Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-24, 10:47 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
given how much you drive, that'll be the end of the summer?

anyway, question: why don't you take the prime on more trips?
Ikr.

Mainly use the Prime as an in town daily in which it lives in EV mode. It’s been on 3 road trips I believe with at least 2 more scheduled this year.

Example, over the weekend my wife made a 400 mile turnaround roundtrip so with just her in the car she took the Prius. She daily the LX.
Old 06-25-24, 05:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
​​​​​I'm sorry but your link isn't showing.
Yeah it’s some Facebook link thing. I tried lol
Old 06-25-24, 07:52 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Few things. The worst rental car I ever had was a 2012 VW Passat. It was noisy, thrashy, and uncomfortable. Also, it’s not really a great car if you are hanging out with *** hole grad school buddies 15 years after graduation. They said it’s too bad our grad school didn’t have a Greek system because I could have rushed a sorority lol. The close second was an awful Citroën crossover in Germany.

I briefly worked in the rental car industry 30 years ago. An acquaintance told me they like to buy used rental cars because they’re confident all of the maintenance is performed on schedule. I almost spit out my drink laughing. The strip mall rental places don’t have maintenance staff or facilities. They also deliberately run lean on cars to maximize revenue and profit. This means removing a car from service is expensive. The service schedule for each car would pop up on our computers and we would override the alerts which marked the service as completed when it wasn’t. Our only vehicles that got regular service were Astro Vans because the fuel pumps would crap out, so the service would be done along with the fuel pump replacement. I recall that every Astro Van I rented out that headed to Vegas had a fuel pump failure on the trip. Fun.

Lastly, an American Airlines 747 was a rare bird. I don’t think they had many and I don’t believe they were in the fleet for long. They went heavily into DC10s. I disliked flying on those. Of course, flying is not pleasant now either, but it was miserable when smoking on planes was permitted. I am old enough to remember those days. I am also skeptical that the truck in the commercial could tow a 747. Cool story though.
Old 06-25-24, 08:00 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Few thiink they had many and I don’t believe they were in the fleet for long. They went heavily into DC10s. I disliked flying on those. Of course, flying is not pleasant now either, but it was miserable when smoking on planes was permitted. I am old enough to remember those days. I am also skeptical that the truck in the commercial could tow a 747. Cool story though.
OT but I can't belieeeeeeeeeveeeeee you could smoke on planes. I never remember it but was alive when they did it. My parents' honeymoon thew went to Hawaii and my mother still has horror stories, my stepdad smoked though. Imagine a flight that long in an enclosed plane with cigarette smoke.
Old 06-25-24, 09:08 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
OT but I can't belieeeeeeeeeveeeeee you could smoke on planes. I never remember it but was alive when they did it. My parents' honeymoon thew went to Hawaii and my mother still has horror stories, my stepdad smoked though. Imagine a flight that long in an enclosed plane with cigarette smoke.
I would light up a cigar just for you. Haha
Old 06-25-24, 11:46 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I would light up a cigar just for you. Haha
Notice how planes don’t have the “fill in” divot in the armrests that used to be ashtrays. Haven’t seen those in a while.

Smoke doesn’t bother me, but on a plane it would.
Old 06-25-24, 12:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So my car is a "pinched seal up front", they have to order the seal and it will be there a few days.

The negotiations on a new one, right now they're at $450 a month more than what I pay for my car, which is a really tough pill to swallow. I told myself if they could get it within $250-300 I would do it. I'm owed another counter offer.

Negotiating with dealers today is wild. Its like they try to gaslight that discounting a car from MSRP is some foreign concept. Right now they have come down $10k and I'm using a $5,500 rebate I have through AMEX, so its $15,500 off, they're also marking up the money factor, and turning my car in which means I'm going to have to pay the mileage overages. The deal I have from the broker is $16,000 off before the rebates.
Old 06-25-24, 12:27 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I remember it traveling as a child and flying from LA to New England to visit family in the 80s. The smoking section was typically in front of non smoking economy. It was gross. My last smoking allowed flight was when I flew from LAX to Frankfurt in 1991. It was my first trip to Europe.

Back to cars. I did see a lot of cars I liked in Germany. I like wagons and they were and still are everywhere in Germany. I was a broke *** student on a student visa with no work permit. My German friends who had cars (3 guys) had cars nobody wanted. Having a car you would want in Europe is very expensive. They do have so many wantable cars that we don’t get here.
Old 06-25-24, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We're about $50 apart. They're agreeing to take mine in on trade instead of turning it in, which relieves me of the excess mileage and runflats. Honestly I would have just done it but the guy was a little nasty to me, so he can worry about it all night and we'll talk again in the morning. They're marking up the MF and I called him on it and he didn't appreciate that
Old 06-25-24, 01:36 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
... They're marking up the MF and I called him on it and he didn't appreciate that
I don't know what MF is but yeah, it embarrasses them when you call out the games

Even when done in a nice way.
Maybe because they know their nice guy cover is blown. Lol

I'm surprised they didn't do the good cop bad cop routine too.
Old 06-25-24, 01:48 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Few things. The worst rental car I ever had was a 2012 VW Passat. It was noisy, thrashy, and uncomfortable. Also, it’s not really a great car if you are hanging out with *** hole grad school buddies 15 years after graduation. They said it’s too bad our grad school didn’t have a Greek system because I could have rushed a sorority lol. The close second was an awful Citroën crossover in Germany.

I briefly worked in the rental car industry 30 years ago. An acquaintance told me they like to buy used rental cars because they’re confident all of the maintenance is performed on schedule. I almost spit out my drink laughing. The strip mall rental places don’t have maintenance staff or facilities. They also deliberately run lean on cars to maximize revenue and profit. This means removing a car from service is expensive. The service schedule for each car would pop up on our computers and we would override the alerts which marked the service as completed when it wasn’t. Our only vehicles that got regular service were Astro Vans because the fuel pumps would crap out, so the service would be done along with the fuel pump replacement. I recall that every Astro Van I rented out that headed to Vegas had a fuel pump failure on the trip. Fun.

Lastly, an American Airlines 747 was a rare bird. I don’t think they had many and I don’t believe they were in the fleet for long. They went heavily into DC10s. I disliked flying on those. Of course, flying is not pleasant now either, but it was miserable when smoking on planes was permitted. I am old enough to remember those days. I am also skeptical that the truck in the commercial could tow a 747. Cool story though.

Yeah AA got rid of their few 747's in the 80's or 90's.
Old 06-25-24, 02:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know what MF is but yeah, it embarrasses them when you call out the games

Even when done in a nice way.
Maybe because they know their nice guy cover is blown. Lol

I'm surprised they didn't do the good cop bad cop routine too.
Especially when they’re trying to talk me out of the broker because “I’m buying a relationship” lol. Not to mention that literally nobody who I dealt with in 2020 is still there.
Old 06-25-24, 02:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

We're about $50 apart. They're agreeing to take mine in on trade instead of turning it in, which relieves me of the excess mileage and runflats. Honestly I would have just done it but the guy was a little nasty to me, so he can worry about it all night and we'll talk again in the morning. They're marking up the MF and I called him on it and he didn't appreciate that
It sounds like you're getting close but It's too bad it has to be such an ordeal. What is the color combination on the car you're negotiating on?
Old 06-25-24, 03:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Ikr.

Mainly use the Prime as an in town daily in which it lives in EV mode. It’s been on 3 road trips I believe with at least 2 more scheduled this year.

Example, over the weekend my wife made a 400 mile turnaround roundtrip so with just her in the car she took the Prius. She daily the LX.
‘Does the long term durability or replacement cost ever come to mind with your hybrids?
Old 06-25-24, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

So my car is a "pinched seal up front", they have to order the seal and it will be there a few days.

The negotiations on a new one, right now they're at $450 a month more than what I pay for my car, which is a really tough pill to swallow. I told myself if they could get it within $250-300 I would do it. I'm owed another counter offer.

Negotiating with dealers today is wild. It's like they try to gaslight that discounting a car from MSRP is some foreign concept. Right now they have come down $10k and I'm using a $5,500 rebate I have through AMEX, so its $15,500 off, they're also marking up the money factor, and turning my car in which means I'm going to have to pay the mileage overages. The deal I have from the broker is $16,000 off before the rebates.
Sorry, but I missed some of your previous posts. What are you negotiating on now.....apparantly another new S-class? Lease or Purchase?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1