Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-24, 11:17 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And the i7 benefits from that weight, its all in the chassis tuning I guess.

In this GLS, it wallows. Thats the big difference, it feels loose where the S Class never wallows and always feels tight. The EQS is kind of the same way.
Thats what threw me, it's exactly like you said and really struck me as GLS vs S class feel wise. The i7 is an unknown to me so far, haven't gone to drive yet but the interiors are a huge step up from how the 7 usually is.

I was not impressed with the 7 interior till now, before I always felt it was "5 series plus" not just outright noticeably different like an E to S or 6 to 8 classes.

EDIT: obviously if you load up a 7 it changes but I just mean the vast majority.
Old 05-28-24, 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

You should go drive one. Drive a 760 and an i7 to compare.
Old 05-28-24, 11:49 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
laughable.

steve's s560 appears to be about 4.2 seconds 0-60 (i think)
eqs 580 suv is 4.5 seconds.
hardly 'way way way slower'.

define 'refined'? the eqs suv is absolutely serene. yes i know steve's complaints about lack of carpet in footwell or something.
the EQS is a complete one trick pony though when it comes to acceleration, the faster you're going the less impressive the acceleration feels... whereas with the V8TT it becomes more alive as you speed up and just keeps pushing you with an unrelenting wave of torque, the "fun" part of the EV is basically done by the time you're up to highway speeds

i also get the impression that mercedes rushed the EQ models into production to meet the "growing demand" for pure EVs, having now been in multiple EQS's they certainly don't feel benz quality and the interiors have some of the cheapest feeling parts i've ever felt in any car lol (the air vents specifically)
Old 05-28-24, 11:53 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Some call the EQS the “Blob” At the least that is what I hear regarding the sedan EQS
it looks like a computer mouse

Old 05-28-24, 12:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the EQS is a complete one trick pony though when it comes to acceleration, the faster you're going the less impressive the acceleration feels... whereas with the V8TT it becomes more alive as you speed up and just keeps pushing you with an unrelenting wave of torque, the "fun" part of the EV is basically done by the time you're up to highway speeds

i also get the impression that mercedes rushed the EQ models into production to meet the "growing demand" for pure EVs, having now been in multiple EQS's they certainly don't feel benz quality and the interiors have some of the cheapest feeling parts i've ever felt in any car lol (the air vents specifically)
Exactly! It's just not the same type of rush or hit
Old 05-28-24, 12:20 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep! I’ve also heard people refer to it as a slug. (EQS)

I made them give me a GLS450 loaner that I saw sitting over there. The loaner guy says “we usually only give that to big SUV owners” nope…if you’re going to make me drive a loaner for 3-4 more days I want one I am at least interested in driving.
When I was getting work done on my RX. The Lexus dealer upgraded me to a GX 460 loaner from a UX, because of my height without me even asking me.
Old 05-28-24, 12:48 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

That Logitech mouse looks way better than an EQS.
Old 05-28-24, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

So I am enjoying the GLS as I get used to it. The base Burmester audio is terrible, the base Burmester in my S560 is much better, which isn't saying much. Would have to get the 3D upgrade. One thing I love is this beautiful open pore, matte wood trim:

Its hard to tell in the photos, but that lid that covers the cupholders those slats are solid wood, they aren't a veneer:

Also love the cooled cupholders. No clue why thats a feature not available on the S Class. BMW and Mercedes both seem to think only SUV customers like cooled and heated cupholders...

If anybody ever wonders if the GLS really is just a stretched GLE, the startup image is a GLE not a GLS...

Old 05-28-24, 01:00 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LH1
That Logitech mouse looks way better than an EQS.
will likely last longer too haha... i just replaced my logitech mouse that's been a daily driver since 2009, it still works technically but started doing random double clicks and not drag/dropping files properly anymore
Old 05-28-24, 01:01 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Yep! I’ve also heard people refer to it as a slug. (EQS)
actually i'm pretty sure you were the first person i've seen use the mouse analogy lmao... it's since become my go to for describing the EQS looks
Old 05-28-24, 01:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Got my tint redone, went 3M ceramic. Stuff the car came with had some scratches I hated so perfect excuse to update. Dad had the rover done as well

No joke the second I left the garage on a perfect day we had a torrential downpour for exactly the time I was on the road. I swear the weather spited me!
Old 05-28-24, 01:06 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

We visited my parents yesterday and my brother picked me up in the company Jag which is a 5.0 supercharged V8. I think it’s one more year with the Civic and then I go to a higher end car. The Jag is a better car to drive than to own. The infotainment system goes bezerk a lot because it’s a British car. The fit and finish is delightful and though it is not the fastest car on the road, there’s something about the sound of a supercharged V8 that is sublime. It pushes you back in the seat enough to make a car person grin or at least smirk.

I will probably be looking at an LS. I appreciated Steve’s review and comments after his recent test drive. I will also look at S Class cars that are pre owned. I like the idea of showing up at the German club in a German car. After all, I am a faux German, but fluent in the language and an S Class might get me a bit more German street cred lol.
Old 05-28-24, 01:07 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Also love the cooled cupholders. No clue why thats a feature not available on the S Class. BMW and Mercedes both seem to think only SUV customers like cooled and heated cupholders...
it's assumed that the S-class driver will get where they're going quickly enough that the drinks won't have time to warm up haha

my vote is still don't get the SUV... you already have the van, the world needs more sedans being sold, and the car companies need to think people still want sedans... people are starting to forget what a truly wonderful driving experience feels like
Old 05-28-24, 01:11 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by link13
We visited my parents yesterday and my brother picked me up in the company Jag which is a 5.0 supercharged V8. I think it’s one more year with the Civic and then I go to a higher end car. The Jag is a better car to drive than to own. The infotainment system goes bezerk a lot because it’s a British car. The fit and finish is delightful and though it is not the fastest car on the road, there’s something about the sound of a supercharged V8 that is sublime. It pushes you back in the seat enough to make a car person grin or at least smirk.

I will probably be looking at an LS. I appreciated Steve’s review and comments after his recent test drive. I will also look at S Class cars that are pre owned lol. I like the idea of showing up at the German club in a German car. After all, I am a faux German, but fluent in the language and an S Class might get me a bit more German street cred lol.
yes!!! especially in a luxury car where it very much sounds and feels like the gentleman's performance choice, the rumble and deep bass V8 sounds combine beautifully with the higher pitched treble of that mechanical whirring
Old 05-28-24, 01:12 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Got my tint redone, went 3M ceramic. Stuff the car came with had some scratches I hated so perfect excuse to update. Dad had the rover done as well

No joke the second I left the garage on a perfect day we had a torrential downpour for exactly the time I was on the road. I swear the weather spited me!
Looks sharp.

How's that GL450 you got doing?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1