Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Nice interior. The steering wheel cap looks like cheap plastic
Its padded plastic, but yeah they are much nicer in leather. I don't think you can get the airbag cover in leather in the GLE or GLS, in the S Class its leather:

Originally Posted by patgilm
So frustrating to see such a good deal on a $140k car, the same priced Cayenne I built is over $700 more a month and I can’t find a broker for Porsche, probably because demand is so high they won’t discount.

As for your GLE, that color is so nice. I wouldn’t buy it in that color but I really like it and it’s pretty unique these days.
Try this broker I talked to, he does everything. The deal he quoted me on that S Class is below what I could accomplish by like $400 a month. I don't know how it will turn out but if I pull the trigger I can be the guinea pig.

Yeah I like the emerald green, I don't know if I would buy it either...
Old 05-09-24, 08:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its padded plastic, but yeah they are much nicer in leather. I don't think you can get the airbag cover in leather in the GLE or GLS, in the S Class its leather:

I wasn’t sure if it was padded. The leather S class looks better
Old 05-09-24, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah its padded, but it doesn't look as nice as the leather.

My wife actually floated the idea of getting a GLS and me driving it until the lease is up on the Pacifica and then her inheriting it...thats a thought...
Old 05-09-24, 09:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

My wife actually floated the idea of getting a GLS and me driving it until the lease is up on the Pacifica and then her inheriting it...thats a thought...

you like these?
Old 05-09-24, 10:26 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Steve can apparently take his family there for a lot less than $7000.
He can. Because he spent many tens of thousands of dollars on a DVC contract, and thousands more every year for maintenance fees on said contract as well as annual passes to the parks. Plus several hundred thousand every year in business expenses to rack up the Amex points for the airfare. That doesn't mean the "actual cost" is a lot less than $7000.

I've flown my family first class to Honolulu and stayed in a 3 bedroom, 2 floor penthouse suite a block off of Waikiki beach for two weeks for about $1400 out of pocket at the time of booking. But it would be more than a little disingenuous of me to claim that's what the trip actually costs.
Old 05-09-24, 11:13 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

The tires were aired way up to 44, spec is 31 so I lowered them. It really does ride nice...
on my parents GLE i once also "fixed" the tire pressures since it only recommends 45 psi if there's gonna be a serious heavy weight in the rear, the but the car started freaking out claiming even 35 psi was way too low... but i'm sure the "correct" psi can be adjusted within the settings

when my dad was spec-ing up the car i was very insistent on the airmatic (it's also not that much more lol) after reading many publications all agree it was a considerable upgrade from the conventional springs, hard for me to say if it's worked though since i've never driven a non airmatic GLE haha

also yes for just strolling around town it does approach S-class smoothness, but for any sort of prolonged highway driving it's clear why the price is so much lower... unfortunately the S-class is just too good for our backward road laws and ill-equipped drivers! for it to seriously shine you technically have to be incredibly reckless, so i really can't fault someone for picking a GLE/S and saving all that money
Old 05-09-24, 11:25 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I love that the first thing you hear in this video is a W12 start
i'm insulted that they'd claim the great dr. piëch (a man i have so much respect for he ALWAYS deserves that umlaut above the e lol) is "unheard of"... idk who hagerty thinks is tuning in to their enthusiastic car videos, but i'd guess it's largely car enthusiasts, who've undoubtedly heard of the guy

if inside the NBA suddenly did a segment on porsches then it'd be appropriate to assume to their viewers that he's an unknown lol
Old 05-10-24, 05:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Try this broker I talked to, he does everything. The deal he quoted me on that S Class is below what I could accomplish by like $400 a month. I don't know how it will turn out but if I pull the trigger I can be the guinea pig.

Yeah I like the emerald green, I don't know if I would buy it either...
The red interior is a bold color in an SUV it seems to work though.
Old 05-10-24, 06:05 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 815 Likes on 569 Posts

I see she's willing to move away from the sliding doors
Old 05-10-24, 07:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
He can. Because he spent many tens of thousands of dollars on a DVC contract, and thousands more every year for maintenance fees on said contract as well as annual passes to the parks. Plus several hundred thousand every year in business expenses to rack up the Amex points for the airfare. That doesn't mean the "actual cost" is a lot less than $7000.

I've flown my family first class to Honolulu and stayed in a 3 bedroom, 2 floor penthouse suite a block off of Waikiki beach for two weeks for about $1400 out of pocket at the time of booking. But it would be more than a little disingenuous of me to claim that's what the trip actually costs.
Yep, I have ~ $40,000 invested in the DVC contracts, and the $4,000 a year on APs lol

DVC is actually a good deal as timeshares go, Disney has a ROFR on resales so the values stay up, I can sell those $40k worth of contracts for ~ $30k, $10k total for all those vacations is a great deal.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
on my parents GLE i once also "fixed" the tire pressures since it only recommends 45 psi if there's gonna be a serious heavy weight in the rear, the but the car started freaking out claiming even 35 psi was way too low... but i'm sure the "correct" psi can be adjusted within the settings

when my dad was spec-ing up the car i was very insistent on the airmatic (it's also not that much more lol) after reading many publications all agree it was a considerable upgrade from the conventional springs, hard for me to say if it's worked though since i've never driven a non airmatic GLE haha

also yes for just strolling around town it does approach S-class smoothness, but for any sort of prolonged highway driving it's clear why the price is so much lower... unfortunately the S-class is just too good for our backward road laws and ill-equipped drivers! for it to seriously shine you technically have to be incredibly reckless, so i really can't fault someone for picking a GLE/S and saving all that money
I will have to drive one on airmatic. I have driven several GLSs and they ride great (all have airmatic). I can feel the shorter wheelbase in the GLE too, that contributes to the ride being a little choppier.

No doubt the S is still superior. Thats the thing, its not really cheaper. Optioned similarly to the $142k S580 a GLS580 is ~ $20k cheaper. BUT, the deal I have in front of me for the S580 is $27k off MSRP with rebates and discounts, while a GLS580 still commands MSRP. So, the S580 is actually cheaper. Leasewise too, residual is only 1% better on the GLS580 and the MF is twice as high, plus the lack of discount means the GLS is way more expensive monthly if you lease. If I did the GLS I would buy it and turn it over to my wife in 3 years though. If you go to a GLS450 then the residual is much better and a small discount is possible which makes it much cheaper, but its not comparable without the V8.

I really do like riding up high...

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The red interior is a bold color in an SUV it seems to work though.
Thats actually an S580 interior. Thats a cool color but I would get tired of it quick. I always go back to black interiors.

Originally Posted by Allen K
I see she's willing to move away from the sliding doors
Haha, how about that?
Old 05-10-24, 11:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I gotta say, I am really frustrated with Mercedes service. It takes so damn long. Made an appointment a week out, dropped it off last night so they would have the whole day to look at it...2:49 PM and it has not been even started, still parked and locked.

Got this text from the SA about 15 minutes ago:

Hey Steve, Just wanted to let you know they have not had a chance to inspect the car as of yet but i will let you know if they do
"If" they get a chance? They're not doing me a favor, it was dropped off the day before a service appointment that was scheduled a week in advance. Never in all my cars I have owned have I experienced dealers that just take cars in with an appointment and sit on them for DAYS before even looking at them. No wonder they are always out of loaners. Lexus or Chrysler I would have the car back or the repair would be well underway.

I can just see it too, they will look at it sometime Monday, and since the mechanic cleaned the oil up they will say "we don't see any evidence of a leak" and will give it back to me. Wait and see.
Old 05-10-24, 01:09 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many Mercedes dealerships are In your area? Are they any better?
Old 05-10-24, 02:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carfan94
How many Mercedes dealerships are In your area? Are they any better?
There are a bunch but they are all like this. On MBWorld this seems very common for MB dealers.
Old 05-10-24, 02:34 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Our friends have DVC. I like the flexibility of staying at a different resort every trip.

How does the GLS Hybrid compare to the Pacifica?
Old 05-10-24, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Our friends have DVC. I like the flexibility of staying at a different resort every trip.

How does the GLS Hybrid compare to the Pacifica?
There isn't a GLS hybrid, the GLE comes in a hybrid but this one is just a GLE 350. GLS only comes in I6 or V8.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1