some serious presence. It was a W12 so the exterior brightwork was much more prominent and the drive was just so much better than the V8.
Old 04-06-24, 02:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LH1
The outer part of that tire doesn't look so good either.
Its absolutely fried, someone was really driving the car right to its limits! Shredded it like it went on track really......to do that on the street you need to push beyond sane limits.
Old 04-06-24, 02:59 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

If I see a car for sale and it has tires in that condition, I don't bother looking at it any further.

Even your lowest tier car lots will put a set of tires on a car before rolling it out for sale.

This screams shady. Lol

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1