Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-24, 06:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Ugh, yeah thats unfortunate. I wouldn't have much confidence in the Lexus shop, I would look at all the reviews and get recommendations and actually look at their work
Old 06-15-24, 07:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

first off congrats! i'd still ask the local dealer to match or better, beat it. they'll probably say no thanks, but worth a shot, although i've no doubt the local dealer will still be able to see whatever they get. it's a porsche after all.

however, i'm curious how this works... you get the 'price' established with whomever you're buying from, and how do you make sure there's not going to be any 'games' once they get the car "oh it comes with the bubba protection package for $2k" etc.

i did ok with my lc500 however, worked out that deal remotely and i think because i was a thousand miles away, it had to be 'what it is' and there were no surprises. i arranged my own transport for half what they quoted too.

good luck! what are you going from to this? was it an x7? the cayenne seems pretty big to me.
Not sure how it all works yet. The sales guy at my local dealer is seeing if they can match what I got. I just don’t like stringing along another dealer that already gave me a great offer up front. All I know is I never buy extras and it isn’t going to start now especially on a custom order.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Speaking of new vs old cars in crashes my wife managed to crash yet another car in the form of the LS460 this time.

She failed to see a 2005 Camry and turned out and nailed it, broke all 3 control arms, the strut bent in half and blew the tire, subframe got shifted 3 inches to the pass side and totally ruined the wheel arch and door.

The LS needs a bumper, new crash bar (minor deformation), grill from scuffs and a headlight. The Camry was instantly killed and you can really see the massive difference 1000lb makes as well as a far stronger structure.

Side effect is she is now banned from my cars and will be leasing some ****box with driver aids from whatever brand is cheapest. The only plus side is the other guy had no insurance or license so he just let everything go unreported.

I'm never going to get this damn paint to match again

She clearly needs something with auto brake and cross path detection as the skill issue is real and she doesn't deserve real cars anymore.
Sorry to hear about the accident but I wouldn’t worry about the paint matching anyway as the bumpers on all of my past Lexus’ or any car in white or silver never matched the metal fenders/hood anyway. I could always tell. In fact it may actually match better after the repaint. My first white GTR was the worst, it had a number of plastic parts like the gas cap or the trim above the side windows that weren’t close to matching. Lexus was as close as you can get but I could still see a difference but I am more picky than most about paint.
Old 06-15-24, 07:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Speaking of new vs old cars in crashes my wife managed to crash yet another car in the form of the LS460 this time.
Side effect is she is now banned from my cars and will be leasing some ****box with driver aids from whatever brand is cheapest.
ugh sorry to see that. glad your wife is ok though (assume).

get her a cybertruck.
Old 06-15-24, 08:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

get her a cybertruck.
Yeah she is totally fine thankfully, that's part of the reason we drive stuff like this. Generally great in crashes

Full tank mode lol! Of all teslas that is the one I am most interested in since the bullet resistance is just very cool to me and I do have access to a solar array I can charge off of for free.
Old 06-15-24, 08:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

can you say 'gas guzzler'?

it's an aerodynamic sedan, pretty generic.

times change, aerodynamics and efficiency are important now, and frankly, to most people, they look better, less BOXY.

ha, yup.

first off congrats! i'd still ask the local dealer to match or better, beat it. they'll probably say no thanks, but worth a shot, although i've no doubt the local dealer will still be able to see whatever they get. it's a porsche after all.

however, i'm curious how this works... you get the 'price' established with whomever you're buying from, and how do you make sure there's not going to be any 'games' once they get the car "oh it comes with the bubba protection package for $2k" etc.

i did ok with my lc500 however, worked out that deal remotely and i think because i was a thousand miles away, it had to be 'what it is' and there were no surprises. i arranged my own transport for half what they quoted too.

good luck! what are you going from to this? was it an x7? the cayenne seems pretty big to me.

thinking this is a canada/row thing and not in the u.s. due to stupid regulations?
your LC500 is a gas guzzler too. 18MPG LC500 compared to 15MPG Land Cruiser. At least the SUV has proper all wheel traction
Old 06-15-24, 08:26 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Went out for a fun Saturday cruise in the mountains to get away from the heat. This picture is only about 40 miles from my house. Was having a lot of time on the winding mountain roads, the B58 just eats them up. Then some prude in a TRD Camry pulled out of a scenic turn-off and went 20 under the limit for the rest of the road, really killed the moment.

Old 06-15-24, 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

​​​Speaking of new vs old cars in crashes my wife managed to crash yet another car in the form of the LS460 this time.
Side effect is she is now banned from my cars and will be leasing some ****box with driver aids from whatever brand is cheapest.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You're really young still lol. At some point in your driving life you will make a careless mistake which will result in damaging your car. She made a mistake, it happens. Don't give her a hard time about it...it happens to everybody.

I agree. A marriage is more important than a vehicle.
Old 06-15-24, 09:01 PM
2GRXFTW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Went out for a fun Saturday cruise in the mountains to get away from the heat. This picture is only about 40 miles from my house. Was having a lot of time on the winding mountain roads, the B58 just eats them up. Then some prude in a TRD Camry pulled out of a scenic turn-off and went 20 under the limit for the rest of the road, really killed the moment.

Very nice picture. Too bad about the slow poke.
Old 06-15-24, 09:39 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
your LC500 is a gas guzzler too. 18MPG LC500 compared to 15MPG Land Cruiser. At least the SUV has proper all wheel traction
There is absolutely nothing practical about the LC500 and that is part of its magnificence.
Old 06-15-24, 09:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Was having a lot of time on the winding mountain roads, the B58 just eats them up. Then some prude in a TRD Camry pulled out of a scenic turn-off and went 20 under the limit for the rest of the road, really killed the moment.

Mountain roads scare some people. They are probably just taking it easy, to make sure they didn't lose it.

When I was in my early driving days, as a teenager, one of the places I was most scared of was the famous Uniontown Hill in SW Pennsylvania.....U.S. 40 coming down Summit Hill on Chestnut Ridge. That long hill is famous for both its views of the city of Uniontown below and its steep dangerous descent.....three and a half miles at an average 10% grade. I learned the art of downshifting on that grade to save the brakes. Those at CL who have driven it will know what I mean.
Old 06-15-24, 10:05 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

get her a cybertruck.
I hear that's the perfect vehicle for going to the mall and stuff. Haha

Scenic drives with cool mountain air, I wish we had that here in S Florida!

It rained for three days straight and cloudy all day today.

Sun will come out soon and so will the 100f temps. Lol

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree. A marriage is more important than a vehicle.
Wife didn't wreck the car thank goodness but clicked on a spam link from a spam Facebook message pretending to be her relative so I spent most of the day removing the malware and constant pop ups wanting a credit card for their ransom ware, like I don't already have enough work piled on me already. Lol

She felt so bad but mistakes happen and life goes on, it's just a car 🤓
Old 06-15-24, 10:59 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

you love to see it! but come on now surely with that engine you could've easily made swift work of the camry and passed at the first opportunity
Old 06-15-24, 11:03 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

aww man i hate to see an LS in pain i just hope that mechanically at least you can make it feel just like it did before, and be able to have someone skilled and knowledgable sort out the cosmetics
Old 06-15-24, 11:17 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
you love to see it! but come on now surely with that engine you could've easily made swift work of the camry and passed at the first opportunity
This road doesn't have any stretches where there's enough room and visibility to pass. Constant bends and peaks. And there was just enough traffic today that the odds of somebody coming around a corner were too great. I got around him after we turned into the next road.
Old 06-15-24, 11:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
aww man i hate to see an LS in pain i just hope that mechanically at least you can make it feel just like it did before, and be able to have someone skilled and knowledgable sort out the cosmetics
Oh it drives totally fine, didn't even lose a parking sensor lol! Technially everything works other than the DRL accent light and headlight washer.

I'm still mad about it though and it reinforces my plan to keep the rare cars away from other people. I'm buying a 1 of 79 car next week so that one will also be on the banned list.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1