Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-24, 12:53 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
had to run a couple of errands today and decided to take the LC. got some love on the route.

stopped one place a huge van pulled in behind. driver was out of the vehicle when i got out and he said "that's the prettiest car on the road." then he said "and sounds awesome too". i laughed and said thanks.

then went to my barber for only the second time recently after years of break due to covid and just using clippers myself... and we were talking cars and i said "yeah, i'm driving my 'covid car' today... got it because wasn't sure what the future held during the dark days there or if we'd have another, worse, pandemic in the future." he wanted to see it so we went out and he had no idea what it was, but was drooling over it, haha.

then pulled up to a light and two guys on huge custom harleys were next to me and one yelled at me (not mad) and i opened the window. he said "you wanna do a trade?" i laughed and he said "that's great how many horsepower?!" i told him and off i zoomed with some cracking shifts.
You have a gem!!
Old 06-21-24, 01:43 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

had to run a couple of errands today and decided to take the LC. got some love on the route.

stopped one place a huge van pulled in behind. driver was out of the vehicle when i got out and he said "that's the prettiest car on the road." then he said "and sounds awesome too". i laughed and said thanks.

then went to my barber for only the second time recently after years of break due to covid and just using clippers myself... and we were talking cars and i said "yeah, i'm driving my 'covid car' today... got it because wasn't sure what the future held during the dark days there or if we'd have another, worse, pandemic in the future." he wanted to see it so we went out and he had no idea what it was, but was drooling over it, haha.

then pulled up to a light and two guys on huge custom harleys were next to me and one yelled at me (not mad) and i opened the window. he said "you wanna do a trade?" i laughed and he said "that's great how many horsepower?!" i told him and off i zoomed with some cracking shifts.

It’s a very stunning looking car and that’s hard to argue. Might not be a car I would get but I do appreciate a nice LC.
Old 06-21-24, 02:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Got my Tundra back from the dealer today, all fixed up. Pretty happy to have it back!
Old 06-21-24, 03:38 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
Got my Tundra back from the dealer today, all fixed up. Pretty happy to have it back!
Good to hear. Sticking with it?
Old 06-21-24, 03:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Most likely, at least for another year. By then, my GS will be paid off so it will be an easier pill to swallow. I do really like the new Tundras, but I've been spending a lot of time on the 3rd gen forum and the multitude of failures are a bit frightening. I absolutely loved the GMC Sierra I drove, but at $87k, it's a big decision. Thankfully, when I picked up my Tundra this afternoon, the joy came rushing back and it felt so good to drive it, so I feel okay sticking with it for another year (as long as the issues don't return). I don't love how it tows, but I can deal. We only have two more camping trips planned for this summer. One is fairly local (within an hour of home), though the other one is a solid 4 hour drive across the mountain pass and then some. I did that drive last year, I can do it again this year. I must be growing up, as I just don't want to spend the money.
Old 06-21-24, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Love it! Good times
Old 06-21-24, 07:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
The K cars were a real bonifide POS.
cheap though.

hey not car related but just saw this and thought of you.

Old 06-21-24, 07:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Looking back I really admire the 2nd generation design. The new model just doesn’t live up to the expectations IMO. And there are too many things to go bad like active shutters, motorized tail gate, and the panoramic roof is a waste of money. Interior is pathetic. And the there is a temporary spare. I think it’s great they added adaptive suspension and an air springs. One thing that is odd is that the front of the top roof hangs down more than other models. It’s very unusual. When I see the 2nd gen, I like the overall exterior design, especially the double cab. I respect that there is no start stop, it’s a V8 and the gearing is not designed for fuel economy. My only real issue is the lack of a fully boxed frame, I just don't understand how Toyota can have a fully boxed for their non USA trucks like the Hilux, Land Cruiser pick up truck, old trucks from the 80s and 90s like T1000. And it truly is a let down that there has never been an auto 4WD mode. The last generation 4Runner V6, and the 1st and 2nd gen Sequoia had multi-mode 4WD, so you could go 2WD, Full time 4WD and 50:50 Such a strange company when it comes to the Tundra. The Truck That’s Changing It All I think is better

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-21-24 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-21-24, 07:59 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

cheap though.

hey not car related but just saw this and thought of you.

That was last Friday and Saturday for me banging my head against the wall trying to finish what should have been a simple program. But, the sensor that needed testing was running a "bastard" SPI clock speed and it was humbling being defeated so many times over and over Got it done tho. Haha

I hate computers! 🤓
Spoiler

Last edited by Margate330; 06-21-24 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-21-24, 08:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Looking back I really admire the 2nd generation design. The new model just doesn’t live up to the expectations IMO. And there are too many things to go bad like active shutters, motorized tail gate, and the panoramic roof is a waste of money. Interior is pathetic. And the there is a temporary spare. I think it’s great they added adaptive suspension and an air springs. One thing that is odd is that the front of the top roof hangs down more than other models. It’s very unusual. When I see the 2nd gen, I like the overall exterior design, especially the double cab. I respect that there is no start stop, it’s a V8 and the gearing is not designed for fuel economy. My only real issue is the lack of a fully boxed frame, I just don't understand how Toyota can have a fully boxed for their non USA trucks like the Hilux, Land Cruiser pick up truck, old trucks from the 80s and 90s like T1000. And it truly is a let down that there has never been an auto 4WD mode. The last generation 4Runner V6, and the 1st and 2nd gen Sequoia had multi-mode 4WD, so you could go 2WD, Full time 4WD and 50:50 Such a strange company when it comes to the Tundra. The Truck That’s Changing It All I think is better
I really like the new interior. Dismiss the pano roof, but I love them and one of my biggest hang ups with moving to a GMC is the lack of a panoramic sunroof. What do you mean by a power tailgate? I didn’t see that as an option. Unless you mean the power unlock/unlatch?

For me, I couldn’t care less about the lack of a full time 4WD system thought I do recognize that it’s important to some others.

I loved the hybrid powertrain, and the fact that you can get a crew max with the long bed. Prices are good, too. Maybe in a year I’ll look again. Too many issues for now.
Old 06-21-24, 11:27 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Most likely, at least for another year. By then, my GS will be paid off so it will be an easier pill to swallow. I do really like the new Tundras, but I've been spending a lot of time on the 3rd gen forum and the multitude of failures are a bit frightening. I absolutely loved the GMC Sierra I drove, but at $87k, it's a big decision. Thankfully, when I picked up my Tundra this afternoon, the joy came rushing back and it felt so good to drive it, so I feel okay sticking with it for another year (as long as the issues don't return). I don't love how it tows, but I can deal. We only have two more camping trips planned for this summer. One is fairly local (within an hour of home), though the other one is a solid 4 hour drive across the mountain pass and then some. I did that drive last year, I can do it again this year. I must be growing up, as I just don't want to spend the money.
I bet the hybrid tows on another level compared to our 5.7 because I was impressed with how the non hybrid towed. I’m still thinking about adding a blower. The prices of new trucks are getting out of hand. If you get tired of your 2nd gen throw a blower on it. Feel like a new truck.

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
The big screen and pano roof are nice touches in the 3rd gen but the quality didn’t seem like it was on par compared to the 2nd gen. And again the fake engine sound is horrible imo.

I really like the new interior. Dismiss the pano roof, but I love them and one of my biggest hang ups with moving to a GMC is the lack of a panoramic sunroof. What do you mean by a power tailgate? I didn’t see that as an option. Unless you mean the power unlock/unlatch?

For me, I couldn’t care less about the lack of a full time 4WD system thought I do recognize that it’s important to some others.

I loved the hybrid powertrain, and the fact that you can get a crew max with the long bed. Prices are good, too. Maybe in a year I’ll look again. Too many issues for now.
Have you driven the non hybrid. If so how would you compare the two?
Old 06-22-24, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The big screen and pano roof are nice touches in the 3rd gen but the quality didn’t seem like it was on par compared to the 2nd gen. And again the fake engine sound is horrible imo.
Super lame. ^^

only 2500 miles and someone put cheaper different branded tires on the back…. I just don’t understand why people are so cheap

nice effort by Toyota to put the battery in the rear. Even though the regular Corolla hatch models are up front.

I really love the effort. Saab is a unique brand and you don’t see this very often.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-22-24 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-22-24, 10:28 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Pretty heavy load. I was only one there in a 1/2 ton. Everyone else in 3/4 and 1 ton. My brother in the Ford. I wanted to hook up to the gooseneck trailer but he suggested it was too heavy. I ain’t scared!!🫣
Old 06-22-24, 10:31 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

It's a lifesaver if there's ever a problem with the trailer and someone has to pull over on a soft shoulder or open field where lack of traction can ruin someone's day.

That's for Florida, up north in the snow 4x4 may be a lifesaver for winter towing, I don't know and have no experience on that.

Add, there was a few times I wished I had 4x4 for launching a boat on a sketchy boat ramp, made me very nervous.
Old 06-22-24, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty heavy load. I was only one there in a 1/2 ton. Everyone else in 3/4 and 1 ton. My brother in the Ford. I wanted to hook up to the gooseneck trailer but he suggested it was too heavy. I ain’t scared!!🫣
No trouble braking?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1