Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 04:49 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah, I can safely say I have never left Ocean City in a snowstorm lol, I can check that one off my list!
Yeah that hood ornament made me cry too, lol.

Yours is 4matic, right? Weren't all 560s? Because those are also beasts in snow. That S-Class I thought I was going to get to flog around (I just rode, didn't drive--unfortunately) is AWD and my friend got everywhere yesterday no problem.

We do have plows and salt etc, just not on a huge scale. The main roads are probably plowed and the interstate I'm sure is moving.
Old 01-16-24, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

prefer the silver frame. the plate is so ugly i don't think it looks good with the black frame.
Old 01-16-24, 09:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Still pretty ugly out here today too, we let the staff all work from home but I had to go out this morning to an appointment...

My poor car lol, this is the filthy window:

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
prefer the silver frame. the plate is so ugly i don't think it looks good with the black frame.
Yeah we don't have good plate options in MD, that one is the best out of all of them. This is the standard plate:

Old 01-16-24, 11:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

wonder what they were thinking with that design... kinda looks like race checkered flags (yellow black) and no idea what the red/white part is.
Old 01-16-24, 11:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

wonder what they were thinking with that design... kinda looks like race checkered flags (yellow black) and no idea what the red/white part is.
Looks like the Maryland state flag:

Old 01-16-24, 11:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

On a different note, I have long been an enthusiast of auto detailing. I've always kept my cars super clean. I do my own detailing, ceramic coating, etc. and quite enjoy it as a hobby. In the past few years, I've started to lose my enjoyment of it. I think with my career in full steam, the kids engaged in sports and various activities, and having a sizeable yard to care for, I just ran out of time to be involved with it anymore.

Like much of the country, the Seattle area was hit with some cold weather this week. We got down to 13 degrees at our house, which is definitely not typical of our winter weather.

We stayed home this weekend, which gave me some time to head out to the garage and clean both the Highlander (it was a disaster!) as well as my GS. The poor Tundra sits outside and is still a mess. It doesn't fit in the garage (with the door closed).

The Highlander cleaned up nicely!

The GS wasn't such a project, but of course it came out well too.

Old 01-16-24, 12:18 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

Look up the NJ default plate. Looks like it was based off some yellow snow
Old 01-16-24, 12:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its the MD flag, Marylanders are obsessed with the flag to a strange degree lol. This is the other option!

We used to have a nice clean white plate, but no more:

Originally Posted by JDR76
On a different note, I have long been an enthusiast of auto detailing. I've always kept my cars super clean. I do my own detailing, ceramic coating, etc. and quite enjoy it as a hobby. In the past few years, I've started to lose my enjoyment of it. I think with my career in full steam, the kids engaged in sports and various activities, and having a sizeable yard to care for, I just ran out of time to be involved with it anymore.

Like much of the country, the Seattle area was hit with some cold weather this week. We got down to 13 degrees at our house, which is definitely not typical of our winter weather.

We stayed home this weekend, which gave me some time to head out to the garage and clean both the Highlander (it was a disaster!) as well as my GS. The poor Tundra sits outside and is still a mess. It doesn't fit in the garage (with the door closed).

Lookin good! I love detailing too, it is hard to find the time though.
Old 01-16-24, 01:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I always thought the more plain Maryland license plates were classy. I like the crest too.
Old 01-16-24, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Same here! Long gone though
Old 01-16-24, 01:53 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

Looks good
Old 01-16-24, 02:27 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

I think the current MD plate looks great with the prominent state flag. Much better than the MD plates I remember when I was a kid.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is the other option!
​​​​​​Wow I've never seen that one. That seems like more of a Midwest (Illinois, Wisconsin) type of option. Usually its the "Save the Chesapaeake" one with the bird on it.
Old 01-16-24, 02:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, its very orange!
Old 01-16-24, 02:34 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Maybe those plates are more common in way western MD?

MD is by far the oddest looking state on a map in the country. I've never been out that way.

Last edited by LH1; 01-16-24 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-16-24, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They're not that common in general, you only see them every once and a while

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1