Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its a pretty bad wreck with both front airbags at least deployed. The damage is on the drivers side...looks clearly totalled to me. WAY more than a new hood and front end trim. Thats $25,000+ worth of damage.

Yes, 25K would probably total it. That's why admitted in my last post that you can't always tell a book by its cover. And I did not take the cost of air-bag replacement into account.

And, speaking of air bags, that is the source of a widespread scam-ring. Unscrupulous body shops sometimes contract with professional car thieves, who break into vehicles and run off with the air-bag assemblies. The shops then use the stolen bags and parts, then charge customers for brand-new air-bag replacements.
Old 04-28-24, 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Poor guy only had it 8 days! Sheesh lol
Old 04-28-24, 06:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

So I was playing with the Chrysler app today after I remote started it, seems I still have a connection to the 2020 Pacifica we had.s lol
You'll never deal with this bc all your cars are new, but old owner's stuff came up in the LX nav when we got it.

Of course I google it. A really nice low 7 figure neighborhood was where the dude lived.

He only drove the truck from specific places in S. Carolina and N. Carolina, religiously like clockwork.

Wanted rid of it for an ES hybrid. Very odd to me, LX doesn't even get that bad of mileage on the HWY, about 20. Clearly dude could afford it by the looks of his house.

But, everyone does their own thing.... his loss was my gain haha.

Just vehicle versus vehicle LX to ES hybrid, pretty huge downgrade.
Old 04-28-24, 06:49 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

My 540i had some stuff left over from the prior owner. Mostly just receipts for some warranty work done last April(motor mount replacement and new coolant expansion tanks, the common B58 issues). Prior owner's home address was listed. They live in an apartment complex nearby.

One day i accidentally discovered that the car has built in music storage. Somebody has a bunch of Beach Boys, some rapper named IG, and then a bunch of music labeled as Andrea Bocheli but it's actually the Bee Gee's. Very conflicted person.

Old 04-28-24, 07:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

My A8s had interesting info, both from high 5 figure areas and the W12 was from Beverly Hills and has a very interesting phone book that I exported. Lots of names on it for sure!

The 4.0 was from the high end Miami Beach area, 4 houses down from my LS460 actually funny enough.....

I always make sure to hard delete and reset everything on a car when I buy them and reprogram all ECUs to latest revision etc and also run a sweep with an EMI/RF detector to make sure there are no tracers on them. Never found one so far but I like to know that my cars aren't being tracked, I also tend to disable GPS and the modems for the same reason.
Old 04-28-24, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Wanted rid of it for an ES hybrid. Very odd to me, LX doesn't even get that bad of mileage on the HWY, about 20. Clearly dude could afford it by the looks of his house.

But, everyone does their own thing.... his loss was my gain haha.

Just vehicle versus vehicle LX to ES hybrid, pretty huge downgrade.
I think some people get to a point where they want to just simplify their lives. He was probably an older guy and the ES was all he really needed and it was inexpensive and easy. I see a lot of people trade in high end cars for something like that when they get to a point in their life where a car doesn’t mean as much to them.

In fact, it’s something I think about. Now that I mostly work out of an office vs being on the road all the time it really doesn’t make much sense for me to spend that much money on a car. It’s one of the reasons why I really think about keeping what I have. Paying $2,000 a month to drive something 17 minutes to my office and 17 minutes home again is hard to justify. When I spent the whole day in it that was one thing.

I couldn’t bring myself to really downgrade but I could bring myself to just keep this. I also think about something like an X5 or X7 or a GLS (I don’t like the GLE), but they actually wouldn’t save me much.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-28-24 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-28-24, 07:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I think some people get to a point where they want to just simplify their lives. He was probably an older guy and the ES was all he really needed and it was inexpensive and easy. I see a lot of people trade in high end cars for something like that when they get to a point in their life where a car doesn’t mean as much to them.

In fact, it’s something I think about. Now that I mostly work out of an office vs being on the road all the time it really doesn’t make much sense for me to spend that much money on a car. It’s one of the reasons why I really think about keeping what I have. Paying $2,000 a month to drive something 17 minutes to my office and 17 minutes home again is hard to justify. When I spent the whole day in it that was one thing.

I couldn’t bring myself to really downgrade but I could bring myself to just keep this. I also think about something like an X5 or X7 or a GLS (I don’t like the GLE), but they actually wouldn’t save me much.
Do you ever just drive purely to enjoy the machine? If you do that's a good enough reason to keep having a car of that level IMO
Old 04-28-24, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Do you ever just drive purely to enjoy the machine? If you do that's a good enough reason to keep having a car of that level IMO
Not really, but I really enjoy it every time I drive it and I still look for reasons to drive it. Love taking it on a long trip. I definitely get my enjoyment out of it, but I don’t know if I will get MORE enjoyment out of a new car than I do this car. Whatever I get it’s going to cost more than this car.
Old 04-28-24, 08:29 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Not really, but I really enjoy it every time I drive it and I still look for reasons to drive it. Love taking it on a long trip. I definitely get my enjoyment out of it, but I don’t know if I will get MORE enjoyment out of a new car than I do this car. Whatever I get it’s going to cost more than this car.
I understand you, sucks having something great since you never want to give it up despite practicality issues.

Perhaps consider a supercar to enjoy and a more normal car to use for your short trips? The super would be able to just sit around and make you money and be amazing when driven so you will still have a very awesome experience on demand without the overhead.
Old 04-28-24, 08:30 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Now we're entering a time loop lol
Old 04-28-24, 09:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, like Frank said lwe've been through this, 2 cars! lol

I'll either replace the S560 sometime this summer, or I will buy it out and keep it through late 2025...just have to decide what to do. I have some decent pricing from a broker on both the S580 and the i7 and 760, it really comes down to those three cars or what I have. Not inclined to do S580 because of the issues I have with interior materials and design, but I could get one about $400 mote than I am paying now. i7 60 about $150 more than I am paying now, 760 about $350 more (bear in mind BMWs are 36 months, Mercedes is 48 months so the BMW leases are much better). Those cars are all +/- $140k spec, when you consider thats $17,000 more than what my S560 was those deals are not bad.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-28-24 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-28-24, 10:53 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Found something a little odd on a google search. This is from a BMW dealer's website. Anybody know what's wrong here?

Old 04-28-24, 10:59 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Prius Prime and call it a day. Cmon back home 😁
Old 04-29-24, 12:37 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I particularly like torque curves from normally aspirated V8s.
still depends on the V8, and the transmission it's paired to obviously... the crown vic engine for instance didn't make good torque until like 4500 rpm, and then when it shifts only 1000 rpm later the revs basically drop to just above idle with those 4 long gears lol

i've actually seen manual swapped crown vics out drag marauders just by losing that slow slushy pos 4 speed
Old 04-29-24, 02:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

[QUOTE=AJT123;11714061]How are new Tundra sightings where everyone is?[/quota]

i think i've seen two since it came out. oh wait, 3, someone i know has one in another town near me.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Found something a little odd on a google search. This is from a BMW dealer's website. Anybody know what's wrong here?

assume that should be inline 6?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1