Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-24, 05:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Y
It’s massive but as maneuverable as our LX570. It doesn’t ride quite as well but it drives better on the interstate. I’m impressed how well it tracks, honestly.
Its the longer wheelbase

This is cleaner and more modern but no thank you. 2025:

Screen is great how it is, at least 1080p. I'd rather have all the buttons and a smaller screen. It's great how it is.
That new interior is amazing! Huge improvement. That I might actually want over an Escalade, especially the refresh all screen Escalade...

Originally Posted by Striker223
Sure but my 100 stop is like your 60 stop. The tool makes a massive difference
Except that its not, on any level.
Old 06-18-24, 05:54 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Omg those fingerprint smudges are awful. I couldn't live with that.
Old 06-18-24, 06:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill

I thought this edition is pretty cool.
looks like a rolling ad for sherwin williams.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Omg you posting that bronco again made me realize that was a NEW one not one from the 80s/90s!!!!!
yeah it couldn't be a more boring design. imo of course.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A nice wood-trim package for the side would also be nice, like on the American station wagons of years ago.
you mean half a century. and oh god no.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
My buddy I track with had Silverado 6.2 now has a 3/4 ton duramax which he hates after only 1 month of ownership and it leaving him stranded 6hrs away from him in which he had to leave it at the dealership for 2 weeks is now in the market for a 5.7 Tundra.
ouch... gonna take a $$ bath if trading in a 1 month old monster truck.
what broke on the duramax truck?

Originally Posted by link13
My brother has a Jag XJ L with a supercharged V8 and we took that to brunch. I’ve mentioned the car here before. The Jag has ruined the Civic for me but all of the a/c problems don’t help. Probably in a year or two, I will look to go upscale.
i'm sure that jag is very smooth and comfortable. what's up with the a/c?
reminds me of an old joke... do you know why lucas doesn't make tv's? because they couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its the longer wheelbase

Originally Posted by LH1
Omg those fingerprint smudges are awful. I couldn't live with that.
omg is right... ugh... ugh... and piano black plastic to complete the magnet design.
Old 06-18-24, 06:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its the longer wheelbase

That new interior is amazing! Huge improvement. That I might actually want over an Escalade, especially the refresh all screen Escalade...

Except that its not, on any level.
That GMC looks amazing. But the Escalade interior looks terrible.
Old 06-18-24, 06:09 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

I don’t care for the new updated one’s interior because it has a humongous screen and it lost all or most of the physical buttons which is one of the things I like most about it.

This is cleaner and more modern but no thank you. 2025:

Umm, no thanks. Give me physical ***** and buttons!
Old 06-18-24, 06:56 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I wouldn't touch the 3rd gen Tundra with a 10 foot pole, given the issues. A recall on the hybrid engine is all but guaranteed to happen because it's the exact same engine built on the same line with the same parts. I don't think Toyota has figured out how to make it without the shavings yet.

If it were my money, it's either a 6.2 GM(assuming they fixed their rod issues and cylinder deactivation) or an F-150 with either the 5.0 or 3.5 powerboost. The 3.5 will tow better, the 5.0 will be simpler. Keep in mind the 5.0 Coyote, while a powerful engine, makes its power a bit higher in the powerband than other truck V8's. Still plenty of grunt though.
I'm definitely disappointed in the current situation with the new Tundra. I'm still going to look anyway. I do expect, as you said, the hybrid model to get the recall as well. They're just prioritizing the non-hybrid version for now. No decision is imminent, but if I were to take the Tundra plunge now, it would come at a significant discount and I'd go for a lease rather than a purchase to limit long term exposure.

With that said, I really want to like the Sierra. My concern is that it's the Denali version that appeals to me, and the payload on the Denali doesn't represent a significant enough boost over what I have now. I would need to consider a 2500 which feels like more truck than I want, though I have no doubt it would radically improve my towing enjoyment.

I would not have considered the GM trucks if they had not updated the interiors. I really like this:

I also like the idea of Super Cruise. Oddly enough, the biggest disappointment that I have is the inability to get a pano sunroof.

I do intend to check out the F-150, most likely with the 3.5 Ecoboost and the Max Tow package. I've built a few online to research prices and options, but at this point I need to just head over to the local Ford dealer and take one out for a drive.
Old 06-18-24, 07:06 AM
2GRXFTW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with everyone who couldn't live with the fingerprints across that massive screen.

Denali interior looks very nice. Now I'm curious as what the rest of the inside looks like.

GM has been upping their game lately, which is nice to see. Can't say the same about Toyota.
Old 06-18-24, 07:40 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm sure that jag is very smooth and comfortable. what's up with the a/c?
reminds me of an old joke... do you know why lucas doesn't make tv's? because they couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.
The Jag is smooth and comfortable indeed. It is a 2017 and only has 25K miles on it so it doesn’t leak oil….yet.

For the a/c, in their infinite wisdom, Honda changed the a/c propellant from R134a to R1234yf. It’s supposedly more eco friendly, it’s definitely more expensive, but the downside is it’s also corrosive. Honda has an extended warranty on some a/c components. I had the work done on my car and on my folks’ 2016. They replaced an a/c compressor seal and the condenser. The remaining failure item is the evaporator. The one in my folks’ car is faulty so it’s a matter of time for mine. The evaporator is not covered under warranty and it’s a $2100 job. The dash has to come out.

I opted not to buy the 2016 IS because LFS does not negotiate lease buyouts and the residual was greater than the car’s actual value. I figured the Civic would be a reliable interim car. It’s had more issues than I was prepared for (there was a fuel pump recall before the a/c started blowing warm air) and I am disappointed with Honda’s handling of it. This is my first Honda and it will be my last.

Old 06-18-24, 07:44 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

...This is my first Honda and it will be my last.
I lost all faith in Honda when my ex gfs Honda civic blew a head gasket at 99k miles.

And feeling bad for her, I paid for it.
Old 06-18-24, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
​​​A nice wood-trim package for the side would also be nice, like on the American station wagons of years ago.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you mean half a century. and oh god no.
So what's the difference between rainbow-stripes a half century old and woody-exterior trim a half century old? We're not talking about two different clocks here LOL.

Old 06-18-24, 08:00 AM
2GRXFTW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think wood-paneling would be a nice option. I'd certainly get it on a vehicle. Always was a big fan of the old Wagoneer.

And too bad about the Hondas. Like Toyota, they have seen much better days as far as quality goes.
Old 06-18-24, 08:46 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

For the a/c, in their infinite wisdom, Honda changed the a/c propellant from R134a to R1234yf. It’s supposedly more eco friendly, it’s definitely more expensive, but the downside is it’s also corrosive.
Their "infinite wisdom" was the decision to continue selling automobiles equipped with air conditioning.

As of January 1, 2021, the United States Environmental Protection Agency mandated that all passenger cars and light-duty trucks coming off the assembly lines must utilize R-1234yf as their HVAC system refrigerant. The European Union forced this changeover on January 1 of the previous year.

Like all manufacturers, following the regulation announcement in 2012, Honda did the changeover on a rolling basis. So the Civic switched to r1234yf with the launch of the 10th gen for MY2016, and the accord for its 10th gen in MY2018.
Old 06-18-24, 09:28 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by geko29
Their "infinite wisdom" was the decision to continue selling automobiles equipped with air conditioning.

Like all manufacturers, following the regulation announcement in 2012, Honda did the changeover on a rolling basis. So the Civic switched to r1234yf with the launch of the 10th gen for MY2016, and the accord for its 10th gen in MY2018.
Somehow, Toyota and Lexus manage to do that with 134a. As far as r1234yf, is it still more eco friendly if it corrodes a closed loop system and all of it leaks out?

Whatever the reasoning, we end up with a/c that eventually stops working. I understand that there’s potential for failure with anything. Honda’s **** poor handling of the situation is why I won’t buy another Honda.

The propellant itself is a poor choice and granted, the mandate is not Honda’s fault, but they need to stand behind their cars.

Last edited by link13; 06-18-24 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-18-24, 10:18 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

My 2015 F-150 is right before the transition so it's still using r134a.

Pretty sure the BMW uses the new stuff. Heaven forbid i need to have it recharged lol.
Old 06-18-24, 10:42 AM
link13
Lead Lap

It seems like using a propellant that is corrosive was a decision made without actually understanding what the new propellant is.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1