Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 09:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as for never driving in the rain, i simply don't understand that, at all. in fact unless it's a deluge, i actually like driving in rain.
Me too! And in the snow. The car gets dirty...just wash it. I LOVE a filthy car at the end of a trip, covered in bugs and dirt because its evidence of having had fun, and then you wash it off and it resets back to perfect.

Someday it will be in a junkyard and you will be dead! So...enjoy it while it and you are alive.

I agree with all this (great post). i wish i drove my lc more, but it just doesn't have enough room for what i need in the week so it's my weekend car.
And you have found something that you also enjoy to drive most of the time, you also have the room to properly house your cars.
Old 04-17-24, 11:07 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I get mildly annoyed if it rains on my car within a couple days of washing it, but beyond that I don't let the elements interfere with my plans. Hell, I only started parking in a garage for the first time in November when I bought this car. Every other vehicle has lived outside during my ownership.

​​​​​​One of my self justifications for buying this car was to keep the miles off the truck, so in a sense you could call it a beater . I only drive about 10k per year now anyway.

Old 04-17-24, 11:57 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

​​​​​​One of my self justifications for buying this car was to keep the miles off the truck, so in a sense you could call it a beater . I only drive about 10k per year now anyway.
Yep, definitely beater status. Haha

Whenever one car gets the miles so another car doesn't, that's how you know it's the beater.

Old 04-18-24, 01:34 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Just doesn't compute for me...if I've spent the hundreds of thousands of dollars on a Rolls Royce and a Range Rover, I'm not worried about MPG. If I'm happier getting in and out of a sedan, I would trade the Range Rover in on a flagship luxury sedan. Life is too short to drive an Accord if you don't want to and don't have to IMO. I can understand being happy driving an Accord regardless of how much money I have, if cars just aren't my thing, but I don't understand spending lots of money on cars and then not enjoying them enough to want to drive them so that I would rather drive an Accord. Thats just a colossal waste of money to me.

I see no point in letting expensive incredible cars depreciate in a garage while I drive an inexpensive car every day.

I get a ton of enjoyment out of it. The smooth effortless power, the incredible ride comfort and quiet interior, the great massaging seat, great audio system, the outstanding quality and feeling of driving such a great car that I've worked for and have always wanted. Why would I not choose to enjoy that every time I drive since I can instead of just sometimes and being afraid to drive it in the rain?

I'm not sure what your life circumstances are, but when you are a busy executive and have a young family...mental load is a thing. I have a *lot* I am responsible for, my employees and their livelihoods, people's properties, people's wealth and investments, the health of my businesses, the well being of my family...its a lot. Do you know why many CEOs wear the same thing every day? Because it takes one decision off of their plate every day...the decision of what to wear. Not kidding at all. Making decisions all day every day is exhausting.

So yeah, worrying about a third car is a thing...especially when its housed outside and I have to be concerned about keeping it clean and nice which I would be.

If you have interest:

https://fortunateinvestor.com/how-en...r-mental-load/

I bought it for its ride quality, refinement, comfort and its style. So, I'm enjoying all of those things to their fullest every time I drive it. I'm not a handling or power guy.

I was like that until I turned about 30 years old. Then, I just had to stop living that way. Its a car...yes I love it and I care for it and I want to keep it nice and I am sad when they get damaged, but they can always be fixed, and they can always be replaced. All it takes is money, and I have more money than I have energy to worry about things like that...so I drive my cars and enjoy them, park them as carefully as I can but park them where they need to be parked and don't obsess about it.

Worrying about this stuff makes your things own you, versus you owning your things.
🤝 understand. I’ve tried to buy his Accord hybrid from him to no avail but he will gladly sell me his Range Rover.

i didn't catch all the background, but someone with a rolls royce is concerned with mpg and drives an accord instead? how is an accord easier to get in and out of than a range rover or a rolls royce?

ha, funny how differently people appreciate things. while acceleration and handling can be exhilarating, like steve i usually mainly enjoy the ride, designs, materials, audio system, controls, etc. in addition to drivetrain and handling. i've enjoyed 'cheap' cars and expensive cars. as for never driving in the rain, i simply don't understand that, at all. in fact unless it's a deluge, i actually like driving in rain.

i agree with all this (great post). i wish i drove my lc more, but it just doesn't have enough room for what i need in the week so it's my weekend car.
His words about the mpg not mine. His lives very far out. He’s retired so only driving these days are to the store and doctor appointments which are 30+ miles away and to church.

I don’t like driving in the rain. I check the weather before I wash a vehicle and if it rains 1-2 days later I would feel like all my hard work gone to waste so instead I would rather drive something that needs a wash since it’s already dirty. Plus driving in rain slows me down

I get mildly annoyed if it rains on my car within a couple days of washing it, but beyond that I don't let the elements interfere with my plans. Hell, I only started parking in a garage for the first time in November when I bought this car. Every other vehicle has lived outside during my ownership.

I’ve always had a 2nd car since I was 18-19yrs old. I used to date this girl and her parents would let me park my car in their garage. Like they would take one of their cars out of the garage so I could park in the garage.
Old 04-18-24, 03:53 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

i didn't catch all the background, but someone with a rolls royce is concerned with mpg and drives an accord instead? how is an accord easier to get in and out of than a range rover or a rolls royce?

ha, funny how differently people appreciate things. while acceleration and handling can be exhilarating, like steve i usually mainly enjoy the ride, designs, materials, audio system, controls, etc. in addition to drivetrain and handling. i've enjoyed 'cheap' cars and expensive cars. as for never driving in the rain, i simply don't understand that, at all. in fact unless it's a deluge, i actually like driving in rain.

i agree with all this (great post). i wish i drove my lc more, but it just doesn't have enough room for what i need in the week so it's my weekend car.
He will definitely part with his Rover before he parts with his Accord hybrid. The Rover is a 2015 with less than 20k miles. The Accord is his daily although he doesn’t drive everyday. The Rolls is a special occasion vehicle.

Give me Apple CarPlay and a decent sound system and I’m good to go. Here and there while in the Prius I find myself driving slow because it doesn’t get anywhere in a hurry but it mostly only happens after driving something else with more getup and go. A lot of times I drive multiple cars in one day. About a week or so ago I had a guy waiting on me to bring him parts I picked up for him at the store. After leaving the parts store I went home and changed vehicles then I took the parts to him. 🫣

Far as weather, if it’s raining, sometimes I won’t go outside let alone drive anywhere unless I have to or already out. My wife likes to put an umbrella in every vehicle. She put an umbrella in my Honda. I told her we would never need it in this car.

I remember asking my grandpa (who lives on a farm dirt road) how often does he use the 4WD in his truck. He said never. I responded what if it’s wet outside and there are mud holes in the road. He said he drives around it. I said what if you can’t drive around it. He ended with I turn around and come back the next day. I laughed and said so you never use 4WD. He said I never had it before and don’t need it now.

My mom bought him a 4WD truck.

Me too! And in the snow. The car gets dirty...just wash it. I LOVE a filthy car at the end of a trip, covered in bugs and dirt because its evidence of having had fun, and then you wash it off and it resets back to perfect.

Someday it will be in a junkyard and you will be dead! So...enjoy it while it and you are alive.

And you have found something that you also enjoy to drive most of the time, you also have the room to properly house your cars.
Prius is the official snow car as well. Starting to sound like the Prius is my beater.
Old 04-18-24, 05:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
The Rolls is a special occasion vehicle.
does he drive it to church?
Old 04-18-24, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, same. The best is when you look at the weather and its "Sunny for the next 7 days with no chances of rain" then you get the cars all cleaned up and its "Rain starting in 20 minutes and lasting for the next 7 days" and I'm like SOBs! What do they pay you for?!? lol

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I don’t like driving in the rain. I check the weather before I wash a vehicle and if it rains 1-2 days later I would feel like all my hard work gone to waste so instead I would rather drive something that needs a wash since it’s already dirty.
Now this I will do! If my car is clean and the Pacifica is dirty and I need to run an errand, I will drive the Pacifica.

But, thats also something you have to largely let go. Its like when you have your yard all cleaned up and perfect, it will get messed up and the grass will grow. Cars will get dirty when you drive them...

I’ve always had a 2nd car since I was 18-19yrs old. I used to date this girl and her parents would let me park my car in their garage. Like they would take one of their cars out of the garage so I could park in the garage.
that kind of thing makes me really uncomfortable. I can't be comfortable letting people make those kind of personal sacrifices for my neuroces.
Old 04-18-24, 07:16 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Haha I agree about the road trip thing and the car getting FILTHY.

I have never seen our LX more dirty than after we got back home from upstate NY. A car wash is so refreshing, like having a great shave.

And to think people leave their cars so filthy like that? WTF.

Old 04-18-24, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I actually usually take pictures of how filthy they are lol
Old 04-18-24, 07:58 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

When we were moving cross country, this was the bug toll just going from CA to Vegas to Denver. We had a long way to go but hit a bunch of storms between CO and NJ so it wasn't that bad when we finally got there

I do miss that IS. Lots of good times

Old 04-18-24, 08:19 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

2nd gen IS models have aged so well. They looked great then and still do.

You had an IS 350 right? When that V6 debuted in 2006 it was so impressive. I couldn't believe a 3.5L V6 was capable of 0-60 and 1/4 mi times that good.
Old 04-18-24, 08:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

Yup, 350. Had it for 8 years and it was great. Only complaints were that the hood started to sag on the driver's side and the interior was getting a bit sticky towards the end there. My mistake was getting the GS after it because despite loving the GS interior, having the same engine + 6 speed transmission afterward made it feel sluggish. AWD GS's were stuck on the 6 speed while RWDs got the 8 I believe
Old 04-18-24, 01:02 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

does he drive it to church?
Not that I’m aware of. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Accord hybrid has more miles than the Rover and Rolls combined. The Rover is a 2015 and doesn’t have 20k miles. About 3-4yrs ago the Accord had 40kish miles on it. Thats when I was wanting to buy it.

I don’t know the details on the Rolls but sounds like it’s a guzzler. He took it on a 300+ mile roadtrip and I believe he said he had to stop for fuel twice. But he also said it floats on the highway. At one point he realized he was doing 120mph. 🤣🤣

LOL, same. The best is when you look at the weather and its "Sunny for the next 7 days with no chances of rain" then you get the cars all cleaned up and its "Rain starting in 20 minutes and lasting for the next 7 days" and I'm like SOBs! What do they pay you for?!? lol

Now this I will do! If my car is clean and the Pacifica is dirty and I need to run an errand, I will drive the Pacifica.

But, thats also something you have to largely let go. Its like when you have your yard all cleaned up and perfect, it will get messed up and the grass will grow. Cars will get dirty when you drive them...

that kind of thing makes me really uncomfortable. I can't be comfortable letting people make those kind of personal sacrifices for my neuroces.
🤣🤣🤣

I remember seeing my neighbor wash his truck while we under a tornado warning. And he parks it outside.

So when I come to visit, I take it your hospitality doesn’t extend to letting me park my R4P in your car and you move your Mercedes outside of the garage…you know so I can charge 🔌😁
Old 04-18-24, 02:09 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

lmao we have the exact opposite priorities, i'd get the F150 to help protect and preserve the 540... i can only imagine how BMW people would react to hearing someone say i got a lovely 5 series to keep the miles low on my pickup truck 😂
Old 04-18-24, 02:55 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
...i can only imagine how BMW people would react to hearing someone say i got a lovely 5 series to keep the miles low on my pickup truck 😂
It would look like this...

🤔. 🤓. 😬. 😂. 🤣. 😭. 🙈

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1