Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Beaters are ones you drive to shopping malls. Other ones are reserved for driving to your golf or tennis match or long road trips.
I drive my S560 to shopping malls lol. I just don't get being afraid of driving a nice car to somewhere like a shopping mall
Old 04-17-24, 05:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I didn't care to DD the beater, but granted I don't drive much.

Old 04-17-24, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats my question, if you had that old Yukon, and your LX, and you go somewhere...which one do you take?

I don't get driving something you don't want to drive simply because you think your car you enjoy more is "too good" to use. You're just preserving it for the next guy.

For instance, I would never CHOOSE to drive the Pacifica on a trip vs the S560. I drive it because its more functional. Thats why I don't want to leave an awesome i7 behind and drive the Pacifica to WV when its just me in the car.
Old 04-17-24, 05:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats my question, if you had that old Yukon, and your LX, and you go somewhere...which one do you take?

I don't get driving something you don't want to drive simply because you think your car you enjoy more is "too good" to use. You're just preserving it for the next guy.
r.
Oh, LX. That Yukon went out of service, literally, the day we got the LX. It sat parked at family's house for months until it got donated.

I agree with your "argument".
Old 04-17-24, 05:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Case in point, my mother has good china, crystal and flatware. She's hardly ever used it, but she loved it...I don't want it and would never use it...so it will be thrown away having been used maybe 10 times. Why?!? She should have been using it as much as she wanted to.

I smoke cigars very rarely. I always smoke good cigars, my friends are like "get these cheap cigars and save those good cigars for a special occasion". Pffft...if I'm going to smoke a cigar, I'm going to smoke a good cigar.

Use and enjoy your good stuff people...the special occasion may never come.
Old 04-17-24, 06:01 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Thats a different story, because you have a special car you want to preserve. Not only is it a well kept LS400, it was your grandparents and it has special meaning to you. My cars are just cars I bought new.
if one gets a nice car that they have no intention of keeping long term and still gets a beater car then i have to question their judgement lol... and in my case it was just a bonus that the crown vic happened to also be very fun in its own regard! as a car person i could never get something that had no amusement factor whatsoever

and damn that suspension seriously rises! i wanna hear more about this secret transport mode haha
Old 04-17-24, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
if one gets a nice car that they have no intention of keeping long term and still gets a beater car then i have to question their judgement lol...
Happens all the time!

and damn that suspension seriously rises! i wanna hear more about this secret transport mode haha
You hold down the suspension raise button for 20 seconds and it takes about 30 seconds to get into that mode, but the car can only be driven up to 20 MPH. In that mode the car has has like 8 inches of ground clearance. This isn't mine but this is what the dash says in the mode:

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-17-24 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-17-24, 06:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts

I drive my S560 to shopping malls lol. I just don't get being afraid of driving a nice car to somewhere like a shopping mall
Yeah but you lease, you don't really permanently own any of your cars and your overall actual expense of pocket with how you buy cars is low enough that you can use any of them as beaters. So in your case there is no drawback to risk at all and you don't drive rare cars that are near impossible to replace

I only have the Jeep to beat the hell out of off road and haul stuff in, it's been mostly sitting unless I have a job for it these days since I can't really ignore the insane gap in driving and comfort anymore.

Speaking of off-road you can program a hidden off road mode onto Audis that allow full 8.2 inch ground clearance up to 55mph and alters the ABS profile to allow lockup when under 7 mph to help stop. I have my programed in the W12 so when I shoot matches at some ranges I have less concern getting stage to stage. It's just added to the normal drive mode menu once you activate it

I get some very funny commentary off-roading a near 200k car, but not of these areas have anything that actually needs something like the Jeep to handle.

Last edited by Striker223; 04-17-24 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-17-24, 06:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah but you lease, you don't really permanently own any of your cars and your overall actual expense of pocket with how you buy cars is low enough that you can use any of them as beaters.
I can buy any of them out of the leases at any time, and I have owned cars in my life too and been the same way. Driving a car is not treating it like a "beater". My S560 is absolutely perfect, you just have to be careful...but cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. I treat my leased cars like they were my own, they are coated, PPFed, over-maintained, detailed weekly etc.

As for expense out of pocket, I will have paid way more at the end of the lease than you've spent on any of your cars, I promise you....whats going to happen to it at a shopping mall? I park it carefully.

You should have seen the looks of everybody when I had the S560 down at the river in that picture I took lol
Old 04-17-24, 07:38 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts

I can buy any of them out of the leases at any time, and I have owned cars in my life too and been the same way. Driving a car is not treating it like a "beater". My S560 is absolutely perfect, you just have to be careful...but cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. I treat my leased cars like they were my own, they are coated, PPFed, over-maintained, detailed weekly etc.

As for expense out of pocket, I will have paid way more at the end of the lease than you've spent on any of your cars, I promise you....whats going to happen to it at a shopping mall? I park it carefully.

You should have seen the looks of everybody when I had the S560 down at the river in that picture I took lol
Well I doubt your lease is 80k but I get what you are trying to say, but lease is still less than buying and keeping in overall costs and that's why you do it. I used to as well but I got tired of not fully owning them and being "forced" to trade in or lose out on my position.

You also write off a lot so your effective cost is low for what you have same way I offset my costs. We just have different goals and constraints.....I would rather have ultra high end cars vs moving lease to lease since I like being able to modify my stuff. Next car will be a supercar and I will be keeping it so it makes no sense to buy new when I'm going to alter it anyway

I had a car dented once in a mall lot, I was so enraged I bought the Jeep that week. I get far too angry if someone messes with my stuff so I got something I don't care about cosmetics on. Not worth me getting enraged
Old 04-17-24, 07:44 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Yeah, I would drive the Range Rover every day. Rolls is too flashy for me, no interest in that. I have no desire to drive an Accord when I have a Range Rover sitting in the garage. F250 I would only use when its needed.

That analogy doesn't work, because the slacks and tassel loafers are for appearances sake not for comfort and enjoyment. I want to drive my enjoyable and comfortable car all the time, which is why I drive it everywhere and don't worry about it getting dirty or used. I bought it to use it.

Why spend all that money on a car to drive a lesser, less comfortable and enjoyable car the majority of the time? I just don't get it. its like having a nice room in your house you never use...I know people do that, my aunt and uncle used to sleep in their guest room beause their master bedroom was "too nice"...that doesn't compute for me.

You miss my point. I don't want a third vehicle. I don't want the mental load of having to care for and keep up an extra vehicle and I don't want the hassle of having an extra car I can't park in my garage and would have to park in the driveway or in the street. If I had a three car garage I might be more interested, at least then all of them would be out of the elements. I don't understand having cars I don't drive, rooms in my house I don't use, etc. This is why I live in a 3,800 square foot house when I could afford a 10,000 square foot house. Too much space and stuff I have to keep up that I don't need. We use every room in our house and thats great.

I want both of the vehicles I do have to be both enjoyable, and functional...which they are. Thats why in order for me to replace one with an EV I need to be confident I can use it in the same way I use the ICE car it replaces.
The Range Rover he rarely drive maybe to church ever so often. I believe the Accord is easier to get in and out plus mpg considering he lives 20 minutes from the closest grocery store. He lives on a farm road out in the sticks. The Rolls is that special occasion cigar. I don’t think he’s too keen on his Range Rover.

Serious question, what enjoyment do you get out of driving your car from point A to B? You’ve never had a race in your life and you don’t speed. I can understand the amenities and comfortability of your car but outside of that where’s the enjoyment? When I had my 460, it was super comfortable but occasionally I would air it out leaving a red light or on the highway. That was my way of enjoying it but I never drove it in the rain. Heck I never drove it consecutive days. It was always wiped down after driving it and put back in the garage. I treat my track car the same way. I keep my track car covered up in the garage. I bought an enclosed trailer to transport my track car to track events. It never sees rain unless it catches me while on track and then I’m pitting out!!

Mental load caring for a 3rd car? Drive it thru the same car wash as your Mercedes. All of our cars have the same wash plan, me 🙋‍♂️except I take advantage of the complimentary dealer hand wash the Lexus dealer provides. But on road trips I will wash myself.

I don’t know how much hp or it’s 0-60 or how well your car handles but if you’re only grandpa’ing it from point A to B are you utilizing all 3,800 sq ft of it or are you using 3,800 of 10,000 since 3,800 suits your needs and how you use it.
Old 04-17-24, 07:52 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Yeah but you lease, you don't really permanently own any of your cars and your overall actual expense of pocket with how you buy cars is low enough that you can use any of them as beaters. So in your case there is no drawback to risk at all and you don't drive rare cars that are near impossible to replace

In bad weather, I will drive the Prius. We use it as a beater. 😂 My wife will park the LX and happily drive the Prius to preserve whatever nasty elements the weather may bring.
Old 04-17-24, 08:01 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Well I doubt your lease is 80k but I get what you are trying to say, but lease is still less than buying and keeping in overall costs and that's why you do it. I used to as well but I got tired of not fully owning them and being "forced" to trade in or lose out on my position.

You also write off a lot so your effective cost is low for what you have same way I offset my costs. We just have different goals and constraints.....I would rather have ultra high end cars vs moving lease to lease since I like being able to modify my stuff. Next car will be a supercar and I will be keeping it so it makes no sense to buy new when I'm going to alter it anyway

I had a car dented once in a mall lot, I was so enraged I bought the Jeep that week. I get far too angry if someone messes with my stuff so I got something I don't care about cosmetics on. Not worth me getting enraged

I park far out in the parking lot away from everyone unless I’m in the Prius I will park among the masses but I prefer a spot next to the curb.

In my teenage years someone backed into my car I parked on the street at a friend’s house. Luckily they were nice enough to tell me. Til this day I try to avoid parking on the street at someone’s house. I will happily ask can I park on your grass if I can’t get in your driveway. If I’m going to someone’s house where I know parking will be confined, I will try to get there early to get in the driveway or….drive the Prius😂 A lot of times friends/family will offer/save me a spot in the driveway😁
Old 04-17-24, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Total of my lease payments is $72,000 lol. You're not forced to trade them, just buy them out if you want to keep them,

As you get older...stuff like that stops enraging you. You just get it fixed, $300 of PDR and its fixed, no big deal. Sure its annoying, but you will get to a point where it doesn't trouble you the same way.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
The Range Rover he rarely drive maybe to church ever so often. I believe the Accord is easier to get in and out plus mpg considering he lives 20 minutes from the closest grocery store. He lives on a farm road out in the sticks. The Rolls is that special occasion cigar. I don’t think he’s too keen on his Range Rover.
Just doesn't compute for me...if I've spent the hundreds of thousands of dollars on a Rolls Royce and a Range Rover, I'm not worried about MPG. If I'm happier getting in and out of a sedan, I would trade the Range Rover in on a flagship luxury sedan. Life is too short to drive an Accord if you don't want to and don't have to IMO. I can understand being happy driving an Accord regardless of how much money I have, if cars just aren't my thing, but I don't understand spending lots of money on cars and then not enjoying them enough to want to drive them so that I would rather drive an Accord. Thats just a colossal waste of money to me.

I see no point in letting expensive incredible cars depreciate in a garage while I drive an inexpensive car every day.

Serious question, what enjoyment do you get out of driving your car from point A to B? You’ve never had a race in your life and you don’t speed. I can understand the amenities and comfortability of your car but outside of that where’s the enjoyment? When I had my 460, it was super comfortable but occasionally I would air it out leaving a red light or on the highway. That was my way of enjoying it but I never drove it in the rain. Heck I never drove it consecutive days. It was always wiped down after driving it and put back in the garage.
I get a ton of enjoyment out of it. The smooth effortless power, the incredible ride comfort and quiet interior, the great massaging seat, great audio system, the outstanding quality and feeling of driving such a great car that I've worked for and have always wanted. Why would I not choose to enjoy that every time I drive since I can instead of just sometimes and being afraid to drive it in the rain?

Mental load caring for a 3rd car? Drive it thru the same car wash as your Mercedes. All of our cars have the same wash plan, me 🙋‍♂️except I take advantage of the complimentary dealer hand wash the Lexus dealer provides. But on road trips I will wash myself.
I'm not sure what your life circumstances are, but when you are a busy executive and have a young family...mental load is a thing. I have a *lot* I am responsible for, my employees and their livelihoods, people's properties, people's wealth and investments, the health of my businesses, the well being of my family...its a lot. Do you know why many CEOs wear the same thing every day? Because it takes one decision off of their plate every day...the decision of what to wear. Not kidding at all. Making decisions all day every day is exhausting.

So yeah, worrying about a third car is a thing...especially when its housed outside and I have to be concerned about keeping it clean and nice which I would be.

If you have interest:

https://fortunateinvestor.com/how-en...r-mental-load/

I don’t know how much hp or it’s 0-60 or how well your car handles but if you’re only grandpa’ing it from point A to B are you utilizing all 3,800 sq ft of it or are you using 3,800 of 10,000 since 3,800 suits your needs and how you use it.
I bought it for its ride quality, refinement, comfort and its style. So, I'm enjoying all of those things to their fullest every time I drive it. I'm not a handling or power guy.

In my teenage years someone backed into my car I parked on the street at a friend’s house. Luckily they were nice enough to tell me. Til this day I try to avoid parking on the street at someone’s house. I will happily ask can I park on your grass if I can’t get in your driveway. If I’m going to someone’s house where I know parking will be confined, I will try to get there early to get in the driveway or….drive the Prius😂 A lot of times friends/family will offer/save me a spot in the driveway😁
I was like that until I turned about 30 years old. Then, I just had to stop living that way. Its a car...yes I love it and I care for it and I want to keep it nice and I am sad when they get damaged, but they can always be fixed, and they can always be replaced. All it takes is money, and I have more money than I have energy to worry about things like that...so I drive my cars and enjoy them, park them as carefully as I can but park them where they need to be parked and don't obsess about it.

Worrying about this stuff makes your things own you, versus you owning your things.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-17-24 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-17-24, 08:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
V8 is back at Porsche. More cars to follow.
they will all be 6 figures.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
i didn't catch all the background, but someone with a rolls royce is concerned with mpg and drives an accord instead? how is an accord easier to get in and out of than a range rover or a rolls royce?

When I had my 460, it was super comfortable but occasionally I would air it out leaving a red light or on the highway. That was my way of enjoying it but I never drove it in the rain.
ha, funny how differently people appreciate things. while acceleration and handling can be exhilarating, like steve i usually mainly enjoy the ride, designs, materials, audio system, controls, etc. in addition to drivetrain and handling. i've enjoyed 'cheap' cars and expensive cars. as for never driving in the rain, i simply don't understand that, at all. in fact unless it's a deluge, i actually like driving in rain.

As you get older...stuff like that stops enraging you. You just get it fixed, $300 of PDR and its fixed, no big deal. Sure its annoying, but you will get to a point where it doesn't trouble you the same way.

Just doesn't compute for me...if I've spent the hundreds of thousands of dollars on a Rolls Royce and a Range Rover, I'm not worried about MPG. If I'm happier getting in and out of a sedan, I would trade the Range Rover in on a flagship luxury sedan. Life is too short to drive an Accord if you don't want to and don't have to IMO. I can understand being happy driving an Accord regardless of how much money I have, if cars just aren't my thing, but I don't understand spending lots of money on cars and then not enjoying them enough to want to drive them so that I would rather drive an Accord. Thats just a colossal waste of money to me.

I see no point in letting expensive incredible cars depreciate in a garage while I drive an inexpensive car every day.

I get a ton of enjoyment out of it. The smooth effortless power, the incredible ride comfort and quiet interior, the great massaging seat, great audio system, the outstanding quality and feeling of driving such a great car that I've worked for and have always wanted. Why would I not choose to enjoy that every time I drive since I can instead of just sometimes and being afraid to drive it in the rain?
i agree with all this (great post). i wish i drove my lc more, but it just doesn't have enough room for what i need in the week so it's my weekend car.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1