Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-24, 04:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
The new floor jack I bought turned out to be a total waste of money. You can't lower it without raising the handle all the way to the upright position....which is impossible to do when it's under the truck lifting the rear axle up. Do not buy the Rengue 3-ton low-profile dual piston jack on Amazon. Ended up having to use the old scissor jack and hating every moment of it. Got some blisters from all the turns.
I picked up one of these last year, and it is an absolute joy to use. Does not have the release issue you had with the Rengue, you can lower it with the handle in any position. It should outlast my ability to work on cars. After checking it out, a friend of mine also bought one for working on his project Jeep CJ-5.
Old 05-27-24, 11:02 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Saw another white one a couple months ago, didn't have cell phone camera handy .....
Very nice car. It looks like a cross between an LS 430 and GS
Old 05-27-24, 11:53 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a friend who lives in Williams, AZ and I am going there next month, so I rented a Turo. It was an Accord thats’s 2 years newer than my Civic, but since my car is lowered etc, I prefer to rent a vehicle. The owner messaged me yesterday to tell me his renter folded the car up and totaled it yesterday. I’m actually quite sorry for the guy because I moved my trip back a week and he was completely chill about that.

Anyway, with Turo, I have some choices and I’m not sure I trust an Alfa Giulia. I see a C Class and a 3 series. I will figure it out but hopefully nobody folds the car up before I hit the road lol.
Old 05-28-24, 12:34 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I have a friend who lives in Williams, AZ and I am going there next month, so I rented a Turo. It was an Accord thats’s 2 years newer than my Civic, but since my car is lowered etc, I prefer to rent a vehicle. The owner messaged me yesterday to tell me his renter folded the car up and totaled it yesterday. I’m actually quite sorry for the guy because I moved my trip back a week and he was completely chill about that.

Anyway, with Turo, I have some choices and I’m not sure I trust an Alfa Giulia. I see a C Class and a 3 series. I will figure it out but hopefully nobody folds the car up before I hit the road lol.
Good call on leaving the modded Civic home for this trip. Arizona is absolutely terrible about maintaining their roads, including I-40 which you'll be travelling along. Massive potholes which made it a white-knuckle experience for me even in my truck the last time I went through there at night.
Old 05-28-24, 03:44 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Good call on leaving the modded Civic home for this trip. Arizona is absolutely terrible about maintaining their roads, including I-40 which you'll be travelling along. Massive potholes which made it a white-knuckle experience for me even in my truck the last time I went through there at night.
That's surprising to hear. I assumed big Western states like AZ and NV had nice roads.
Old 05-28-24, 05:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Dropped the S560 off to have the valve cover gaskets done. They called me Thursday and told me the parts were in, he told me he could take me at 7:30 Tuesday. So I get up at 7:00 and take it in. Asked him if they would be able to work on it today and he goes “HOPEFULLY today or tomorrow, we’re really slammed” I do not understand, he called me for an appointment. Why do they take a car in if they can’t work on it for 2-3 days?! I don’t get it. To have all these people driving around in their loaners while their cars just sit there.

I made them give me a GLS450 loaner that I saw sitting over there. The loaner guy says “we usually only give that to big SUV owners” nope…if you’re going to make me drive a loaner for 3-4 more days I want one I am at least interested in driving.

So at least I have something I might consider buying for a few days. I like these a lot, they don’t have an athletic bone in their bodies though. In comfort mode it is a total barge. It does fit in the garage though!

Old 05-28-24, 06:29 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

That's a really good way to describe them lol! Super relaxed
Old 05-28-24, 06:49 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

It’s kind of like the Seinfeld rental car episode, Mercedes knows how to take the appointment but not hold the appointment.
Old 05-28-24, 06:58 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Dropped the S560 off to have the valve cover gaskets done. They called me Thursday and told me the parts were in, he told me he could take me at 7:30 Tuesday. So I get up at 7:00 and take it in. Asked him if they would be able to work on it today and he goes “HOPEFULLY today or tomorrow, we’re really slammed” I do not understand, he called me for an appointment. Why do they take a car in if they can’t work on it for 2-3 days?!
There's a bunch of videos on YouTube about tech shortages at various dealerships. I see so many "Now Hiring/Tech Needed" signs at indy mechanics and dealers in my area. I'm guessing they're short staffed.

The GLS450 looks good! How's the turbo inline 6 feel?

Old 05-28-24, 07:34 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Surprised and sorry to hear your dealer is apparently incompetent.

What engine is in this one?
Old 05-28-24, 07:42 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

M176 I think
Old 05-28-24, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Why do they take a car in if they can’t work on it for 2-3 days?!
The most likely reason is that (sometimes) prior service-appointments from other customers are cancelled at the last minute or on short notice, and they just might (?) have time to get to your car earlier than planned. I've had that happen to me before.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-28-24 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-28-24, 08:08 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The most likely reason is that (sometimes) prior service-appointments form other customers are cancelled at the last minute or on short notice, and they just might (?) have time to get to your car earlier than planned. I've had that happen to me before.
He's had multiple issues with them with this IIRC.

It must just be a crappy MB dealer. I would rate ours as A+.
Old 05-28-24, 08:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
It’s kind of like the Seinfeld rental car episode, Mercedes knows how to take the appointment but not hold the appointment.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by LH1
There's a bunch of videos on YouTube about tech shortages at various dealerships. I see so many "Now Hiring/Tech Needed" signs at indy mechanics and dealers in my area. I'm guessing they're short staffed.

The GLS450 looks good! How's the turbo inline 6 feel?
I totally get being short staffed, but they should schedule their appointments with their staff realities in mind. Had they just made the appointment for tomorrow, or Thursday that would be fine. I can handle the long lead time for an appointment, what pisses me off is the car just sitting over there doing nothing for days after my scheduled appointment.

The inline 6 is smooth but it doesn't feel powerful or effortless, if I were going to get one for me to drive I would get the V8.

Originally Posted by AJT123

Yeah thats just how MB is, its weird. Not just this dealer either, I've tried a few and its a common complaint on the forums.

This is a 450, it has the inline 6. Its nice, but needs the V8.
Old 05-28-24, 08:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The most likely reason is that (sometimes) prior service-appointments form other customers are cancelled at the last minute or on short notice, and they just might (?) have time to get to your car earlier than planned. I've had that happen to me before.
Or they could just schedule dropoffs for when they can actually service the car. I have an issue with them prioritizing their convenience over mine. I'm sure thats what is it, they overbook so their techs are always busy and its more efficient for them to have a backlog of cars that need work vs having techs sit around without work, but as a high end consumer paying a huge premium for their vehicle and service thats not the right approach, nobody else in my experience does this either. Lexus never did this, Chrysler doesnt do this, Kia never did this, Ford never did this...

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1