Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 09:35 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t have to stop in a gas car, I get all the way there and then some on a tank. With that said I do typically stop to use the bathroom and to get something to eat.

The planning is what I am trying to avoid, the good news is there are now many options along the way so that I don’t have to plan, it’s more similar to a gas car. I would never drive a 1,400 mile road trip in general so that’s not an issue for me really.

All of those blips along 81 and 64 are fast charging options available to non teslas.

Just a couple of months ago there were two options and that’s it.

The gas car is absolutely better on a trip, but around town the EV would be better and I prefer the ride and drive of the EV, so that’s the trade off. Just trying to decide if I can deal with the trade off.
I gotcha. The charging infrastructure seems to be growing. I personally prefer EV around town and gas on roadtrips because it’s going to get me there the fastest.

Originally Posted by Margate330
1,400 miles???
Daaaang, why you want to do that to yourself. Lol

Plane or train for me and I hate flying and never been on a train. Lol

I have a track day weekend planned. I’ll be towing my car over the 1,400 miles. It’s a dream track. Ideally I wish I could fly and have my car shipped!! Will definitely be my longest drive.

Recently I met a 14yr kid at the track. The kid and the dad flew in while the grandparents towed the race car in the race trailer 20hrs. The kid could freaking drive!! He kart races as well. I look forward to him going pro in the future. He’s that fast!!
Old 04-15-24, 09:49 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Striker223
The ethanol content doesn't matter past MPG and how long the fuel lasts and water saturation, the octane number is what matters in this context but obviously pure gas is superior for many reasons.

Im not sure what your truck will need, some are totally happy on 89, others want more.....I have yet to see one that is okay with 87 though. My Jag I had for a while speced 91+ even though it's "just a ford engine" but I found it was okay on 89 and didn't pull time. Reason it needed it at all over the ford engines are because the base map is different and they try and maximize midrange power and lower rpm high load pickup that will not manifest as an "advertised power" different but can amount to 30hp or more in the mid RPM due to spark advance and higher TQ lower down where lower spec fuel simply can't withstand the advance.

That's why you see a LOT of turbo engine tunes that have the same ending power but the 91 vs 93 octane gave a 50-100tq increase in the midrange/peak range. The lower spec fuel just can't handle the ignition window on hand at lower RPM and you need to pull advance until the window gets tighter up high and you can get away with it. I do some tuning with DS1 for my 4.0 so this is purely from the perspective of someone who is an amateur but does know the concepts and how to apply them to an extent.

The GTR are cool but the trans is a weak point and not as easy to rebuild as something like an R8 but it's a really cool car. A bit cheap interior wise and heavy but there are so many known ways to be insanely fast with them it's a car I respect. Not for me though due to cylinder count primarily....
Over the years it’s been beaten to death 87 vs premium on tundra forums. I’ve always just ran 87. You have a huge crowd who swear running premium is throwing money down the drain. Doesn’t take much to convince me to save a few bucks if I’m not doing any harm. However when I throw the blower on, it will only see premium.

My car is tuned for 93 and E85. I’ve never ran anything else in it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the dealer put 87 in it when I took delivery. I took it easy the first 600 miles. It’s been tuned since 617 miles. The first OTS tune I ran was a 93 tune with zero mods and I could instantly tell the difference. Nowadays I run a custom tune. We’re currently working on a revision.
Old 04-15-24, 09:51 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Over the years it’s been beaten to death 87 vs premium on tundra forums. I’ve always just ran 87. You have a huge crowd who swear running premium is throwing money down the drain. Doesn’t take much to convince me to save a few bucks if I’m not doing any harm. However when I throw the blower on, it will only see premium.

My car is tuned for 93 and E85. I’ve never ran anything else in it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the dealer put 87 in it when I took delivery. I took it easy the first 600 miles. It’s been tuned since 617 miles. The first OTS tune I ran was a 93 tune with zero mods and I could instantly tell the difference. Nowadays I run a custom tune. We’re currently working on a revision.
My RX330 recommends premium but I ran it many times on 87 and it does ok.

Only reason I'm running premium these days is I'm hoping it has additives and stuff in it that will magically make my engine last longer.

Yeah wishful thinking and probably flushing the money down the drain.
Old 04-15-24, 11:00 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

These are quite entertaining to watch, in just how many people drive into floods.

This one is lol:

Last edited by 703; 04-15-24 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-15-24, 11:13 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by 703
These are quite entertaining to watch, in just how many people drive into floods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1HHFXFN788
I’ve seen some of instances of this in person. Last year I had the put the LX in high position to drive thru after watching a few trucks go first.

My wife did this just last week I believe. I’m glad she remembered to put the height position in high.
Old 04-16-24, 04:42 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Oh man I got addicted to watching these about 2-3 months ago. That giant tractor taking the concrete barrier thing with zero issue was hilarious.
Old 04-16-24, 06:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I’ve seen some of instances of this in person. Last year I had the put the LX in high position to drive thru after watching a few trucks go first.

My wife did this just last week I believe. I’m glad she remembered to put the height position in high.
Bet it still would have been fine, but yeah. I never had to raise the suspension when it snowed 10 inches here....
Old 04-16-24, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I gotcha. The charging infrastructure seems to be growing. I personally prefer EV around town and gas on roadtrips because it’s going to get me there the fastest.
Same, but I gotta be able to do both to a certain degree with the same car.

I have a track day weekend planned. I’ll be towing my car over the 1,400 miles. It’s a dream track. Ideally I wish I could fly and have my car shipped!! Will definitely be my longest drive.

Recently I met a 14yr kid at the track. The kid and the dad flew in while the grandparents towed the race car in the race trailer 20hrs. The kid could freaking drive!! He kart races as well. I look forward to him going pro in the future. He’s that fast!!
Super fun! Thats awesome
Old 04-16-24, 09:18 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I've been to that track, like 25 years ago! It was super neat then. Have a blast!

And yes I love these flood videos too the ones in England.
Old 04-16-24, 03:01 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJT123
Bet it still would have been fine, but yeah. I never had to raise the suspension when it snowed 10 inches here....
I watched several cars stall in the middle of the street in the flood. I did go check on them.

Same, but I gotta be able to do both to a certain degree with the same car.

Super fun! Thats awesome
A 3rd vehicle would solve this. An EV or PHEV.

I've been to that track, like 25 years ago! It was super neat then. Have a blast!
Definitely looking forward to it!!
Old 04-16-24, 03:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I watched several cars stall in the middle of the street in the flood. I did go check on them.
Cars or trucks? I passed so many stuck 4x4s at the bottom of hills it wasn't even funny. They all looked at us like we were insane bc I guess they're not car people and just assume an LX is a big Lexus grocery getter, not a Land Cruiser designed to last 30 years through the worst.

All on all season tires too which really impresses me. No exaggeration, the LX did not struggle even once anywhere I took it.
Old 04-16-24, 03:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Oh and LOL, my favorite is when they zero in on the car dying after it gets out of the water on these videos.

Go to 5:00, a lifted broken down Land Rover, that's pathetic.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-16-24 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-16-24, 03:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A 3rd vehicle would solve this. An EV or PHEV.
Don't want and can't house a third vehicle
Old 04-16-24, 04:47 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Cars or trucks? I passed so many stuck 4x4s at the bottom of hills it wasn't even funny. They all looked at us like we were insane bc I guess they're not car people and just assume an LX is a big Lexus grocery getter, not a Land Cruiser designed to last 30 years through the worst.

All on all season tires too which really impresses me. No exaggeration, the LX did not struggle even once anywhere I took it.
cars and 1 van. We’re running Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. Very few people know what the LC and LX are capable of. I’ve only taken it “off road” when traffic is at a stand still on the highway. One time I had my car on the trailer, threw the LX in High position and escaped to the service road.

Don't want and can't house a third vehicle
Come back to the Prius family, pick up a 5th gen and park it outside. 🙃
Old 04-16-24, 04:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Come back to the Prius family, pick up a 5th gen and park it outside. 🙃
Not a lot of point buying a car I would never want to drive lol

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1