Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 08:05 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

the gray works well on that car, the selenite is a discrete classy gray and i think compliments a big executive car well
Old 05-15-24, 08:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
That’s why I don’t mind dark cars because I won’t take them to a car wash. Here is how I think of it, it takes me about a half hour to wash my car and I don’t need to do the best job and it’s still better than a car wash can do and without the swirls (I used to work at a car wash back in the day). If I were to take it to a car wash it would easily take me that long with me driving there and then waiting in line, etc. That’s how I justify it, I’m not saying any time taking it somewhere.

Also, good luck with your order of a new car, I just bought out my lease today and don’t love the feeling. I like my car but really want something new and can’t stop looking at the Cayenne GTS but it’s not out until late summer. I wish I liked some of the other SUVs I test drove but I really didn’t like them for the money I would be paying.
Im with you on washing, I just don't pull fully into the garage and hit them with the foam cannon and blower. My cars are smooth enough with ceramic and polish that I never have to touch them and the blower gets them dry quickly.

Here's hoping a car you want comes along at a good price/deal though, I remember having to deal with that when I bought new and didn't want to lose too much value on my trade!
Old 05-15-24, 09:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

That’s why I don’t mind dark cars because I won’t take them to a car wash. Here is how I think of it, it takes me about a half hour to wash my car and I don’t need to do the best job and it’s still better than a car wash can do and without the swirls (I used to work at a car wash back in the day). If I were to take it to a car wash it would easily take me that long with me driving there and then waiting in line, etc. That’s how I justify it, I’m not saying any time taking it somewhere.

Also, good luck with your order of a new car, I just bought out my lease today and don’t love the feeling. I like my car but really want something new and can’t stop looking at the Cayenne GTS but it’s not out until late summer. I wish I liked some of the other SUVs I test drove but I really didn’t like them for the money I would be paying.
I just stop at the carwash on my way home. Its funny, I love detailing cars, I'll spend an hour after I get home wiping them down with QD or a spray coating or sealant and doing the interior and dressing the tires and all, but I just don't like washing cars. hauling out all the equipment and all, getting everything all wet...its weird...

Yeah, I honestly should buy this car...but I do want something new...and then sometimes I don't! I am conflicted. I would rather not order a car, it complicates everything. Right now I have 6 payments left, I have always traded my cars in, but its only worth right now on trade about what the buyout is ($45k), and the payoff is $55k because of the 6 payments. If I turn it in, which I never envisioned doing, MB would pull it ahead 3 payments, and if I order now I would have it for at least 3 more months. BUT, I lose the sales tax benefit ($2,700), I will owe mileage penalties ($3,300 probably), the $600 disposition fee, plus I would have to buy a set of runflat tires...thats $2k...so turning it in costs me $8,600. Vs just waiting until November and I bet I can get $45k for it then too and won't be out any of that...but the dealers here locally won't work a deal on a new one on the lot anywhere close to what this guy will do on an order...it winds up being $500 a month more, and that eats up the cost of turning mine in real quick.

Honestly, I should wait.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You don't find gray to be boring?
Totally, but its easy, On the Pacifica I don't care because the kids and the dog beat it to **** anyways, but my car the swirls and all from not washing it properly will bug me.

I actually do really like the new white, it doesnt have the creamy hinge to it mine has in some light which I don't love...but if I got another white one nobody would know I got a new car lol

I really like how the white stands out and how crisp it looks. I have an aversion to paying $1,800 for white though.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-15-24 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-16-24, 05:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Yeah, I honestly should buy this car...but I do want something new...and then sometimes I don't! I am conflicted. I would rather not order a car, it complicates everything. Right now I have 6 payments left, I have always traded my cars in, but its only worth right now on trade about what the buyout is ($45k), and the payoff is $55k because of the 6 payments. If I turn it in, which I never envisioned doing, MB would pull it ahead 3 payments, and if I order now I would have it for at least 3 more months. BUT, I lose the sales tax benefit ($2,700), I will owe mileage penalties ($3,300 probably), the $600 disposition fee, plus I would have to buy a set of runflat tires...thats $2k...so turning it in costs me $8,600. Vs just waiting until November and I bet I can get $45k for it then too and won't be out any of that...but the dealers here locally won't work a deal on a new one on the lot anywhere close to what this guy will do on an order...it winds up being $500 a month more, and that eats up the cost of turning mine in real quick.

Honestly, I should wait.
I only had one payment left which was yesterday and my buyout is close to what I could sell it for so it’s not like I have much equity in it, maybe a couple grand at most.

The good thing is i just had my last “free” maintenance which included an oil change and brake fluid change which was actually cheaper than Lexus used to charge which was under $200 vs over $300. The other thing is my brake pads have over 50% life left at 30k miles and I remember them telling me when they were trying to sell me a maintenance package how much brakes were and that the maintenance package would pay for itself, bunch of BS but of course my wife and I aren’t hard on brakes.

It was just easier for me to buy it until I find something else.
Old 05-16-24, 05:59 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

If you have to pay nearly 10k to turn it in I'd definitely wait!
Old 05-16-24, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s not quite that much, the sales tax benefit is whatever as long as the deal on the car is right, plus I would also get a refund for the warranty I bought, so really turning it in costs me $2,800.

Waiting would mean an order would likely be a 2025 which I assume will see another $5k price hike

Theres no one easily right answer. The smart think would be to buy it and keep it a year or so, but I do want a new car.

Timing is just not great, inflation has made the new car much costlier and the cool
down from the crazy market has made the market for my current car soft.
Old 05-16-24, 06:15 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

I meant to ask you. Did you ever test drive the LS 500?
Old 05-16-24, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LH1
I meant to ask you. Did you ever test drive the LS 500?
Haven't had a chance to. I will, but my chance of getting an LS500 are really small lol. I have a pretty quiet day today, maybe I will today
Old 05-16-24, 06:28 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

Ah ok.

I'm assuming Lexus made incremental improvements since it debuted but I never visit the LS forums. I think you mentioned before you didn't like the way it rode.
Old 05-16-24, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I'm sure, and I have heard the ride is much better. They're not that much cheaper though, if I got one it would have to be loaded and its about $280 a month less than the S580...for that I would just get the S580. If I could get an LS500 for like $1,200 that would be compelling...
Old 05-16-24, 08:53 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

So literally my first day of owning my X7 my wife parks on the street in our culdesac because we are having some work done on my house and there were work trucks in the driveway and as I’m leaving for a work trip I see this. Yup of course it put a ding in the door and hopefully it’s in a place that PDR can handle, $160. So annoyed right now but doesn’t surprise me because of the way the trash guys fling the trash cans around.

Old 05-16-24, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That sucks! PDR will work fine there.
Old 05-16-24, 09:56 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

So literally my first day of owning my X7 my wife parks on the street in our culdesac because we are having some work done on my house and there were work trucks in the driveway and as I’m leaving for a work trip I see this. Yup of course it put a ding in the door and hopefully it’s in a place that PDR can handle, $160. So annoyed right now but doesn’t surprise me because of the way the trash guys fling the trash cans around.

No respect for other people's stuff.

Daaaang.
Old 05-16-24, 10:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is your trash pickup private or public? I would make them pay for it.
Old 05-16-24, 10:16 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Is your trash pickup private or public? I would make them pay for it.
Public, I already called and they sent me a claims form. It’s just the hassle of dealing with it that annoys me for something so careless.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1