Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 10:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Saw this today at Ford. I dropped the rear tailgate, so cool as it is so heavy and closes with an absolute precision

Old 05-15-24, 10:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I remember when those were new! I liked the next generation better

Old 05-15-24, 10:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I didn’t even realize the generation was a year before ^^. I think the pics I took have a new frame.
Old 05-15-24, 10:30 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

This gen F series is my favorite. My Dad had a 97 F 250 in dark green. To this day he still regrets getting rid of it!

Old 05-15-24, 10:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LH1
This gen F series is my favorite. My Dad had a 97 F 250 in dark green. To this day he still regrets getting rid of it!

I saw this today too. But it was a crew cab 4 door. Didn’t take a pic. Maybe next time.

also saw this GT500. Spoke to the guy who delivered it in the F series and apparently this car has never been driven on the street as it’s only been used for the track. Truck and trailer are all together. Was in for routine service

‘’really cool to see.
Old 05-15-24, 11:03 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

F250 and above, now your getting into the "real truck" realm. Lol

The cab lights on the roof looks cool, IMO.
Old 05-15-24, 11:25 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I learned to drive in an F-350 of that generation, a crew cab with an 8' bed and a manual transmission. Turning it around was an adventure.
Old 05-15-24, 11:37 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Nope, it's PRK. My corneas are too thin for LASIK. PRK is still very common. You may be thinking of RK. My mom had RK done about 30 years ago and it reverted fairly quickly.

So far it's awesome, but I'm still recovering. I'm at about 20/40 and it strains my eyes to use screens too much. But I'll reach 20/20 and be good to go.

UV protection generally. 6 months minimum, but it's generally recommended to wear them outside for life(and honestly a good recommendation even for people without eye surgery).
I hate taking this off topic but this topic really is of interest to me. I've been wearing contacts for 30 years for near sightedness. Now due to age, I need glasses to read when I have the contacts on. I hate it. My doctor has always been against surgery even though he did my mother's cataract surgery. I think I may be too old for any of these surgeries. 50+

On topic, I always carry my sunglasses with me into the car since the last time I left them in the car they got stolen. The HUD on the MDX works ok with polarized glasses. Only have to tilt my head a bit.
Old 05-15-24, 11:43 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
The HUD on the MDX works ok with polarized glasses. Only have to tilt my head a bit.
HUD is a gimmick IMO.

A real driver aka seasoned driver can sense speed, ambient temp, fuel mixture ratio, oil pressure, and engine temp just from one's keen & honed in senses by listening to the engine and being ultra aware. 🧐
Spoiler

Old 05-15-24, 12:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
HUD is a gimmick IMO.

A real driver aka seasoned driver can sense speed, ambient temp, fuel mixture ratio, oil pressure, and engine temp just from one's keen & honed in senses by listening to the engine and being ultra aware. 🧐
Spoiler

you got me there friend. I was truly “fooled” once I found out the real truth.
Old 05-15-24, 12:16 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

oh yea i love the early 2000s SVT lightning, i can see why ford fanboy types prefer the previous gen F150 but naturally i'm partial to anything with a 5.4 supercharged V8! just wish ford gave that like a 5 speed manual option and a 4 speed auto wasn't literally the only transmission offered for 5 years lol

that engine also somewhat laid the basis for the Ford GT which is one of the all time greats in my book
Old 05-15-24, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I learned to drive in an F-350 of that generation, a crew cab with an 8' bed and a manual transmission. Turning it around was an adventure.

In an F-350, riding over bumps was probably even more of an adventure LOL. The last time I rode in one (our condo-maintenance company has a couple of them) it felt like the bottom of the truck was being pounded by a jack-hammer LOL.
Old 05-15-24, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

So I am rethinking ordering blue lol

With a dark color I would have to go back to washing it myself, the carwash swirls them up too much and it would bug the hell out of me. Well today I got home about 5:30 and figured I would wash my car, drug out the pressure washer and all my stuff. Yeah….not going to do that every week lol. I’m exhausted. I did wash, clay, iron decon, and seal it with Gyeon wet coat, so more than just a normal wash but still. Washing the car myself is a big PITA I really don’t have time to do.

So, has me thinking about going with selenite gray…

Old 05-15-24, 07:43 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

So I am rethinking ordering blue lol

With a dark color I would have to go back to washing it myself, the carwash swirls them up too much and it would bug the hell out of me. Well today I got home about 5:30 and figured I would wash my car, drug out the pressure washer and all my stuff. Yeah….not going to do that every week lol. I’m exhausted. I did wash, clay, iron decon, and seal it with Gyeon wet coat, so more than just a normal wash but still. Washing the car myself is a big PITA I really don’t have time to do.

That’s why I don’t mind dark cars because I won’t take them to a car wash. Here is how I think of it, it takes me about a half hour to wash my car and I don’t need to do the best job and it’s still better than a car wash can do and without the swirls (I used to work at a car wash back in the day). If I were to take it to a car wash it would easily take me that long with me driving there and then waiting in line, etc. That’s how I justify it, I’m not saying any time taking it somewhere.

Also, good luck with your order of a new car, I just bought out my lease today and don’t love the feeling. I like my car but really want something new and can’t stop looking at the Cayenne GTS but it’s not out until late summer. I wish I liked some of the other SUVs I test drove but I really didn’t like them for the money I would be paying.
Old 05-15-24, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

do.

You don't find gray to be boring?

Anyhow, having said that, I'll admit there are some very nice shades of silver and gray if done right. One of my favorites is the Lexus Atomic Silver....Lexus hit the nail on the head with that none. It has a sharp metallic-titanium look to it rather than a conventional silver. Another one of my favorites (I special-ordered it on my Lacrosse) was GM's Pepperdust....which looked more or less like dull-gray on cloudy days but was absolutely stunning in the sunlight....a darker-silver metallic with tiny gold-flaked metallic particles embedded in it that gave a goldish glitter to the silver. GM, unfortunately, dropped that color on most of its models a couple of years ago. Audi and Dodge, years ago, both used to also have a stunning Titanium metalflake light gray....and Audi really knew how to do classy paint jobs.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1