Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-24, 07:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No car doesn’t need repairs. That’s a total fallacy. I’ve owned multiple Toyota vehicles out of warranty, cars that are less sophisticated than the LS and they too needed repairs.

If my Mercedes had a repair like this once or twice a year I would be singing a different tune, and it may turn out like thid, but in 4 years and 50,000 miles this is the first thing that has gone wrong. It’s not a big deal. This is also not typical at this mileage, this is the first one the dealer has done on an M176.
The repair you are having, it really doesn’t have anything to do with sophistication
Old 06-01-24, 07:19 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

No car doesn’t need repairs. That’s a total fallacy. I’ve owned multiple Toyota vehicles out of warranty, cars that are less sophisticated than the LS and they too needed repairs.

If my Mercedes had a repair like this once or twice a year I would be singing a different tune, and it may turn out like thid, but in 4 years and 50,000 miles this is the first thing that has gone wrong. It’s not a big deal. This is also not typical at this mileage, this is the first one the dealer has done on an M176.

I would never go back to something like an ES…

Oh that doesn’t surprise me, it’s a car lol. This is a real SUV with ground clearance etc.
"Real SUV" lol. Both are unibody. The GLS has 1.4 inches more ground clearance than the EQS SUV.

For the GLS to actually "be a real SUV with ground clearance etc" you need the off-road package which has historically been one of the most rare GL/GLS options ever. Next to none are equipped with it. In the past, it came with differential lockers, transfer case, under body protection, and gave you 4 more inches of ground clearance. Today, it gets you under body protection and an additional 1.2 inches of ground clearance.

Also, the GLS lowers on the highway once you hit 87mph and doesn't raise back up until 25mph. I'm not sure how fast you pushed it, but if you get the suspension in its highway-lowered state, it might feel a lot more stable and confidence inspiring. But it may not always be feasible to hit 87mph every time you get on the highway.

That said, I'm not sure if you tried Sport or Sport+ modes on the highway because these modes lower the car regardless of speed. Sport lowers the GLS by 0.6 inches. Sport+ lowers the GLS by 1 inch. It'll probably be a little stiffer than Comfort mode lowering at 87mph though.

Last edited by signdetres; 06-01-24 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-01-24, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
The repair you are having, it really doesn’t have anything to do with sophistication
No, but the difficulty of the repair is because of the sophistication and complexity of the engine. All of those turbo lines and all have to come off the top to be able to get access to the valve covers, and they are down low on the engine because of all that stuff on top which is what requires them to lower the subframe. If that were a N/A V8 that job would be done in a day with the engine in the car.

Originally Posted by signdetres
"Real SUV" lol. Both are unibody. The GLS has 1.4 inches more ground clearance than the EQS SUV.

For the GLS to actually "be a real SUV with ground clearance etc" you need the off-road package which has historically been one of the most rare GL/GLS options ever. Next to none are equipped with it. In the past, it came with differential lockers, transfer case, under body protection, and gave you 4 more inches of ground clearance. Today, it gets you under body protection and an additional 1.2 inches of ground clearance.

Also, the GLS lowers on the highway once you hit 87mph and doesn't raise back up until 25mph. I'm not sure how fast you pushed it, but if you get the suspension in its highway-lowered state, it might feel a lot more stable and confidence inspiring. But it may not always be feasible to hit 87mph every time you get on the highway.

That said, I'm not sure if you tried Sport or Sport+ modes on the highway because these modes lower the car regardless of speed. Sport lowers the GLS by 0.6 inches. Sport+ lowers the GLS by 1 inch. It'll probably be a little stiffer than Comfort mode lowering at 87mph though.
Unibody has nothing to do with it, Range Rovers are unibody, Grand Cherokees are unibody, Hummers are unibody. If you put an EQS SUV and a GLS up on a lift, the GLS has much beefier suspension components and crossmembers etc. The EQS SUV looks just like the EQS sedan, all the suspension components are the samer. The EQS SUV also cant be raised where the GLS in all trims can be, and if you want that off road package it exists where it doesn't for the EQS SUV. The GLS will be better in any sort of off pavement or snow application just because of the additional ground clearance. GLS has a much tougher double wishbvione front suspension that can take more abuse than the sedan multi-link setup in the front of the EQS SUV. Those suspension differences are what make the EQS SUV feel better on the road, but it makes the GLS beefier and better off the road. This is also why the GLS can tow 7,700 lbs and the EQS SUV can only tow 3,500 lbs. GLS is a much beefier vehicle.

If I'm going to buy an SUV I want one that has all that capability otherwise I'll just keep a sedan.

Also don't misunderstand me, the GLS isn't scary at high speeds, its just not as locked in as an S Class. Sport does help the suspension flatten out, and I use Sport in my S Class on the highway sometimes too. No Sport + on either car. Didn't hit 87, havent had it on any highways where the speed limit it over 55. I've had it up to maybe 82-83.

Fast forward to 4:42 for the shoppe segment. All the same suspension as the sedan:

Fast forward to 3:55 for the shoppe segment. The beefier underbody components are immediately apparent. Double wishbone front vs multi-link in the EQS SUV for solidity and strength vs road driving sophistication...

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-01-24 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-01-24, 08:41 AM
signdetres
Racer

I hear what you're saying but in reality, the EQS SUV can handle a lot of off-roading, more than you or most buyers will likely ever need. Check out 9:50

If on-road driving sophistication is important to you, and you're on-road 99% of the time, why would you sacrifice that and get something that lacks the driving sophistication 99% of the time just to have that extra capability for the 1% of scenarios? Doesn't make sense to me. To each their own.

Last edited by signdetres; 06-01-24 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-01-24, 08:45 AM
signdetres
Racer

The EQS SUV also cant be raised where the GLS in all trims can be
All EQS SUVs can raise their suspension height.

Old 06-01-24, 09:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

when i looked it up, it looks like gls has 7.8" ground clearance, and eqs suv has 7.1" ground clearance, hardly a big difference!

For the GLS to actually "be a real SUV with ground clearance etc" you need the off-road package which has historically been one of the most rare GL/GLS options ever. Next to none are equipped with it.
yup. the gls will be used off road even less often than the lx570.

of course any suv can get off the kids' muddy soccer field when it's been raining.

If you put an EQS SUV and a GLS up on a lift, the GLS has much beefier suspension components and crossmembers etc.
is 'beefier suspension components' important to you?

If I'm going to buy an SUV I want one that has all that capability otherwise I'll just keep a sedan.
your perogative of course but there's obviously much more to suv's than rock crawling and driving in 2 feet of snow.
cargo space/flexibility, people room, seating/step-in height, suspension travel and adjustability, etc.
Old 06-01-24, 10:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I hear what you're saying but in reality, the EQS SUV can handle a lot of off-roading, more than you or most buyers will likely ever need. Check out 9:50

If on-road driving sophistication is important to you, and you're on-road 99% of the time, why would you sacrifice that and get something that lacks the driving sophistication 99% of the time just to have that extra capability for the 1% of scenarios? Doesn't make sense to me. To each their own.
If I want something that drives like a sedan and basically has the same capability as a sedan, I would just stay with a sedan. To me something like an EQS SUV doesn’t have any appeal, I would just get another S Class. I don’t like how they look, they don’t have any additional capability over a sedan and the EV issue exists which is what draws me away from the i7.

I can raise my S Class to 8 inches of ground clearance, believe it or not lol

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
is 'beefier suspension components' important to you?

your perogative of course but there's obviously much more to suv's than rock crawling and driving in 2 feet of snow.
cargo space/flexibility, people room, seating/step-in height, suspension travel and adjustability, etc.
If im going to buy an SUV, absolutely. If I do it I want something that looks the part and can perform the part. I don’t need the additional people space or cargo space, I would buy it for its looks and capability. I like the GLS’ beefy looks, I like looking out over the long hood, I like the capability that it has even if I would seldom use it. An EQS to me just looks and feels like a minivan.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-01-24 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-01-24, 10:38 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Same thoughts here, if I get an SUV I want an SUV not some car on stilts that doesn't do anything well as specialized vehicles. If I'm driving on roads and don't have tasks requiring cargo I want a car since they drive so much better
Old 06-01-24, 11:48 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Your S-Class cannot be raised to 8 inches of ground clearance.

Your S-Class has about 5 inches of ground clearance. When raised, it is about 6 inches. An EQS SUV has almost 3 inches more ground clearance.

You seem to really love minivans so the EQS might be the perfect fit.
Yes he can.

You don't know what you are talking about, I use the max lift mode on my A8s when at shooting matches since they give about 8 as well and I confirmed this by measuring it one time before I sent the car up the lift
Old 06-01-24, 11:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Your S-Class cannot be raised to 8 inches of ground clearance.

Yeah it can. If you hold down the suspension rise button it will raise another 2 inches beyond the inch it rises normally, but you have to keep the speed under 20 MPH

You seem to really love minivans so the EQS might be the perfect fit.
Oh yeah lol
Old 06-01-24, 12:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks alone would be enough to rule out any of MB's EQ line. Ugliest EV's on the market and it's not even close.

The GLS actually looks good.
Old 06-01-24, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is an example spec I would look at

Old 06-01-24, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Looks alone would be enough to rule out any of MB's EQ line. Ugliest EV's on the market and it's not even close.
I'll agree that the front end of the EQS won't win any beauty contests, but my vote for Ugliest SUV/Crossover on the market (although, technically, it's now out of production) is the Toyota C-HR, although even it wasn't as ugly as the former Nissan Juke,

Old 06-01-24, 09:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
The GLS actually looks good.
This is an example spec I would look at
see i think that gls front end looks bad with those large (fake?) front side black round things. and the hood is needlessly high when obviously they can package the same engine way lower.
Old 06-01-24, 09:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

to show how ridiculous the front ends of large vehicles have become, the silverado is the worst.

someone i know is driving this thing right now.

look how high the hood is and how stupidly small the wheels look!

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1