Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-24, 08:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Interesting. Your 4R is brand new right?
3 years old now. But I have 3 other cars. One 10, 16, and 20 years old. I would replace one of the older models, or downsizing two of them to just one
Old 06-15-24, 08:34 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Subaru Legacy sedan. (Yes a sedan)
@mmarshall would certainly approve of that choice. It fits into his "real" sedan category.

Join the IS 500 club instead lol. We'd love to have you over there.

Old 06-15-24, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LH1
@mmarshall would certainly approve of that choice. It fits into his "real" sedan category.
\
and made with American Labour (sorry. Just couldn’t resist)

Originally Posted by LH1

Join the IS 500 club instead lol. We'd love to have you over there.
would love to have an IS500 with a V8. My days of having so many cars will not continue as prices have gotten so high. IS500 is a little too much money for me, but if I lived alone it would be the perfect car to go along with my new 4Runner. I was looking at the Tacoma limited prices and they are expensive so I likely will never but a new 4Runner going forward
Old 06-15-24, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Been mulling over a Subaru Impreza hatch
Imprezas are arguably the cheapest way to get a new AWD vehicle in the U.S. They also have one of the best AWD systems on the market....but lack the ground clearance of a Crosstrek, Forester, or Outback.

or a Subaru Legacy sedan. (Yes a sedan)
Better move at least fairly quick if you want a Legacy.....Subaru will probably drop it within the next year.
Old 06-15-24, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Yes and no. It has four doors like a sedan, but one of those low, coupe-like Humpback-Whale rooflines that are pretty much ubiquitous these days. Unfortunately, there are virtually no true three-box-sedans sold in the U.S. any more.
Old 06-15-24, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

The Legacy sedan is most definitely a sedan lol. The roof is not lis slung at all.
Old 06-15-24, 10:16 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

So I am finally putting a deposit down on a Cayenne GTS. My local dealer was at MSRP and the next closest dealer was at MSRP but said they would take $1,000 off. I was going to go with my local dealer since $1,000 off really isn’t much and the sales guy has spent some of his time with me but then I had someone reach out to me from the Porsche forums and had me contact his guy at a dealer 3 hours away and I was able to get a little over $5k off and it’s part of their dealers initial allocation so I’m going to put a deposit down today sometime.

I feel a little bad about wasting some of my local dealers time but $5k is a good amount off and more than the broker I contacted could get and I would have to wait until the demand dies down before he could even get a discount.

We will see what happens, I’m always a little hesitant to change cars/brands to the unknown but this one gives me a little more hesitation because I’m losing a decent amount of cargo space. In the flip side it drives and handles so nice. Wish me luck!
Old 06-15-24, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would give the guy the opportunity to meet the $5k off, that’s all you can do. It’s business, $5k is $5k…
Old 06-15-24, 10:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Legacy sedan is most definitely a sedan lol. The roof is not lis slung at all.
yup. Has. 105 cubic feet of space. It’s nothing like a coupe like sedan
Old 06-15-24, 10:48 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would give the guy the opportunity to meet the $5k off, that’s all you can do. It’s business, $5k is $5k…
I sent him an email since I am out of the country and can only receive incoming calls but I really don’t want him to counter. I have already talked about my build over the phone with the other dealer and don’t like the back and forth especially when I asked a couple times for a discount from the first dealer and he checked but they wouldn’t budge off of MSRP. It is business but I feel like Porsche dealers around here just assume you will pay MSRP vs. say a BMW where they get pretty aggressive with discounts typically.
Old 06-15-24, 11:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

@SW17LS

something new for 2024 MY

Old 06-15-24, 11:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I sent him an email since I am out of the country and can only receive incoming calls but I really don’t want him to counter. I have already talked about my build over the phone with the other dealer and don’t like the back and forth especially when I asked a couple times for a discount from the first dealer and he checked but they wouldn’t budge off of MSRP. It is business but I feel like Porsche dealers around here just assume you will pay MSRP vs. say a BMW where they get pretty aggressive with discounts typically.
No counter, he can either do it or he can’t. You owe him that opportunity for the time he invested. If he can’t meet it you have a clear conscience .
Old 06-15-24, 12:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

@AJT123 Saw this gem on the highway road while on our little roadtrip. My guess it’s no pavement princess.
can you say 'gas guzzler'?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. It has four doors like a sedan, but one of those low, coupe-like Humpback-Whale rooflines that are pretty much ubiquitous these days.
it's an aerodynamic sedan, pretty generic.

Unfortunately, there are virtually no true three-box-sedans sold in the U.S. any more.
times change, aerodynamics and efficiency are important now, and frankly, to most people, they look better, less BOXY.

It’s nothing like a coupe like sedan
ha, yup.

Originally Posted by patgilm
So I am finally putting a deposit down on a Cayenne GTS. My local dealer was at MSRP and the next closest dealer was at MSRP but said they would take $1,000 off. I was going to go with my local dealer since $1,000 off really isn’t much and the sales guy has spent some of his time with me but then I had someone reach out to me from the Porsche forums and had me contact his guy at a dealer 3 hours away and I was able to get a little over $5k off and it’s part of their dealers initial allocation so I’m going to put a deposit down today sometime.

I feel a little bad about wasting some of my local dealers time but $5k is a good amount off and more than the broker I contacted could get and I would have to wait until the demand dies down before he could even get a discount.
first off congrats! i'd still ask the local dealer to match or better, beat it. they'll probably say no thanks, but worth a shot, although i've no doubt the local dealer will still be able to see whatever they get. it's a porsche after all.

however, i'm curious how this works... you get the 'price' established with whomever you're buying from, and how do you make sure there's not going to be any 'games' once they get the car "oh it comes with the bubba protection package for $2k" etc.

i did ok with my lc500 however, worked out that deal remotely and i think because i was a thousand miles away, it had to be 'what it is' and there were no surprises. i arranged my own transport for half what they quoted too.

this one gives me a little more hesitation because I’m losing a decent amount of cargo space. In the flip side it drives and handles so nice. Wish me luck!
good luck! what are you going from to this? was it an x7? the cayenne seems pretty big to me.

something new for 2024 MY

thinking this is a canada/row thing and not in the u.s. due to stupid regulations?
Old 06-15-24, 12:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can you say 'gas guzzler'?

it's an aerodynamic sedan, pretty generic.

times change, aerodynamics and efficiency are important now, and frankly, to most people, they look better, less BOXY.

ha, yup.

first off congrats! i'd still ask the local dealer to match or better, beat it. they'll probably say no thanks, but worth a shot, although i've no doubt the local dealer will still be able to see whatever they get. it's a porsche after all.

however, i'm curious how this works... you get the 'price' established with whomever you're buying from, and how do you make sure there's not going to be any 'games' once they get the car "oh it comes with the bubba protection package for $2k" etc.

i did ok with my lc500 however, worked out that deal remotely and i think because i was a thousand miles away, it had to be 'what it is' and there were no surprises. i arranged my own transport for half what they quoted too.

good luck! what are you going from to this? was it an x7? the cayenne seems pretty big to me.

thinking this is a canada/row thing and not in the u.s. due to stupid regulations?
It’s not lol. Europe photos
Old 06-15-24, 12:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

It’s not lol. Europe photos
ok so not u.s., thus just tormenting steve. that was my point.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1