Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 12:04 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Stroock639
if i see an RX all i'm thinking is uh oh please let this just be someone driving someone else's RX and not an 'RX driver'... i usually try to give them plenty of space or just quickly pass before something can happen lol

as i see it... to buy an RX generally indicates to me that you don't enjoy driving, you're interested in isolating yourself as much as possible from anything to do with driving, you probably believe an AWD SUV is necessary for 'safety' since your area very occasionally receives mild flurries, and you likely have enough money that minor accidents aren't the biggest deal

mechanically nice reliable and very comfortable cars but even 20 years ago my dad preferred the MDX for the increased driving engagement and feel
One of my vehicles is an RX and I do enjoy driving. However, around here with traffic it's not like I would have any option to test a 0-60 time of under 3 seconds or cruise on on open road. for miles. For my (and I'm sure many others) driving around town the RX is perfect. Yes, it isolates, so I don't have to hear the music pounding from the car next to me with its windows down while waiting at a light. Not a stiff suspension so the brick streets don't put my kidneys on my shoulders. Are there other vehicles I would like to have? Sure, but price and practicality put me in my RX. Basically it's a great vehicle for around town and road trips with passengers, with enough room to bring any essentials needed. Oh, and my pups like it too!!! :0)
Old 01-08-24, 12:08 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 01-08-24, 12:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

well his accord race is still hearsay lol, but still not exactly the same thing... the LX / land cruiser is definitely more of an enthusiast car, especially as they get older
I'm not making it up.

Steve I doubt is ever inadvertently racing, his S-Class is reallllllllllllllllyyyyyyy fast. He would beat 95% of the cars on the road.
Old 01-08-24, 12:33 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
One of my vehicles is an RX and I do enjoy driving. However, around here with traffic it's not like I would have any option to test a 0-60 time of under 3 seconds or cruise on on open road. for miles. For my (and I'm sure many others) driving around town the RX is perfect. Yes, it isolates, so I don't have to hear the music pounding from the car next to me with its windows down while waiting at a light. Not a stiff suspension so the brick streets don't put my kidneys on my shoulders. Are there other vehicles I would like to have? Sure, but price and practicality put me in my RX. Basically it's a great vehicle for around town and road trips with passengers, with enough room to bring any essentials needed. Oh, and my pups like it too!!! :0)
they're great cars! it's just my observation that they attract the type of buyer that is completely unable to conceptualize that the driving itself can be a fun activity... the kind of person that might say something like 'this has better pickup than the "V4" model'... outside of car forums that would just be a normal person lol but that's my point

doug demuro's dad has an RX, enough said!
Old 01-08-24, 12:41 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'm not making it up.

Steve I doubt is ever inadvertently racing, his S-Class is reallllllllllllllllyyyyyyy fast. He would beat 95% of the cars on the road.
i'd probably go higher than 95% tbh, but what do you mean inadvertently racing someone?

and i'm not saying you made it up just that we'll never get the perspective of the accord guy and you didn't get to have a post race debrief with him lol

p.s. i had you in mind with my phil leotardo line in post #300

Last edited by Stroock639; 01-08-24 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-08-24, 12:48 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

i'd probably go higher than 95% tbh, but what do you mean inadvertently racing someone?

and i'm not saying you made it up just that we'll never get the perspective of the accord guy and you didn't get to have a post race debrief with him lol
There is no secret hand shake or debriefing or anything like that.

People know when they are being taunted to hit the gas and engage.

Sometimes it's just a subtle revving or a quick start and then a pause to see if you're "in" before hitting the gas again. Lol

We just know. 😀
​​
Old 01-08-24, 12:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

p.s. i had you in mind with my phil leotardo line in post #300
LOLLL I missed that. Good one. Next time, there'll be no next time.

I did notice earlier someone said "'remember when' is the lowest form of conversation" (Tony says that) which I disagree with.

And sure, his S-class, 98% of cars. I've been in one, it was like lightning. There was turbo lag though.

About that race, a brand new top line Accord got dusted by an SUV with 180 more HP and twice the cylinders, not a huge shock lol.
Old 01-08-24, 12:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

No turbo lag in mine...at least not that I percieve
Old 01-08-24, 12:57 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

well his accord race is still hearsay lol, but still not exactly the same thing... the LX / land cruiser is definitely more of an enthusiast car, especially as they get older

another thing, do you ever go for a drive just to go for a drive? or are you only commuting? take the benz out on more sunday mornings and you might see a change lol
Oh yeah, regularly and sometimes I set an alarm for 3:30am. Me and a few friends actually went out yesterday with NVGs to get some zero light driving practice in at one of their properties
Old 01-08-24, 03:38 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All this chatter about the Accord and Camry loosing thier high horsepower engines. I really don’t care.

I’m much more about upset the discontinuation of the Lexus GS, and the RX 350 loosing its smooth V6. I remember back in 2017 there were lots of Honda enthusiasts that were upset about the accord V6 being replaced with a 2.0T.

Also I think the previous generation Accord has a hideous overstyled exterior. That chrome unibrow up front looks awful. I didn’t like the chrome trim on the rear bumper, either or above the side windows. I was upset that Honda never facelifted it to give it a better looking exterior. The new accord looks awkward with its long front overhang. And the interior is blah, But I still think it looks better than the previous generation.

Old 01-08-24, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I've never understood why people hate on the previous gen Accord, I think they look great.
Old 01-08-24, 04:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Agree.

The new one is a snoozefest generic nightmare from behind.
Old 01-08-24, 04:20 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Looks are subjective. I think the Camry and the Altima look better. People hate on the new 7 series. I think it looks great! Some people like the Mercedes EQS. I think it looks hideous!
Old 01-08-24, 04:21 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJT123

The new one is a snoozefest generic nightmare from behind.
I love the new rear end it reminds me of the Audi A7
Old 01-08-24, 04:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,613 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I've never understood why people hate on the previous gen Accord, I think they look great.
I wouldn't use the word "hate" for me, but I really, really disliked the previous gen Accord. I found it to be one of the least attractive cars on the road. The new one is a hair better, but not much. I'm seeing quite a few new ones around.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1