Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 03:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Because you have 1 car. LOL

I’m the same way. Depending of where I’m going, who’s going, factors in which vehicle I will drive. Weather plays a part as well.
I used to care more about weather but after I got good at paint correction and ceramic washing consists of foam cannon and a leaf blower over 7 min now. I don't even touch the car anymore since near all water just falls off.

Add in the fact it's all aluminum and I just simply don't care anymore lol! If it's severe weather with crazy wind then yeah I'll leave the nice cars inside and I still don't like freshly salted roads even with alum cars with every bolt coated.....rubs me the wrong way.
Old 04-17-24, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Because you have 1 car. LOL
I have 2 cars. Point is, I don't want to drive a cheaper less enjoyable car to save on driving my nice car places. I bought it to drive it, not to park it in a garage. I drive it in the snow, rain, mud, wind, drive it in the city, park it on the street, park it at the airport. Its a car...if it gets damaged I'll repair ir or replace it. I don't see any point in having $120k car sitting in the garage and driving around in a beater lol

Old 04-17-24, 03:57 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I personally love having a big sedan, capable SUV, and two seat roadster.

The more cars the better.

Old 04-17-24, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They're all cars you enjoy at least, I get that...its the beater I don't get.
Old 04-17-24, 04:34 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I used to care more about weather but after I got good at paint correction and ceramic washing consists of foam cannon and a leaf blower over 7 min now. I don't even touch the car anymore since near all water just falls off.

Add in the fact it's all aluminum and I just simply don't care anymore lol! If it's severe weather with crazy wind then yeah I'll leave the nice cars inside and I still don't like freshly salted roads even with alum cars with every bolt coated.....rubs me the wrong way.
I meant like if I just recently cleaned 1 car and the weather is about to get bad, I’ll drive something else that I haven’t cleaned yet. I haven’t gotten ceramic coating yet but I heard it works.
Old 04-17-24, 04:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have a new found love for convertibles, already got a tan for boat season lol. I agree about it being nonsensical-- letting nice cars sit to drive a beater, you only live once.
Old 04-17-24, 04:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

I don't think anyone here has a true beater though lol
Old 04-17-24, 04:47 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

I have 2 cars. Point is, I don't want to drive a cheaper less enjoyable car to save on driving my nice car places. I bought it to drive it, not to park it in a garage. I drive it in the snow, rain, mud, wind, drive it in the city, park it on the street, park it at the airport. Its a car...if it gets damaged I'll repair ir or replace it. I don't see any point in having $120k car sitting in the garage and driving around in a beater lol

My uncle has a Rolls Royce, Range Rover, old F250 (farm truck) and an Accord hybrid. The Accord is his daily followed by the F250, then the Range Rover and finally the Rolls.

You may consider the Accord and F250 beaters. You don’t have to wear the dress slacks and tassel loafers everyday.

Originally Posted by AJT123
I personally love having a big sedan, capable SUV, and two seat roadster.

The more cars the better.
Man I agree 😁 I played a trick on my wife couple days ago telling her I bought another car. She took it better than I thought. When I show up with the LC I’ll have my forgiveness speech prepared.

Get a nice 3rd vehicle. Doesn’t have to be $120k.
Old 04-17-24, 04:49 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Depends on his definition of a beater. He may think our nice to us cars are beaters 😂
Old 04-17-24, 04:49 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

yea it's been a few years since i had the crown vic lmao... THAT was a beater
Old 04-17-24, 05:15 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Its a car...if it gets damaged I'll repair ir or replace it. I don't see any point in having $120k car sitting in the garage and driving around in a beater lol
when you have a car that still can be replaced then agreed, there's nothing wrong with that mindset... if preservation and longevity is the goal then the 'beater' starts to make sense

don't you still have the ES for that reason? oh and nice 'offroading' in the benz lol, i did that with the LS once to commemorate the return to stock ride height

Old 04-17-24, 05:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My uncle has a Rolls Royce, Range Rover, old F250 (farm truck) and an Accord hybrid. The Accord is his daily followed by the F250, then the Range Rover and finally the Rolls.
Yeah, I would drive the Range Rover every day. Rolls is too flashy for me, no interest in that. I have no desire to drive an Accord when I have a Range Rover sitting in the garage. F250 I would only use when its needed.
You don’t have to wear the dress slacks and tassel loafers everyday.
That analogy doesn't work, because the slacks and tassel loafers are for appearances sake not for comfort and enjoyment. I want to drive my enjoyable and comfortable car all the time, which is why I drive it everywhere and don't worry about it getting dirty or used. I bought it to use it.

Why spend all that money on a car to drive a lesser, less comfortable and enjoyable car the majority of the time? I just don't get it. its like having a nice room in your house you never use...I know people do that, my aunt and uncle used to sleep in their guest room beause their master bedroom was "too nice"...that doesn't compute for me.

Get a nice 3rd vehicle. Doesn’t have to be $120k.
You miss my point. I don't want a third vehicle. I don't want the mental load of having to care for and keep up an extra vehicle and I don't want the hassle of having an extra car I can't park in my garage and would have to park in the driveway or in the street. If I had a three car garage I might be more interested, at least then all of them would be out of the elements. I don't understand having cars I don't drive, rooms in my house I don't use, etc. This is why I live in a 3,800 square foot house when I could afford a 10,000 square foot house. Too much space and stuff I have to keep up that I don't need. We use every room in our house and thats great.

I want both of the vehicles I do have to be both enjoyable, and functional...which they are. Thats why in order for me to replace one with an EV I need to be confident I can use it in the same way I use the ICE car it replaces.
Old 04-17-24, 05:22 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Beaters are ones you drive to shopping malls. Other ones are reserved for driving to your golf or tennis match or long road trips.
Old 04-17-24, 05:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

My old ‘03 Yukon was a hell of a beater lol.

But it drove fine and the a/c froze you in 5 seconds.

I wish we still had it, but just no room anywhere. I wish we had the money for acreage, but right where we live. Then it really doesn’t matter.
Old 04-17-24, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
when you have a car that still can be replaced then agreed, there's nothing wrong with that mindset... if preservation and longevity is the goal then the 'beater' starts to make sense
Thats a different story, because you have a special car you want to preserve. Not only is it a well kept LS400, it was your grandparents and it has special meaning to you. My cars are just cars I bought new.

don't you still have the ES for that reason?
No, my mother drives my old ES. I have tried many times to get her a replacement and even to buy her a replacement and she refuses. She drives like 1,000 miles a year.

I would never have kept that old ES as a beater, I would never drive it because I want to drive my good cars.

oh and nice 'offroading' in the benz lol, i did that with the LS once to commemorate the return to stock ride height
It rises surprisingly high! Especially in the secret "transport mode"

And yes, I drive it in nasty salty weather:

Ever wonder what $2,000 worth of fireworks looks like stuffed in an S Class?

I don't have any pictures because it was so long ago, but yes our LS400 was up on top of this mountain, so was the LS430!

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-17-24 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1