Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-24, 02:02 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I have a friend who has a S-Class. While it hasn’t been a nightmare, there have been issues with her car. Hesitation starting up on acceleration which thet could never correct. And constant pairing of her cell phone issues. When there is a problem, it does seem t0 sit in the shop for quite a bit of down time.

What Mercedes did you have prior?
My friend had E class and GLS. Between oil leaks and HVAC repairs they swore Mercedes off and moved on to the Lexus 5.7 after going through 1 HVAC ($2500) repair and 2 transmission rebuilds in their Escalade.

Wife had C300?? in college. In all fairness didn’t have a lot of problems with our C class just a few electrical gremlins that would disappear when taking it in for service but reappear after leaving the dealer. 4yrs ago she was interested in the GLE and GLS. I’m glad that ship sailed. They were nice but wasn’t looking forward to the repairs.

My neighbor across the street had a S class and I remember seeing his car slammed to the ground like it was bagged due to the air suspension failure. He eventually got rid of it.
Old 05-31-24, 02:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

a manufacturing defect.
It's not, because both the LX made in Japan and Tundra made in the US are being recalled. This is an obvious design issue.

The old 5.7 had a pretty massive recall when it was new too so I wouldn't call this the end of the world for Toyota, as that ended up being a mostly bulletproof engine and recalls are merely precautionary safety measures rather than actual indicators of reliability (though admittedly the new Tundra isn't doing too hot in that regard either on sites like CR), but it is bizarre that they're so far limiting it only to the non-hybrid versions which have the same reported potential issue and excluding the LS500 owners. I am pretty sure those will all have a massive recall for the same issue soon too.

All this goes to show is that Toyota can't magically perfect something overnight that took other manufacturers decades to work the kinks out.
Old 05-31-24, 02:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Reading stories like yours is why we won’t be going back to Mercedes. Have family and close friends who have traded their Mercedes for Lexus. Toyota/Lexus may have shot themselves in the foot going away from NA engines. The only other Toyota/Lexus I would buy at this moment is the 5.7 or a NA PHEV. Interested to see what they do going forward.
What stories like mine? The dealership is slow. The car has been very solid and this is the first issue I have had with it. I will enthusiastically buy another Mercedes. Slow dealer isn’t a deal breaker at all. The longest time in the shop for a vehicle I have owned was 2 weeks with my 2015 LS460

Even if I wanted to go back to Lexus (which I don’t) they don’t make anything comparable to what I want…

My friend had E class and GLS. Between oil leaks and HVAC repairs they swore Mercedes off and moved on to the Lexus 5.7 after going through 1 HVAC ($2500) repair and 2 transmission rebuilds in their Escalade.

Wife had C300?? in college. In all fairness didn’t have a lot of problems with our C class just a few electrical gremlins that would disappear when taking it in for service but reappear after leaving the dealer. 4yrs ago she was interested in the GLE and GLS. I’m glad that ship sailed. They were nice but wasn’t looking forward to the repairs.

My neighbor across the street had a S class and I remember seeing his car slammed to the ground like it was bagged due to the air suspension failure. He eventually got rid of it.
Sounds like they were old. No question keeping a Mercedes until it’s old enough to have those kinds of repairs is a crapshoot. I don’t do that though so that’s not an issue for me.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-31-24 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-31-24, 04:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Everything tells me to stay away from MB outside of warranty. I believe their powertrain warranty is short as well.
Old 05-31-24, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn’t want to own one out of warranty, that’s for sure. I’m interested to see what this repair would have cost at the dealer and what it would have cost at my independent shop. I’m betting $6k at the dealer for sure.
Old 05-31-24, 04:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,229 Likes on 914 Posts

Everything tells me to stay away from MB outside of warranty. I believe their powertrain warranty is short as well.
The Audi options are much easier to work on.....just saying lol!
Old 05-31-24, 05:09 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

MB offers only a 3-year extended warranty at most, which is rather strange. BMW and Audi will easily let you buy 5 or more years.
Old 05-31-24, 05:18 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

My BMW is out of warranty other than the emissions equipment. Crossing my fingers.
Old 05-31-24, 05:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
The Audi options are much easier to work on.....just saying lol!
Audis…and?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-31-24 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-31-24, 06:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,229 Likes on 914 Posts

Audis…and?
Most German stuff these days is packaged better than the equivalent Toyota
Old 05-31-24, 06:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Ok. But I wasn’t really referring to any of that. So I don’t understand the relevance
Old 05-31-24, 06:38 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What stories like mine? The dealership is slow. The car has been very solid and this is the first issue I have had with it. I will enthusiastically buy another Mercedes. Slow dealer isn’t a deal breaker at all. The longest time in the shop for a vehicle I have owned was 2 weeks with my 2015 LS460

Even if I wanted to go back to Lexus (which I don’t) they don’t make anything comparable to what I want…

Sounds like they were old. No question keeping a Mercedes until it’s old enough to have those kinds of repairs is a crapshoot. I don’t do that though so that’s not an issue for me.
Our C class was 3yrs old. 4yrs old when I traded it in. We had an extended warranty on it. Not sure on mileage/age of my friends E350??? and their GLS. I want to say the Escalade was a 2017/2018. Escalade had under 70k miles. Now they have a LX 570 and they love it so far.

This^^ and I listen!! I rather not gamble thinking my luck will be better then you read on these sub forums about the new Lexus owner who’s tired of spending thousands annually on their Mercedes repairs.

Old 05-31-24, 07:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You want to have a warranty. Honestly I wouldn’t have kept the LS460 without a warranty either. If you want a car that will be dead reliable forever and if it ever does go wrong it won’t be that expensive then a FWD Lexus is a great choice, but you have to trade all of the sophisticated technology and engineering to get that, which I don’t want to do. I’ll happily trade some reliability for a better car.
Old 05-31-24, 07:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Our C class was 3yrs old. 4yrs old when I traded it in. We had an extended warranty on it. Not sure on mileage/age of my friends E350??? and their GLS. I want to say the Escalade was a 2017/2018. Escalade had under 70k miles. Now they have a LX 570 and they love it so far.

This^^ and I listen!! I rather not gamble thinking my luck will be better then you read on these sub forums about the new Lexus owner who’s tired of spending thousands annually on their Mercedes repairs.
I have always found it disappointing that MBs warranty didn’t include a powertrain component to go to 70K. In some markets the emission system is covered for only 2 years.
Old 05-31-24, 07:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

even my 'simple' 5.0L naturally aspirated good ol' lexus v8 is insanely complex under the engine cover.

but i do love the symmetry of the dual intakes.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-31-24 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1