Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 01:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Yeah only way I would drive a car with a stick is as a fun weekend car. The daily slog in a stick would get very old.
Old 05-13-24, 03:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your usual dismissive assessment ignoring the details. it was not for me in DENSE TRAFFIC every day to/from work. prior to moving to atlanta, i enjoyed it on wonderful back roads in pennsylvania.

it was a fabulous car, shifter, clutch, and yes, it was the legend gs! it was a dark green color with that glorious walnut / leather interior.

my distance to work was 5 mi. 11 traffic lights. it was impossible to do the trip in less than 30 minutes with loads of bumper to bumper. got REALLY old with the stick.

that was only happening at midnight or weekends heading out of town, lol.

i traded the legend for the gs400 and never looked back.

haha... i didn't have a driver's license when i left britain. my dad had had sticks and auto cars.
Yeah if that's what you had to deal with then hell no, my drive has two stop signs and plenty of open sections. I only have to deal with stick stuff when I go into town for something but I'm hoping my diesel will be nicer to drive/get moving than a normal 4 cyl.

If I ever get time to install the new engine....
Old 05-13-24, 03:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Jaaaaaaaag

This was my last car this prior week that I finished yesterday, a very fun ride. Reinforced why I like jag but man they are quirky.....

Bricked itself on the lift for no reason because apparently if you have the car unlocked with the key fob moved around from inside to a bench JUST at the edge of range it thinks it's being stolen. Very British and was annoying it decided to do it right at the end of my week and forced me to diag why lol!

Drives well, has rattles and shakes as expected and turn in is a little funky and it feels way larger than it is on road but SUPER fun. Very loud stock exhaust as well and has a wonderful scream at a full bore (at customer request, demanded I send it at least once to 140) 40-140 pull. We swapped cars on the way back as my house was inline to his so he got to play with the 4.0

Im happy to have it in my list of cars I service!
Old 05-13-24, 04:11 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Jaaaaaaaag

This was my last car this prior week that I finished yesterday, a very fun ride. Reinforced why I like jag but man they are quirky.....
a "jig-wah" as my friend will say lol

always liked the AJ-V8 engine, funnily enough i first got to use one in the ford thunderbird... i put my foot down and immediately thought something was wrong, and by wrong i mean too good for an early 2000s ford haha... it was only after a quick trip to wikipedia that i learned this car used a jag V8! since then i've always given more attention to that thunderbird

the XKR with that engine but bigger and supercharged must be a blast, and as always the ian callum styling has aged gracefully
Old 05-13-24, 05:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
a "jig-wah" as my friend will say lol

always liked the AJ-V8 engine, funnily enough i first got to use one in the ford thunderbird... i put my foot down and immediately thought something was wrong, and by wrong i mean too good for an early 2000s ford haha... it was only after a quick trip to wikipedia that i learned this car used a jag V8! since then i've always given more attention to that thunderbird

the XKR with that engine but bigger and supercharged must be a blast, and as always the ian callum styling has aged gracefully
You are riding traction control or smoke to 50mph lol! Active diff REALLY helps it though and I see why it's standard on the R cars
Old 05-13-24, 05:43 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Speaking if Jags, I saw one of these this weekend and thought it was awesome. I didn’t even know these existed.

Old 05-13-24, 05:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Jaguar Shooting Brake aka wagon. Great looking!
Old 05-13-24, 06:13 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
You are riding traction control or smoke to 50mph lol! Active diff REALLY helps it though and I see why it's standard on the R cars
lack of a limited slip is like the ONE important performance piece missing from the E55's comprehensive list of upgrades over the E500

they did a great job adding all these awesome heavy duty looking cooling fins on the diff but no limited slip, i almost think it's intentional since when you do lose traction with a limited slip diff things can go wrong much quicker... and the average new E55 buyer probably would become immediately overwhelmed by how suddenly the rear would step out lol
Old 05-13-24, 06:15 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Wow! That Cressida is amazing! My uncle had one of those, his was burgundy on burgundy...very 90s lol

Picked up my S560, that cures me of any interest in the GLE lol. The first time I put my foot down was a revelation LOL...
My wife just had a moment like that, she swapped one of my customers who lives nearly two hours away for his 2019 Stelvio and lord she went off with complaints!

Bad enough I had her drive the ML for most of the week but I took it in today to get its airbags done on my day off and she had the 4.0....

She also got her 460 back at 5pm and the first thing she said was that it does smooth and composed so much better than the GL, next thing she said was it's nowhere near the same league as the Audi lol!
Old 05-13-24, 06:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
lack of a limited slip is like the ONE important performance piece missing from the E55's comprehensive list of upgrades over the E500

they did a great job adding all these awesome heavy duty looking cooling fins on the diff but no limited slip, i almost think it's intentional since when you do lose traction with a limited slip diff things can go wrong much quicker... and the average new E55 buyer probably would become immediately overwhelmed by how suddenly the rear would step out lol
Yes it 100% was to make it safer is my belief, the Jag has an electro locker and it won't allow step out to occur unless you actually want it. It's not a true TVD like in my car but absolutely helps launch without stepping about in turns.

I've driven the S55 and it would be quite an event if it has a pure mechanical and you got on it even a little early in a turn or even a fast sweeper!
Old 05-13-24, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i didn't have a driver's license when i left britain.
I'm not saying you were like that, but don't kid yourself......that doesn't stop some people from driving.

my dad had had sticks and auto cars.
Being (mostly) right-handed myself, I'm not sure I could get used to shifting with my left hand in a British-market vehicle....although, as a pilot, I did get used to having my left hand on the control-yoke and my right hand on the other controls....except when I was in the right seat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-13-24 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-13-24, 10:54 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Speaking if Jags, I saw one of these this weekend and thought it was awesome. I didn’t even know these existed.

I love it.

Dam it's good looking.

Plus it's a Jag so I know the interior will be awesome too.

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Being (mostly) right-handed myself, I'm not sure I could get used to shifting with my left hand in a British-market vehicle....although, as a pilot, I did get used to having my left hand on the control-yoke and my right hand on the other controls....except when I was in the right seat.
Being you were a pilot, I will guess you could pick up left hand shifter fasting than most people, oh yeah. 🚁
Old 05-14-24, 04:41 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

I just watched the Car Wizard work on a 2013 Jag XF. All kinds of screwed up stuff resulting in a $10k repair bill but the best was the motor mounts were sheared off.

When the Wizard revved it, the engine looked like it was trying to escape the engine bay lol! Never seen that before.

Jags have always looked great but too scary to own.
Old 05-14-24, 06:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

A classic car dealer here puts a cool car in the courtyard where my office is, and another cool one in the lobby. This month its a 1992 Jag XJ6 V12...talk about a mechanic's dream LOL
Old 05-14-24, 07:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
A classic car dealer here puts a cool car in the courtyard where my office is, and another cool one in the lobby. This month its a 1992 Jag XJ6 V12...talk about a mechanic's dream LOL
I think Jaguar began to lose their way when they dropped their V12. Now, not more flagship sedan

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1