Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-24, 02:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

saw the new 550 today. I didn’t care for it at the auto show but in the real world and in the wild, Lexus nailed it.
Old 06-18-24, 02:35 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Ugh, so old school and dated looking. New one os a big improvement IMO
This is where I'm with AJT, I prefer the "old" setup. Give me buttons and dials.
Old 06-18-24, 03:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
This is where I'm with AJT, I prefer the "old" setup. Give me buttons and dials.
The thing is, I use those buttons!!! I just was earlier on the way home going through songs. Noticed how nice it is to not take your eyes off the road.

I've said this before but I love how there are literally 3 ways to do something in this truck. It's fail safe.

That screen is as sharp and vivid as the competition, and fast.

Also love the climate control all physical buttons and dials, but you can go through the screen if you want.
Old 06-18-24, 03:12 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Um, no they didn't. Toyota started their transition with the MY2016 Prius, Tacoma, and RX. Every vehicle introduced or significantly revised since then has made the switch. I missed that the deadline had been delayed to 2025, so it is possible they still have a couple of stragglers.

Here's a Lexus service bulletinregarding the compressor oil for R1234yf-equipped ES, LC, LS, and UX models starting with MY2018. here's a used R1234yf evaporator coil from an NX.

Corrosion can certainly be a problem, especially if an incompatible lubricant is used or water gets into the system. But to directly answer your question, since 1234yf is so reactive, virgin gas released into the atmosphere only survives for on average 11 days, vs. over a decade for RF134a. So even assuming that none of that reactivity had already occurred during the process of corrosion but prior to the leak (itself highly unlikely), it would take close to 500 1234yf system leaks to have the same impact as one 134a leak. Realistically, the actual number is likely to be in the thousands or tens of thousands.

Personally, I think we should just use propane. It's an excellent refrigerant, and is not a greenhouse gas. But nobody listens to me.
I will hopefully kindly restate my point that Honda is not doing an even passable job of standing behind their cars. I acknowledge that I was uninformed about Toyota and Lexus also changing the the propellant and was uninformed about the overall mandate.

I have never had a car where the a/c craps out in less than 4 years of ownership. As much as I liked having my a/c blow warm air in my face, at least now I know there was an eco friendly reason for it. The biggest complaint is the fact that the propellant also causes leaks in the evaporator and Honda is not honoring that under the extended warranty. I mentioned that my folks have a 2016 and theirs is a touring sedan. Apparently it's their fault that the evaporator is leaking and it's $2100. My car is 3 years newer so it's just a matter of time. We're just going to recharge the systems in both cars when the a/c starts blowing warm air again. Pretty enviro friendly, don't ya think?

I am 1-2 years from dumping the Civic anyway.
Old 06-18-24, 03:14 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

ouch... gonna take a $$ bath if trading in a 1 month old monster truck.
what broke on the duramax truck?

Something with the TCM (transmission) and DEF fluid not showing full when it’s full. It left him stranded 6hrs away from home. He had to rent a truck and trailer to get back home while he left his duramax at the dealership for them to figure out.

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill

saw the new 550 today. I didn’t care for it at the auto show but in the real world and in the wild, Lexus nailed it.
The inside seemed small to me(LX owner).

Originally Posted by JDR76
Drove a new Tundra I-Force MAX long bed in Platinum trim today, followed by a GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate with the 6.2L V8. I’ll be writing up my thoughts and impressions soon. I need a little more time to digest…

I stopped by the local Ford dealer as well, curious about the F-150s. I can’t pinpoint what it is exactly, but I just wasn’t impressed and moved on.

Short story is that this is the current front runner (pending an update on my Tundra which is currently in the shop).

(I just noticed the Cybertruck photobomb)

I just told my buddy about you wanting to switch from Tundra to GMC. He went from Sierra 6.2 couple to now currently has a 3/4 ton Duramax that he’s looking to get out of for a Tundra like yours.
Old 06-18-24, 03:15 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by link13
I will hopefully kindly restate my point that Honda is not doing an even passable job of standing behind their cars. I acknowledge that I was uninformed about Toyota and Lexus also changing the the propellant and was uninformed about the overall mandate.

I have never had a car where the a/c craps out in less than 4 years of ownership. As much as I liked having my a/c blow warm air in my face, at least now I know there was an eco friendly reason for it. The biggest complaint is the fact that the propellant also causes leaks in the evaporator and Honda is not honoring that under the extended warranty. I mentioned that my folks have a 2016 and theirs is a touring sedan. Apparently it's their fault that the evaporator is leaking and it's $2100. My car is 3 years newer so it's just a matter of time. We're just going to recharge the systems in both cars when the a/c starts blowing warm air again. Pretty enviro friendly, don't ya think?

I am 1-2 years from dumping the Civic anyway.
I don't think he's defending Honda, just saying that it's not just the fact that they went to r1234yf that caused this. It's that they didn't do their due diligence in designing a system that can work with it.
Old 06-18-24, 03:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Honda has always had weak A/C, just from my experience.

Old 06-18-24, 03:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
The thing is, I use those buttons!!! I just was earlier on the way home going through songs. Noticed how nice it is to not take your eyes off the road.

I've said this before but I love how there are literally 3 ways to do something in this truck. It's fail safe.

That screen is as sharp and vivid as the competition, and fast.

Also love the climate control all physical buttons and dials, but you can go through the screen if you want.
You still have buttons to go through songs, they're on the steering wheel. I just don't see the allure of having 3 ways to do everything, just makes the dash look so cluttered.
Old 06-18-24, 03:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I just told my buddy about you wanting to switch from Tundra to GMC. He went from Sierra 6.2 couple to now currently has a 3/4 ton Duramax that he’s looking to get out of for a Tundra like yours.
I would either lease it or buy an extended warranty, but to be fair, my reliable Tundra is in the shop, out of commission. No word yet on when I will get it back.
Old 06-18-24, 03:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've said it before, nobody makes trucks like the Big 3.
Old 06-18-24, 03:59 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I've said it before, nobody makes trucks like the Big 3.
If you can look past their reliability and quality
Old 06-18-24, 04:07 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

@AMIRZA786 @bitkahuna @Hameed @LeX2K @swajames Doesn’t this machine sound amazing????

I know at least 2 others that may agree @AJT123 @Striker223
Old 06-18-24, 04:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
If you can look past their reliability and quality
Reliability and quality are very good. All those fleets out there using American trucks aren’t using unreliable vehicles. All those livery services operating the SUV versions of those trucks, same thing.

If I were shopping for a pickup or large SUV I wouldn’t even consider any Toyotas.
Old 06-18-24, 04:30 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Mine has 108,000 miles on it. It's had a starter failure and a leaky coolant pipe o-ring($10, 15 minute fix in my driveway). I've spent less than $600 on actual repairs in 7 years. All other maintenance has been regular scheduled maintenance.

If I had a time machine I'd make the same choice again.
Old 06-18-24, 04:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I got a call from my dealer. Creaking was caused by a loose TRD skid plate, which they’ll re-torque down. They ordered a new rear differential gasket, so they’ll replace that when parts come in. Should have my truck in a few days.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1