Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-24, 12:11 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I don't understand what cutting someone off exactly does? It just shows that the other driver got the best of you. same with flipping the bird, that says a lot about a drivers maturity
From what I understand it just happens and can't be helped.

That's why I refuse to drive a Dodge Charger or riced out Honda,, because all my years of safe driving will be lost forever and I don't want that to happen.
Old 06-26-24, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Didn't even notice my extended finger as I pulled along side her on the right.
Perhaps it's a good thing she didn't notice. Male or Female, you never know what kind of crank you could be dealing with on the road, their temperament, or what kind of weapon they might have. The last thing we want here at Car Chat is to be reading about you on the news tonight.
Old 06-26-24, 12:20 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
@SW17LS is picky about tires.
He'll probably replace all 4 a week after delivery on whatever car he buys. Haha
I know you intended this as a joke, but I'm pretty sure you're right. Looks like it will have Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 runflats, which don't review particularly well (noisy, rough ride, exceptionally poor tire wear). I'd put the chances that he's already ordered new tires at about 30%.
Old 06-26-24, 12:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,229 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I know you intended this as a joke, but I'm pretty sure you're right. Looks like it will have Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 runflats, which don't review particularly well (noisy, rough ride, exceptionally poor tire wear). I'd put the chances that he's already ordered new tires at about 30%.
Yeah those won't last on his car more than a month, tops lol!
Old 06-26-24, 12:24 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thanks guys, until its in the driveway I don't consider it a done deal lol

Yeah I am really impressed with the C. It rides great despite being on really low profile tires. They have a CLE cab on the showroom floor, it looks great...
Yeah, those CLE Cabs are really nice looking. The coupe is sleek too. I also like you can get the I6 and massage seats where you can't in a regular C sedan.
Old 06-26-24, 12:28 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Im the same way if I am leasing a car. Sometimes the tires on a car suck but you need them if you happen to turn your lease in so I will usually buy the tires I like and store the old tires for when I am turning the car in.
Old 06-26-24, 12:29 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Outside of an IS500, I'd much rather have the G70 than an IS. The 3.3t blows the 2GR out of the water in performance.

My buddy just picked up a 2021 with the 3.3 and it's great. Looks fantastic.
Agree, G70 all day long over the IS 300 & 350s.
Old 06-26-24, 12:30 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Thanks all! We have secured the car from the dealer in KY, waiting to see how long it will take. Have a tentative appointment Monday for clear bra for the front.

All assuming that they don’t screw me at the last minute lol
Congrats on what seems to be a promising deal! I, too, don't count it until it's parked at home.
Old 06-26-24, 12:50 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup either those or Bridgestone Turanza runflats. 255/45R19. I’d replace with Pirelli P7s
Old 06-26-24, 12:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's a beauty, congrats. you work hard and deserve it! s there anything this one doesn't have that you wanted?
Thank you! I will reply underneath to the second part

was nice driving a big sedan for the 3 years i had the g90, but i think my days of very long sedans are probably done. i like the maneuverability of a smaller vehicle. obviously rear wheel steering can help!
I will say this little C Class is zippy. I had it downtown today for a business lunch and I just swept in and took a little parallel space, not bad!

Originally Posted by patgilm
Congrats, good news for you. Always nice to have a new car and the color combo looks great. As someone else mentioned, any options it doesn’t have that you would’ve wanted?
Thanks! Only thing is the wheels, I would have preferred the multi-spoke 20s but these will ride better.

These are what this one has:

These are the 20s

@SW17LS is picky about tires.
He'll probably replace all 4 a week after delivery on whatever car he buys. Haha
Spoiler

Actually this one I probably wont. the new MO MB tires (thats their runflat spec) ride so much better, and the car rides incredibly well on them. This C I have with super low profile run flats also rides great.

Plus that size there really aren't many good tire options...so the OEM ones are probably as good as it will get.

According to the dealer I should have it by the weekend.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-26-24 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-26-24, 12:55 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Yup either those or Bridgestone Turanza runflats. 255/45R19. I’d replace with Pirelli P7s
In theory that's a possibility, but this specific car has the Hankooks.

Old 06-26-24, 01:09 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually this one I probably wont. the new MO MB tires (thats their runflat spec) ride so much better, and the car rides incredibly well on them. This C I have with super low profile run flats also rides great.

Would you say they ride better the Procontact run flats your current car came with?
Old 06-26-24, 01:12 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

These are the 20s

Plus that size there really aren't many good tire options...so the OEM ones are probably as good as it will get..
Cool, tires are pass!
That saves a couple thousand. Lol

I'm quite shocked but it is a Mercedes.
Old 06-26-24, 01:22 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,823 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Agree, G70 all day long over the IS 300 & 350s.
To be honest, looking back, it is interesting that I chose an IS 350 over a G70 3.3T at the time. The dealer wasn't giving us the best deal on our IS 350, and I had been considering testing a G70 out. So I said to my wife, "Let's just go see how the G70 is and come back if we don't like it. Can't hurt to try something else." But the dealer then revealed to me that there was an Iridium with Circuit Red interior IS 350 just coming in, and that we should take a look at it. It was much preferable to me to the Caviar car that I had test-drove. I'm not big on black cars. But anyway, somehow I fell in love with it once I drove the one in the spec I actually wanted.

But now that I have driven a G70, it is simply a more modern car and is a better value for the money. Now, I can't say whether the quality and reliability will be as good as in the Lexus. And, there were some things I could nit-pick about the G70. For one, I don't particularly like the throttle calibration - it feels a bit dead from a stop. Unless I am in Sport+, I really have to press that pedal. I think the pedal itself has quite a bit of resistance, too. Also, the rear seats seem a bit lower or more reclined than in the IS, which makes for a weird seating position in the rear. On the plus side, the rear door openings are wider, so it may be easier to enter and exit. But still, not the best for tall people. But I mean, honestly, it is a great package. If it weren't for the IS 500, I agree, there's not much in the IS lineup to really sway a buyer over a G70 particularly for the money. In fact, I think I like the G70's steering and braking feel more than either the IS or a 3-series. It feels like it was tuned by people who like to drive.

I just need to drive the V-6 version, cause the four-cylinder turbo was the most "meh" engine I've experienced in a sport sedan in some time.
Old 06-26-24, 01:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
To be honest, looking back, it is interesting that I chose an IS 350 over a G70 3.3T at the time. The dealer wasn't giving us the best deal on our IS 350, and I had been considering testing a G70 out. So I said to my wife, "Let's just go see how the G70 is and come back if we don't like it. Can't hurt to try something else." But the dealer then revealed to me that there was an Iridium with Circuit Red interior IS 350 just coming in, and that we should take a look at it. It was much preferable to me to the Caviar car that I had test-drove. I'm not big on black cars. But anyway, somehow I fell in love with it once I drove the one in the spec I actually wanted.

But now that I have driven a G70, it is simply a more modern car and is a better value for the money. Now, I can't say whether the quality and reliability will be as good as in the Lexus. And, there were some things I could nit-pick about the G70. For one, I don't particularly like the throttle calibration - it feels a bit dead from a stop. Unless I am in Sport+, I really have to press that pedal. I think the pedal itself has quite a bit of resistance, too. Also, the rear seats seem a bit lower or more reclined than in the IS, which makes for a weird seating position in the rear. On the plus side, the rear door openings are wider, so it may be easier to enter and exit. But still, not the best for tall people. But I mean, honestly, it is a great package. If it weren't for the IS 500, I agree, there's not much in the IS lineup to really sway a buyer over a G70 particularly for the money. In fact, I think I like the G70's steering and braking feel more than either the IS or a 3-series. It feels like it was tuned by people who like to drive.

I just need to drive the V-6 version, cause the four-cylinder turbo was the most "meh" engine I've experienced in a sport sedan in some time.
The G70 is the better value until you have trade it in, or get it repaired, or fix a recall

Cool, tires are pass!
That saves a couple thousand. Lol

I'm quite shocked but it is a Mercedes.
There is nothing wrong with Hankook tires.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1