Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-24, 02:12 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
The G70 is the better value until you have trade it in, or get it repaired, or fix a recall
More to life than just resale value and reliability. For me, an IS350 is just too boring to drive. I don't want to be running around in an NA V6 when I could drive a turbocharged V6 or I6 from Genesis or BMW.

If you drove the 3.3t V6 from Hyundai or the 3 liter B58 I6 from BMW, you'd have a hard time driving something with a 2GR. Just too boring and anemic. We have nice mountain roads around here that are fun to go carve up in a hot RWD car. An IS350 running out of breath at 5,000 RPM the whole way is not my idea of a good time.
Old 06-26-24, 02:17 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,765 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
More to life than just resale value and reliability. For me, an IS350 is just too boring to drive. I don't want to be running around in an NA V6 when I could drive a turbocharged V6 or I6 from Genesis or BMW.

If you drove the 3.3t V6 from Hyundai or the 3 liter B58 I6 from BMW, you'd have a hard time driving something with a 2GR. Just too boring and anemic. We have nice mountain roads around here that are fun to go carve up in a hot RWD car. An IS350 running out of breath at 5,000 RPM the whole way is not my idea of a good time.
Yikes, man. You make it sound like the IS 350 is a dog to drive, when that is definitely not the case. I drove mine up in the mountains quite often and enjoyed it - even managed to keep up with IS Fs on occassion. And, for what it's worth, I'd rather have the 2GR than the four-cylinder in the base G70, even if it has a lot less torque. It just drives a lot smoother and more naturally, which, to me, is just as important as power.

The 3.3T is a completely different story. It's a great engine, and for similar money as an IS 350, it's almost a no-brainer. But, still, an I6 from BMW in a sedan like this is going to either be A) used or B) more expensive than an IS 350.

I don't disagree with the notion of the newer engines being more powerful and responsive, but also, you have to admit that a naturally-aspirated engine has some advantages.
Old 06-26-24, 02:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

You have valid points, on the hand my brother lost two Hyundai’s because of their poor engines and traded it in for a German MB who also blew the engine..and I have a good friend who had her KIA lose her engine from the lack of an low oil light, KIa did put in a new engine for her.. I don’t really have much of an interest in turbos.
Old 06-26-24, 02:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Would you say they ride better the Procontact run flats your current car came with?
Oh yeah, it rides at least a little better than my car on the non run-flats. The 19s on this have thicker sidewalls. The one I drove the other day on 19s even aired at 42 PSI rode great

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-26-24 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-26-24, 03:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

The 2GR is perfectly fine, until you try any other contemporary V6/I6 at least. Viewed in a vacuum it's a smooth engine and the best of it's era but that era was back in 2007
Old 06-26-24, 03:46 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yikes, man. You make it sound like the IS 350 is a dog to drive, when that is definitely not the case. I drove mine up in the mountains quite often and enjoyed it - even managed to keep up with IS Fs on occassion. And, for what it's worth, I'd rather have the 2GR than the four-cylinder in the base G70, even if it has a lot less torque. It just drives a lot smoother and more naturally, which, to me, is just as important as power.

The 3.3T is a completely different story. It's a great engine, and for similar money as an IS 350, it's almost a no-brainer. But, still, an I6 from BMW in a sedan like this is going to either be A) used or B) more expensive than an IS 350.

I don't disagree with the notion of the newer engines being more powerful and responsive, but also, you have to admit that a naturally-aspirated engine has some advantages.
I'm with you. I had 2 3 IS cars. The 250 was very nice, but slow. The 350 was really a pleasure. I only didn't buy it off lease because the numbers didn't make sense. I really have nothing negative to say about it. It was a beautiful car and I miss it sometimes.
Old 06-26-24, 04:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The 2GR is perfectly fine, until you try any other contemporary V6/I6 at least. Viewed in a vacuum it's a smooth engine and the best of it's era but that era was back in 2007
Our IS350 sounded like a vacuum when you hammered it. I hardly drove that car...bleh.

The Toyota 2GR is potent but not really refined.
Old 06-26-24, 04:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
T
Thanks! Only thing is the wheels, I would have preferred the multi-spoke 20s but these will ride better.

These are what this one has:

These are the 20s

Actually this one I probably wont. the new MO MB tires (thats their runflat spec) ride so much better, and the car rides incredibly well on them. This C I have with super low profile run flats also rides great.

Plus that size there really aren't many good tire options...so the OEM ones are probably as good as it will get.

According to the dealer I should have it by the weekend.
I actually like the 19" wheel styling better than the multi-spoke 20's. Perfect for me would be 5 spoke wheels but in 20" sizes but you can't have it all I guess.
Old 06-26-24, 05:46 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't understand what cutting someone off exactly does? It just shows that the other driver got the best of you. same with flipping the bird, that says a lot about a drivers maturity
Here in SoCal, it always happens. I disagree with a subsequent comment here that it cannot be helped. It seems to happen because most people don’t plan ahead and are even surprised when their exit or turn comes up on a route they probably know very well. Paying attention and planning ahead would alleviate it significantly in my opinion, but I doubt that it’s practical to do that. I get cut off all the time and probably it’s because I don’t tailgate. If there’s tons of room behind me, I still get cut off anyway. People are generally not courteous.

It used to bother me. Now, I just accept it. I don’t extend the finger anymore. If I choose to express my displeasure, there is a German gesture which is just waving your hand in front of your face with no digit extended. It doesn’t change anything but I am probably less likely to get shot if I do that.

Tailgating does bother me, but it’s also just something I expect. I will get rear ended at some point. It’s just a matter of time. It’s usually SUVers who tailgate. At some point, the combination of a heavy vehicle with a lousy driver has a bad end result.

Last edited by link13; 06-26-24 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-26-24, 06:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by link13
Here in SoCal, it always happens. I disagree with a subsequent comment here that it cannot be helped. It seems to happen because most people don’t plan ahead and are even surprised when their exit or turn comes up on a route they probably know very well. Paying attention and planning ahead would alleviate it significantly in my opinion, but I doubt that it’s practical to do that. I get cut off all the time and probably it’s because I don’t tailgate. If there’s tons of room behind me, I still get cut off anyway. People are generally not courteous.

It used to bother me. Now, I just accept it. I don’t extend the finger anymore. If I choose to express my displeasure, there is a German gesture which is just waving your hand in front of your face with no digit extended. It doesn’t change anything but I am probably less likely to get shot if I do that.

Tailgating does bother me, but it’s also just something I expect. I will get rear ended at some point. It’s just a matter of time. It’s usually SUVers who tailgate. At some point, the combination of a heavy vehicle with a lousy driver has a bad end result.
around here. It’s pointless to speed. There are so many slow downs. Traffic is really bad. Just brutal. I just started to go the speed limit in the right lane and sometimes in the middle because it is a gonna stop and really slow down a few miles up the road.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-26-24 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-26-24, 07:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

around here. It’s pointless to speed. There are so many slow downs. Traffic is really bad. Just brutal. I just started to go the speed limit in the right lane and sometimes in the middle because it is a gonna stop and really slow down a few miles up the road.
Then you can also forget about the police pulling you over. I also don't speed excessively (enough to get a legit ticket).
Old 06-26-24, 07:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Then you can also forget about the police pulling you over. I also don't speed excessively (enough to get a legit ticket).
or construction
Old 06-26-24, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

Police and speed-cameras usually won't bother you unless you are around 10 or more MPH over the posted limit.
Old 06-26-24, 09:14 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I see why you're successful in real estate.
You negotiate hard but always willing to walk away if the deal is not a win.
Walked away deals over $250 and $500 apart. Guess I didn’t want them that bad.
Old 06-27-24, 05:57 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Ain't that the truth. I loved my 08 IS350 but when I got my 15 GS350 and it had the same engine and transmission (6 speed in the AWD) it felt its age. The GS's extra weight didn't help it either

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1