Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-24, 04:40 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think we have a deal...$335 more a month than what I am paying. Don't feel great about it, but all things considered its probably the best outcome.

Its selenite grey with a black interior, has the exclusive nappa interior which is the one thing I always wished mine had, that gets leather covering everything and the suede headliner.

Yep, new S580 lease.
What is the MF on it? I would imagine that may be a big difference compared to where you were on your old lease. On the Cayenne if I lease the MF equates to over 9% but I think the residual is high to offset it a little. I’ll run the numbers when the time comes to determine if I lease or buy but would prefer to lease if it makes sense.

I don’t know what the AMG package looks like, does this car have it? I do like the wheels and they will be easy to clean.
Old 06-26-24, 05:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
What is the MF on it? I would imagine that may be a big difference compared to where you were on your old lease. On the Cayenne if I lease the MF equates to over 9% but I think the residual is high to offset it a little. I’ll run the numbers when the time comes to determine if I lease or buy but would prefer to lease if it makes sense.

I don’t know what the AMG package looks like, does this car have it? I do like the wheels and they will be easy to clean.
The retail MF is .0017 and they’re marking it up to .0018, he got “special approval” to only screw me by .0010. So not terrible, it’s like 4.2%. His whole
demeanor changed when I called him on that. I went back and said you give me the retail MF then you have a deal and they said no. It’s about $19 a month. “Yes it is, It’s totally reasonable to mark that up to .0018”. F you lol

What I hate is the lack of transparency. Give me real numbers without hiding numbers. They’re still making about $3,500 on the car and the same car as mine with slightly more mileage is on their lot for $8,000 more than they are giving me for mine, so this is not a profit less deal.

To me that’s the difference between honest dealers and dishonest dealers. I’ve only paid an inflated MF one other time, on my 2014 Grand Cherokee and that was a zero deal, that salesman too totally turned into a ***** after I called him on the MF. I think it’s that they know they’ve been caught being sneaky. I will probably do it anyways because this car is an option package that is unusual, most cars with the exclusive Napa are also so highly optioned in other ways I don’t want the price is $145k+ even $150k. This car is exactly how I would have ordered it, exclusive Napa without the 3D gauges or the 3D HUD, no rear wheel steer. He’s going to hear about it on the survey though.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-26-24 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-26-24, 05:31 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

We're about $50 apart. They're agreeing to take mine in on trade instead of turning it in, which relieves me of the excess mileage and runflats. Honestly I would have just done it but the guy was a little nasty to me, so he can worry about it all night and we'll talk again in the morning. They're marking up the MF and I called him on it and he didn't appreciate that
The retail MF is .0017 and they’re marking it up to .0018, he got “special approval” to only screw me by .0010. So not terrible, it’s like 4.2%. His whole
demeanor changed when I called him on that. I went back and said you give me the retail MF then you have a deal and they said no. It’s about $19 a month. “Yes it is, It’s totally reasonable to mark that up to .0018”. F you lol

What I hate is the lack of transparency. Give me real numbers without hiding numbers. They’re still making about $3,500 on the car and the same car as mine with slightly more mileage is on their lot for $8,000 more than they are giving me for mine, so this is not a profit less deal.

To me that’s the difference between honest dealers and dishonest dealers. I’ve only paid an inflated MF one other time, on my 2014 Grand Cherokee and that was a zero deal, that salesman too totally turned into a ***** after I called him on the MF. I think it’s that they know they’ve been caught being sneaky. I will probably do it anyways because this car is an option package that is unusual, most cars with the exclusive Napa are also so highly optioned in other ways I don’t want the price is $145k+ even $150k. This car is exactly how I would have ordered it, exclusive Napa without the 3D gauges or the 3D HUD, no rear wheel steer. He’s going to hear about it on the survey though.
I don't miss the dealer back and forth at all...
Old 06-26-24, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No. Horrible. I have literally been working on this for 4 months, I have negotiated with at least 4 different dealers...

I just paid them a deposit, so hopefully they can secure the car and get it up here. Its in Kentucky.
Old 06-26-24, 07:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Toyota got the TRD Pro right. Looks great. Excellent proportions and size. Really well done

Also saw this gem today
Old 06-26-24, 07:24 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats on the new car Steve. From the photos, it’s a beautiful car.
Old 06-26-24, 07:30 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

The new generation of Benz sedans are quite impressive, I'm happy to hear you like the C as much as you do. I've considered them on and off and am really interested in a CLE450 Cab at some point.

Good luck on the pending deal!
Old 06-26-24, 07:32 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

Highlighting that you know their buy rate and that you caught them surreptitiously marking up the MF is never a bad idea, it lets them know they are not dealing with an amateur and tends to put a stop to most of the deal shenanigans.

Keep us posted and good luck! Car looks great!
Old 06-26-24, 07:40 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Toyota got the TRD Pro right. Looks great. Excellent proportions and size. Really well done
It looks good until you see the window sticker. Just did a quick AutoTrader search, 3 closest to me are $66-$68k.

I'd much rather have a new Frontier Pro 4X for $25k less.
Old 06-26-24, 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys, until its in the driveway I don't consider it a done deal lol

Originally Posted by TheRas900
The new generation of Benz sedans are quite impressive, I'm happy to hear you like the C as much as you do. I've considered them on and off and am really interested in a CLE450 Cab at some point.

Good luck on the pending deal!
Yeah I am really impressed with the C. It rides great despite being on really low profile tires. They have a CLE cab on the showroom floor, it looks great...
Old 06-26-24, 07:44 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Steve, that S580 looks awesome. Selenite Gray is a big . Those AMG style wheels are beautiful. Good luck on the deal.
Old 06-26-24, 07:54 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I haven't had anyone mark up the MF before and like you I always come armed with the current programs up front so they don't try it and know that I know how leasing works. On my Durango the sales guy tried to hose me when they weren't going to give me the tax credit on the sales tax for my trade which I didn't notice until I was in the finance office and I was annoyed about that one and called him out on that. Hopefully all goes well and you don't see any more shenanigans from the dealer. It's sad that you have to have an eagle eye to see little things they try to do.
Old 06-26-24, 07:56 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its selenite grey with a black interior, has the exclusive nappa interior which is the one thing I always wished mine had, that gets leather covering everything and the suede headliner.

Yep, new S580 lease.
That’s a very nice color combo. I like that Gray. And the interior on the W223 is so over the top I think it looks better in black than the lighter colors.
Old 06-26-24, 09:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
It looks good until you see the window sticker. Just did a quick AutoTrader search, 3 closest to me are $66-$68k.

I'd much rather have a new Frontier Pro 4X for $25k less.
Different world now. I looked up some of the specs. Adaptive Variable Suspension, electric stabilizer bar, power rear tail gate, USC-C plug in the bed among all the other plugs, locking diff, aluminum skid plate, special running boards, expensive tires X5, fancy suspension in the seats, turbo, hybrid battery, even has a starter, coolants for the inverter. weighs more. fully boxed frame. There is a lot of stuff that is jacking up the prices. All the hybrid component definitely inflate the costs and mass of the vehicle as well

But it still has primitive part-time 4WD

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-26-24 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-26-24, 09:38 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 971 Likes on 775 Posts

No. Horrible. I have literally been working on this for 4 months, I have negotiated with at least 4 different dealers...

I just paid them a deposit, so hopefully they can secure the car and get it up here. Its in Kentucky.
I see why you're successful in real estate.
You negotiate hard but always willing to walk away if the deal is not a win.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1